Memphis the best football team in Tennessee?

I seriously don’t believe Memphis beats UT last season; especially, if they played before the debacle at Florida as the Vols just quit after that loss.

UT beat Georgia Tech last season and they were a much better football team than Memphis.

Memphis doesn’t play good defense and good defense is winning football.

The only time Memphis has ever beaten Tennessee was in 1996 and they did it by playing excellent defense.

Memphis has been horrible on defense the past 3 or 4 season and they aren’t expecting a good defense this season either.

If UT and Memphis played this season the Vols would win because they have better players on defense.

Memphis doesn’t have a single player on its Roster that’s good enough to start for the Vols.

Yeah, okay. You're going off in so many different directions here this is impossible to reply to.

GT-Memphis wasn't the question. The transitive property doesn't work in CFB.

Hilarious that you think prolific-scoring Memphis would have needed to play better defense against the 2017 Vols to win head to head. Even if Memphis' atrocious D couldn't stop Tennessee, it'd definitely be a shoot-out, and that would absolutely favor the Tigers.

Lastly, you don't know anything about the Vols roster right now, nor do I trust you to know anything about the Tigers roster at any point in time. You're literally only saying that because of recruiting rankings, because if it weren't about how 247 valued our players, you'd see that our whole team outside of Trey Smith and Ty Chandler disappointed last year. I'm rooting for the Vols no doubt, but in 2017, I'd easily have taken Memphis' OL, Riley, and Anthony Miller over the Vols passing game.

Ah, how hope springs eternal in August.

Yeah, okay. You're going off in so many different directions here this is impossible to reply to.

Hilarious that you think prolific-scoring Memphis would have needed to play better defense against the 2017 Vols to win head to head. Even if Memphis' atrocious D couldn't stop Tennessee, it'd definitely be a shoot-out, and that would absolutely favor the Tigers.

Lastly, you don't know anything about the Vols roster right now, nor do I trust you to know anything about the Tigers roster at any point in time. You're literally only saying that because of recruiting rankings, because if it weren't about how 247 valued our players, you'd see that our whole team outside of Trey Smith and Ty Chandler disappointed last year. I'm rooting for the Vols no doubt, but in 2017, I'd easily have taken Memphis' OL, Riley, and Anthony Miller over the Vols passing game.

Please!! I don’t know a thing about UT’s roster??

I know UT has signed 60 four or five Star prospects in the past 5 seasons. I know that’s an average of 12 per season. I know that UT’s classes are very similar to what Clemson signs each season. I know that player development and coaching has been a problem at UT NOT the roster.

How many 4 or 5 Star prospects has Memphis signed in the past 5 seasons? I can only think of one, Riley Ferguson and he’s a reject from UT.

Recruiting rankings are the best indicator of talent on a team while it’s not an exact sicence, it’s close. There has never been a team to win a national title without signing a top ten class.

Memphis has never EVER signed a top ten class and it’s not even close.

Memphis just plays a soft schedule every fall and out scores their opponents, and in the conference they play in you can get away with not playing defense.

I would love to see UT play Memphis again especially with the coach we have now. But, Memphis refused years ago to schedule the Vols. I guess they got tired of getting embarrassed by UT.

If Memphis wants to earn respect, they should schedule UT, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, LSU or Auburn and play at least 3 of those teams each season. If they beat Georgia, Alabama and Auburn in the same season on the road then they are certainly ready for bigger and better things. But, they won’t because they don’t have the talent or depth on their roster to compete with the big boys of college football.

sigh.
giphy.gif
Lol, sigh is right. Let's wallow in it.

Gunner, not sure MemTigs wouldn't have beaten last season's Vols. Not when the Univ. Mass. made us gag, stutter, and sweat. We were that bad. That game was literally our Bastogne, Belgium moment but should never have been so.

The 2016 Tennessee with Josh Dobbs would have beaten Memphis about 75 to 30. Memphis has been worse than Tennessee on defense the past two seasons. They play in a terrible conference full of other terrible teams that don’t play defense. The only thing Memphis has improved at recently is offense, and I seriously doubt they could score consistently on upper level Power 5 defenses.
Memphis would’ve hung 70 on our pop warner defense last year.

