Memphis Players

I cannot understand the hate of all things Memphis people from east Tennessee seem to have. I think it has as much to do with race as anything.

There is no doubt that is part of it.

My parents visited me one year at UT, and my Dad and I played golf in Sevierville. We got paired with two local middle-aged men who could not believe we were from Memphis. They kept asking how we could live there. I was really put off by the attitude.

Reactions: 2 people

My parents visited me one year at UT, and my Dad and I played golf in Sevierville. We got paired with two local middle-aged men who could not believe we were from Memphis. They kept asking how we could live there. I was really put off by the attitude.

Kinda funny ain't it.. I've felt that way before also.. Like your the only cowboy amongst Indians like in dances with wolves..

I've lived in Knoxville, Nashville and Memphis and each have great qualities.

Yes. Three great cities known for Vols football, Country, and Blues music. Can't go wrong with any of the above and it's why Tennessee is the greatest state in the greatest country in the world (as American as it gets).

Kinda funny ain't it.. I've felt that way before also.. Like your the only cowboy amongst Indians like in dances with wolves..

Haha. Yep.

And if I invited everyone I knew here in Memphis that were Vols supporters to a party, I would have one hell of a party.

Last edited:

Maybe demographics and national crime stats had something to do with their "attitude"...you think?

Reactions: 1 person
Oh yeah...and I got this from Red West's 1st cousin back in the 90's...Elvis hated UT...he was a huge Bama fan...maybe a band wagon guy?

I cannot understand the hate of all things Memphis people from east Tennessee seem to have. I think it has as much to do with race as anything.

Everyone in East TN would be pulling for the Great State of Franklin VOLS right now if things had gone our way.

Realistically, TN could have been better off as two or three states. The distances involved from end to end are not insignificant, the cultural differences are real, and the geography that shapes a people is vastly different.

East Tennesseans tried desperately to make the above a reality. We lost a couple of monumental votes, and then the whole state lost.

We are all one state somehow though and should try to act like it. At least on game day.

Reactions: 2 people
Oh yeah...and I got this from Red West's 1st cousin back in the 90's...Elvis hated UT...he was a huge Bama fan...maybe a band wagon guy?

Really tell me more..... Elvis is wearing a University of Tennessee sweatshirt here. It's at the med here in Memphis...

CD7F38D4-8165-4ACD-9D01-A281CF6ED4E2.jpg

Really tell me more..... Elvis is wearing a University of Tennessee sweatshirt here. It's at the med here in Memphis...

CD7F38D4-8165-4ACD-9D01-A281CF6ED4E2.jpg

Being supportive of the Med...I'm just saying what Red's cousin told me at a track meet back in the early 90's. I asked him if Elvis was a Memphis State, Ole Miss or UT fan...said he was a Bama fan and loved the Bear...went out of his way to say he hated Orange...which I guess makes sense if he liked Crimson.

Everyone in East TN would be pulling for the Great State of Franklin VOLS right now if things had gone our way.

Realistically, TN could have been better off as two or three states. The distances involved from end to end are not insignificant, the cultural differences are real, and the geography that shapes a people is vastly different.

East Tennesseans tried desperately to make the above a reality. We lost a couple of monumental votes, and then the whole state lost.

We are all one state somehow though and should try to act like it. At least on game day.

That is the State of Frankland...and lets be clear here...I'm not crazy about Memphis but I like it head and shoulders over Knoxville, Johnson City or Morristown...

Truthfully, the middle portion of the state would be fine. East and west would be fvcked and poor as you want.

Being supportive of the Med...I'm just saying what Red's cousin told me at a track meet back in the early 90's. I asked him if Elvis was a Memphis State, Ole Miss or UT fan...said he was a Bama fan and loved the Bear...went out of his way to say he hated Orange...which I guess makes sense if he liked Crimson.

Thanks (being real) cool story

The Cottam brothers they were not busts. They were solid contributors. Chris Walker was a solid contributor as well. IMO he had NFL potential all the way. Just couldn't get cleared. Injuries really screwed him over. And Ligon was a fine center for us when he was healthy. Also Alex Ellis has been a surprise more than anything. He came here as a walk-on and earned a scholarship, that's not easy to do. He still has one more year with us.

Other guys I see on the list were transfers but still contributors nonetheless - malcolm rawls, cam clear. I am genuinely not surprised by Tino Thomas being a "bust" - I don't ever remember being sold on his skillset.

Alex Ellis is not from Memphis. He's from Delware.

Let's not act Like Tennessee is the biggest state in the country. Look at border states, is the distance from Southaven MS to the gulf not comparable to the distance from Memphis to Knoxville? Yes it is a long narrow state but if you travel rural parts of west Tennessee you'll see plenty of the power T. It's state pride, one of the things that makes me sick when I see these tennessee-born people who are bammers; What!?

I travel this state a lot, definitely I like East TN more than West, but it's just because I love the mountains. Flat west TN is just not all that attractive.

Knoxville to Johnson City is a lot more like appalachia than it is like the "south." I think of Nashville and Chattanooga as having a very old-south feel with Nashville feeling more like Atlanta every day.

To me the west part of the state has a lot in common with the mid-state, but you've got two comparable metro areas (Nashville and Memphis) who are natural competitors. For whatever reason Memphis has had a lot of problem with crime and doesn't have something like a "Franklin/Brentwood" area to enhance their metro. They definitely have a lot going for them right now with the new bass pro pyramid and ikea. Nashville has been on a tear lately so wouldn't shock me to see Memphis start to get some big things going. End of the day, a rising tide lifts all boats, we are all TENNESSEE!

Let's not act Like Tennessee is the biggest state in the country. Look at border states, is the distance from Southaven MS to the gulf not comparable to the distance from Memphis to Knoxville? Yes it is a long narrow state but if you travel rural parts of west Tennessee you'll see plenty of the power T. It's state pride, one of the things that makes me sick when I see these tennessee-born people who are bammers; What!?

I travel this state a lot, definitely I like East TN more than West, but it's just because I love the mountains. Flat west TN is just not all that attractive.

Knoxville to Johnson City is a lot more like appalachia than it is like the "south." I think of Nashville and Chattanooga as having a very old-south feel with Nashville feeling more like Atlanta every day.

To me the west part of the state has a lot in common with the mid-state, but you've got two comparable metro areas (Nashville and Memphis) who are natural competitors. For whatever reason Memphis has had a lot of problem with crime and doesn't have something like a "Franklin/Brentwood" area to enhance their metro. They definitely have a lot going for them right now with the new bass pro pyramid and ikea. Nashville has been on a tear lately so wouldn't shock me to see Memphis start to get some big things going. End of the day, a rising tide lifts all boats, we are all TENNESSEE!

Germantown and Collierville are similar to Franklin/Brentwood. I doubt they can match the overall income of Williamson County because of the musical influence and population, but one zip code in Germantown has the wealthiest per capita income in the entire state. Germantown also has one of if not the lowest crime rate in the state. Germantown and Collierville just happen to be in the same county as Memphis as opposed to Franklin and Brentwood being able to separate themselves in a different county.

I don't have enough posts to start a thread, so this one will have to do. I heard Chris Walker speak at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes banquet tonight. What an impressive Christian and VFL. He played during one of the darkest football times in school history yet has such great perspective on priorities. He is a wonderful ambassador for UT. He had some nice stories about Fulmer and some great one-liners on Kiffin and Dooley!

VN Store

Back