Mercedes and Jamie made the Under-23 team. Only School with two

Why would the plaintiff file in the wrong jurisdiction? Perhaps because they knew the complaint was bogus and knew the case would be thrown out if they filed in the correct place. They never refiled the case in the appropriate jurisdiction, therefore no case against Geno ever existed, though some here seem to believe otherwise.

Perhaps they filed in the wrong jurisdiction because they believed it to be a proper jurisdiction, I don't really know. The fact that no further suit was filed doesn't mean that no case against Geno ever existed, because clearly one did. And, it is just as likely that, having filed in the wrong jurisdiction, they discovered that the statute of limitations had run as to her case, because filing in the wrong jurisdiction doesn't toll the statute, so filing in the right jurisdiction would have been futile.

You would have been correct to say that no court has ever found Geno guilty of sexual harassment. None of this, however, means that no case existed against Geno, because clearly one was filed. You choose to believe it had no merit and, as you said, some on here won't be convinced that it didn't. Time to let it go.

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
Perhaps they filed in the wrong jurisdiction because they believed it to be a proper jurisdiction, I don't really know. The fact that no further suit was filed doesn't mean that no case against Geno ever existed, because clearly one did. And, it is just as likely that, having filed in the wrong jurisdiction, they discovered that the statute of limitations had run as to her case, because filing in the wrong jurisdiction doesn't toll the statute, so filing in the right jurisdiction would have been futile.

You would have been correct to say that no court has ever found Geno guilty of sexual harassment. None of this, however, means that no case existed against Geno, because clearly one was filed. You choose to believe it had no merit and, as you said, some on here won't be convinced that it didn't. Time to let it go.

Jim
A complaint was filed but was rejected by the court. No summons was issued, no testimony, etc. When the court rejected the complaint, it meant no case ever existed.

But yes, as you said, time to let Holly go. (Just joking).

Reactions: 1 person
The big blow up is because while the selection committee "determines" who is "on" the team everybody knows that the head coach has very valuable input into what players he/she wants playing in their system. I would have looked sideways if Diana Taurasi or Sue Bird wasn't on there because they are cornerstones just like I did when Candace was left off the team. The explanation was given by Geno himself on a video as to why the young ladies were there.

And yes! Congrats to Jaime and Mercedes as they deserved to be on this team no matter who could of could not play do to previous commitments!!

Thanks for the breakdown. And yes from what I saw in the scrimmages Jaime and Mercedes played well and earned their spots! Regardless! Both of them got a lot of PT, it was clear the coaches/committee liked their game.

Maybe it was a condition to get Auriema involved with the team. He came and talked to the players.

I wouldn't rule this out. UConn seems to just have their way when it comes to WBB. I guess that was my frustration...giving try-out spots to a bunch of UConn players who had no intention of joining the team when there were several other girls (elite players) who would have cherished the opportunity. It's ridiculous. UConn gets the red carpet treatment wherever they go.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rule this out. UConn seems to just have their way when it comes to WBB. I guess that was my frustration...giving try-out spots to a bunch of UConn players who had no intention of joining the team when there were several other girls (elite players) who would have cherished the opportunity. It's ridiculous. UConn gets the red carpet treatment wherever they go.
Geno is the lead clinician of the camp and runs all the sessions except the games and practices.

Uconn has earned the influence they hold in WBB. It would be the same for any team that has made the final 4 nine years in a row along with 6 National Championships during that time.

To stop that trend, someone will have to take it from them. Probably won't happen during the upcoming season because they probably have the best team they've ever had. Who will take over after their reign ends?

I guess that was my frustration...giving try-out spots to a bunch of UConn players who had no intention of joining the team when there were several other girls (elite players) who would have cherished the opportunity. It's ridiculous. UConn gets the red carpet treatment wherever they go.

The event in Colorado was called a "Team Training Camp," not a U23 Team Tryout. So it's a mistake to say UConn players were given "try-out spots." Forty young women were invited to Colorado to train with the best, not to try out for the 12-member team. The team would be selected from the 40 invitees, but not all the players there were trying out for spots. Rebecca Greenwell and Lexie Brown from Duke had another commitment and removed their names from consideration for the 12-member team as well.

While competing for spots on the 12-member team was one purpose of the Team Training Camp, another was to prepare the team for international competition by practicing against the very best players in WCBB. Three of the four UConn players were first team All-Americans last season. The fourth, Azura Stevens, sat out last year under NCAA transfer guidelines, but is considered by many to be a leading contender for national player of the year in the upcoming (2017-2018) season. The four players from UConn and the two from Duke (Brown was third team All-American) were there to train, practice, and scrimmage with the 12-member team in order to raise the level of competition and preparedness.

Reactions: 3 people
The event in Colorado was called a "Team Training Camp," not a U23 Team Tryout. So it's a mistake to say UConn players were given "try-out spots." Forty young women were invited to Colorado to train with the best, not to try out for the 12-member team. The team would be selected from the 40 invitees, but not all the players there were trying out for spots. Rebecca Greenwell and Lexie Brown from Duke had another commitment and removed their names from consideration for the 12-member team as well.

While competing for spots on the 12-member team was one purpose of the Team Training Camp, another was to prepare the team for international competition by practicing against the very best players in WCBB. Three of the four UConn players were first team All-Americans last season. The fourth, Azura Stevens, sat out last year under NCAA transfer guidelines, but is considered by many to be a leading contender for national player of the year in the upcoming (2017-2018) season. The four players from UConn and the two from Duke (Brown was third team All-American) were there to train, practice, and scrimmage with the 12-member team in order to raise the level of competition and preparedness.

Definitely saw "Trials", a.k.a. Try-outs, more than once but thanks for the info.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170808-165356.jpg
    Screenshot_20170808-165356.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Judging from the Team USA photo, it appears Jaime has been hitting the weight room this summer.

Why Auriemma was at the OTC -

"The training camp was led by Geno Auriemma, but also included the likes of Coach Jeff Walz from Louisville, Dawn Staley from South Carolina, Courtney Banghart from Princeton, Cori Close from UCLA and Kara Lawson to name a few. Throughout the week Coach Auriemma gave a series of insightful lectures on various topics around the game of basketball and life."

Rebecca Greenwell, on the Duke WCBB site.

Asia Durr leads USA with 11 points, Jaime Nared has 10 points, Kelsey Mitchell has dished out four assists and Mercedes Russell has grabbed seven rebounds #USABWU23 Japan 33-UAS 52 at the half

hopefully. Russell learned how to play without having the ball forced into her since it appears that durr and Mitchell did all the shooting? :(

VN Store

Back