I guess your talking about Riley Ferguson?

Riley Ferguson quit playing for UT because he wasn’t good enough to start for the Vols. But, he goes to Memphis and looks like an all star, that tells me all that I need to know about the talent level at Memphis.
He was absolutely good enough, was the most talented QB on our roster. Just wasn’t emotionally and mentally tough enough to deal with the mind games Jones played with him. Believed Jones when he told him he’d be the starter and then threw a fit when he he had to go work hard....chose to quit rather than battle. But make no mistake, he had the most arm talent of any qb on roster at the time.

Reactions: ProudVOLfan
Reactions: Pruitt Will Do It
Memphis was the best then Vandy, UT, then MTSU. Vandy beat MTSU the past three years so explain to me how MTSU has been better.

Riley Ferguson quit playing for UT because he wasn’t good enough to start for the Vols. But, he goes to Memphis and looks like an all star, that tells me all that I need to know about the talent level at Memphis.

Alvin Kamara wasn’t good enough to start for us either until Hurd quit. Everyone saw how that turned out.

Maybe....maybe not. Perhaps it was the coaching at Memphis that made the difference in his all-star performance. Regardless, Ferguson would have started in place of either QB last season - JMHO.

Maybe....maybe not. Perhaps it was the coaching at Memphis that made the difference in his all-star performance. Regardless, Ferguson would have started in place of either QB last season - JMHO.
Level of competition in the AAC has helped the rise of Memphis football also. I think 9-3 Memphis plays 6-6 Kentucky in the Birmingham Bowl in December.

Level of competition in the AAC has helped the rise of Memphis football also. I think 9-3 Memphis plays 6-6 Kentucky in the Birmingham Bowl in December.
And kentucky gets its doors blown off i think yal are underestimating the talent in memphis which is better then anywhere in the state

Also memphis had one of the top turnover forcing defenses in the country last year we couldnt score 15 on a regular so how were we gonna score 45 to beat them if u wanna say memphis schedule was weak look at their performance against ucf who beat auburn who beat uga and bama

He was absolutely good enough, was the most talented QB on our roster. Just wasn’t emotionally and mentally tough enough to deal with the mind games Jones played with him. Believed Jones when he told him he’d be the starter and then threw a fit when he he had to go work hard....chose to quit rather than battle. But make no mistake, he had the most arm talent of any qb on roster at the time.

That’s debatable, he looked terrible all spring and during the Orange and White game he was completely showed up by Dobbs. So it’s certainly logical to suggest it was talented enough to play at UT as he was beat out by Dobbs that spring.

As long as Dobbs was at UT Ferguson wasn’t good enough to be the UT QB. However, he could have waited, redshirted and played at UT last season. But, with that line he would have looked terrible too.

Additionally, Dobbs was drafted in the in the 4th round. He’s still in the NFL as a backup. Ferguson wasn’t drafted but did sign with a NFL team but he was cut prior to prior to this season and is no longer in the NFL. That also speaks to his talent level.

Agreed. Memphis has had much better coaches the past few seasons, but that in no way makes them ready to be the best team in Tennessee or ready for the big boys in College Football. I also agree that Ferguson was better than either QB UT had last season, but it’s hard to see any QB being successful last season with that offensive line unless it’s Dobbs or a kid like him that can run and make plays.

Lol, sigh is right. Let's wallow in it.
yep. we need as many reminders as absolutely possible about how bad we've been the last decade.

it's almost as if we're completely clueless about it and in a constant state of denial about it.
beste-trading-plattform.gif

Memphis would’ve hung 70 on our pop warner defense last year.

Memphis gave up more points per game than UT did last season against mostly AAC teams.

Memphis doesn’t play in a big boy football conference, and UT does.

Memphis gave up more points per game than UT did last season against mostly AAC teams.

Memphis doesn’t play in a big boy football conference, and UT does.
I wouldn't call what we did last year as playing.. We might be in the SEC but its not like we won any SEC games.. be realistic

VN Store

Back