Mike Gundy offered

Ok, well let's fire Dave Hart this afternoon.

And then restart the the search tomorrow with a fresh round of interviews

OSU in Oklahoma City here. I registered a few days ago to provide some context for you guys but wasn't approved until today.

The Boone/Holder/Gundy relationship at OSU is complex. Many at OSU wanted to hire Gundy as head coach when Miles was hired. The others were concerned about Gundy's lack of experience. Holder and Boone engineered a deal where Gundy was hired as OC and would be head coach if Miles turned down the job. Similar thing when Miles left: Boone and Holder made Gundy's promotion happen, and Boone subsequently got Holder hired as AD.

Holder was incredibly successful at OSU. He won 8 national championships and 25 conference championships as a golf coach, and a lot of alumni care about that. He donates his AD salary back to the university every year (he made a lot of money off investsments with Boone over the years). To the people that matter, he's as big a deal as Gundy is.

Obviously we all know that Gundy was never seriously considering the Tenn. job. He wants more say over a few things and maybe to have the purse strings loosened a bit for his staff. He's tired of loosing coordinators. Tim Beckman at Illinois, Fedora at UNC and Holgerson at WVU have all left in recent years. Monken interviewed at Illinois last year and is going to be linked to jobs for a while. Bill Young, the DC, was hired almost exclusively because OSU knew he wasn't going to leave for another job (played for OSU in the '60s, coached for them, old).

I'm trying to not say the following sentence in an insulting way: I think the perception of the stature of the Tenn. coaching job on this board and the actual stature it holds in the college football world are far apart. Strong / Fedora etc are excellent candidates, and good fits. Somebody like Gundy / Petersen / Patterson / Mora won't make a lateral or downward move just for the hell of it.

VN Store

Back