Mike Keith doing play by play for Vol Hoops?

Strongly disagree with that. Were he ever offered the UT job that Kesling has now, I think he would take it in a flash. Covering UT sports would likely be a dream for him.

Most likely would come down to the Benjamins.

I can't stand this guy, or his over exaggerated commentary. WE GAINED A YARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just way too much. Will never listen to Vol radio again if he gets the full time gig.

Reactions: 1 person
Mike Keith is the best in the business at what he does right now.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jnt8e-xGg[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYu42eqrQGQ[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I normally think the criticism for a play-by-play guy is unwarranted, but I tried to listen to a half on the radio this season and Kesling seemed confused and it was very difficult to follow the play with him calling it. I like his voice fine, but would much rather someone like Mike calling the plays.

Well I salute you for attempting something I have never had the desire to try. While I could never count the number of games, both football and basketball, I listened to while John Ward sat behind the mike, I am yet to listen to the entirety of a Bob Kesling broadcast. However, I have heard enough snippets to doubt I ever will.

Bob has some struggles but Mike Kieth annoys the crap out of me. I can hear it now " a gain of 8 yerds on the play".

What the heck is a yerd?

IIRC the Titans hired Mike Keith away from the Vol network before John Ward retired, and left us holding the Bob bag.

Didn't Mike Keith fire Pat Ryan?

I don't think it was his call. The Titans wanted Wycheck because he was incredibly popular with Titan fans and he had just started the morning show on 104.5.

Ryan was/is a much better color commentator IMHO, if for nothing else he has a radio voice, and Wycheck has nowhere close to a good radio voice. I can understand why the Titans wanted Wycheck but he's pretty terrible.

I don't think it was his call. The Titans wanted Wycheck because he was incredibly popular with Titan fans and he had just started the morning show on 104.5.

Ryan was/is a much better color commentator IMHO, if for nothing else he has a radio voice, and Wycheck has nowhere close to a good radio voice. I can understand why the Titans wanted Wycheck but he's pretty terrible.

I think it was more than just that. IIRC, didn't Ryan make some comment to the effect of 'Our little mexican kicker' that put him in hot water with the PC crowd?

Frank sounds like Mushmouth. Slurs all the time something terrible. He had a ton of concussions. Wonder if that is his problem.

I think Mike Keith does one heck of a job for the Titans. He shows passion and knowledge and that's certainly different that what we've had since John Ward left. No offense to Bob, but Mike Keith's very enjoyable to listen to, even if it's the horrible Titans. Tennessee should have hired Mike when they had the chance, if they did. He absolutely BRINGS IT! BTW I ran into John Ward in the grocery store a couple of months ago and asked him to take a picture with me. As you might expect he was a true gentleman and I will always treasure this picture.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Mike Keith does one heck of a job for the Titans. He shows passion and knowledge and that's certainly different that what we've had since John Ward left. No offense to Bob, but Mike Keith's very enjoyable to listen to, even if it's the horrible Titans. Tennessee should have hired Mike when they had the chance, if they did. He absolutely BRINGS IT! BTW I ran into John Ward in the grocery store a couple of months ago and asked him to take a picture with me. As you might expect he was a true gentleman and I will always treasure this picture.

They didn't. Mike Keith was on the Titans' payroll before John Ward announced his retirement.

Reactions: 1 person
Mike Keith is annoying but Kesling is unlistenable. UT announced a nationwide search for a new Voice of the Vols when Ward retired. Ended up with the WORST play by play guy in the history of sports.

Mike Keith is annoying but Kesling is unlistenable. UT announced a nationwide search for a new Voice of the Vols when Ward retired. Ended up with the WORST play by play guy in the history of sports.

I don't remember a nationwide search. I honestly don't recall any other candidates. Worst in the history of sports is mighty harsh though.

Bob's problem is and always will be he followed the best ever.

I think that has always been my issue. I've accepted him. I actually enjoy his goofs. I now understand that nobody will ever come close to Ward. IMO Bob is better at basketball with Bert than he is at football.

VN Store

Back