Maurice Couch gets 10 game

Need to bring back Doug Dickey. UT very rarely had issues with the NCAA under his tenure as AD. He got things done if the NCAA came snooping around.

We get back to being a perennial top 5 program and the NCAA will not be snooping around any more.

Very first paragraph (emphasis mine):

Alabama assistant strength coach Corey Harris has been placed on administrative leave after UA compliance department officials discovered he provided a loan to junior safety HaHa Clinton-Dix, a source confirmed Thursday to Alabama Media Group.

Just a little further down:

The loan that Harris provided to Clinton-Dix, who provided bank records to show that he had repaid Harris, totaled less than $500.

To the extent that he avoided the interest charges that he would have been assessed by a bank (assuming he could get a loan), he got paid.
To the extent that interest free loans were not available to all UA students, he received improper benefits.
I know that you root for UA and so are prone to homerism but your attitude that seems to indicate that no one from UA ever does anything wrong is both ludicrous and annoying.

Reactions: 4 people

You're right it was just a "loan" a one time ting that was paid back promptly, well before it was discovered and had to be reported. :blink:

To the extent that he avoided the interest charges that he would have been assessed by a bank (assuming he could get a loan), he got paid.

Borrowing money from someone and paying it back is not being "paid" by any definition of the word, no matter what the terms of the loan are.

To the extent that interest free loans were not available to all UA students, he received improper benefits.

I know that you root for UA and so are prone to homerism but your attitude that seems to indicate that no one from UA ever does anything wrong is both ludicrous and annoying.

Nope.

I never once made any statement that Clinton-Dix or the now unemployed trainer never did anything wrong, nor that the loan didn't constitute an improper benefit. I corrected the complete falsehood that you originally posted.

Had you said "Clinton-Dix got a loan from a coach", or "Clinton-Dix received an improper benefit from a coach", I wouldn't have corrected you.

You're right it was just a "loan" a one time ting that was paid back promptly, well before it was discovered and had to be reported. :blink:

Had Bama not reported it, it's unlikely that the NCAA would have ever discovered it.

Who do you guys think arranges these "signing opportunities".....their Sunday School teachers?

Maybe true but there is no proof of an agent being involved in the Gurley case. There was iron clad proof(receipts) that an agent gave Couch and the others money. That is totally different than getting money from boosters, autograph dealers, strength coaches etc... An agent giving a player money or a player signing with an agent means that player loses his amateur status immediately. This is told to every player repeatedly and it's the number one no no for a player. The last thing the NCAA, Universities, coaches or fans want is for agents to be involved with college athletes. Its actually a very good thing that the NCAA takes a harder stance toward agents even when it's one of our own players involved.

Florida State takes the cake though. Who knew you could shoot windows of buildings on campus with a pellet rifle, rape a girl, shoplift, scream obscene things in the student union, and get paid to autograph a bunch of stuff and only miss one game.

Dat Championship cred at work.

FSU is really good at keeping their players on the field.

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

Death penalty his senior year for $1350 and Gurley gets 4 games for over $3000. NCAA IS FREAKING JOKE and we are always the butt of the jokes. Every SEC school has received lighter suspensions, fines whatever than we have over the years. Pretty sick of it and why does our administration not challenge these things more?

Im sorry but he MC lied before he came clean, that is what got Gurley bake because when they ask he said yes.

Funny to hear that its was a Florida person that turned him in, almost sounds like he was setup.

Who do you guys think arranges these "signing opportunities".....their Sunday School teachers?

Dealers. They aren't acting as they players' agents, only using them (i.e. their autographs) to make money. Although it sounds a lot like an agent, it could also describe a lawyer.

The AA has always had a strong bias against agents being associated with "amateur athletes" although if this recent trend continues, I assume dealers will be treated the same in short order.

Reactions: 1 person
Maybe true but there is no proof of an agent being involved in the Gurley case. There was iron clad proof(receipts) that an agent gave Couch and the others money. That is totally different than getting money from boosters, autograph dealers, strength coaches etc... An agent giving a player money or a player signing with an agent means that player loses his amateur status immediately. This is told to every player repeatedly and it's the number one no no for a player. The last thing the NCAA, Universities, coaches or fans want is for agents to be involved with college athletes. Its actually a very good thing that the NCAA takes a harder stance toward agents even when it's one of our own players involved.

Dealers. They aren't acting as they players' agents, only using them (i.e. their autographs) to make money. Although it sounds a lot like an agent, it could also describe a lawyer.

The AA has always had a strong bias against agents being associated with "amateur athletes" although if this recent trend continues, I assume dealers will be treated the same in short order.

It doesn't matter who it is.....you are not allowed to take money as a collegiate athlete. The only difference and the thing that got Couch in trouble was that there was a paper trail. All of the autograph cases, it has all been hear-say and no paper trail. Cash is virtually untraceable. Couch got busted because they used Western Union......seriously, who does that?!?!? If they would have handed him an envelope with $1500 cash, nothing would have happened any more than these autograph guys. I want to know how Gurly gets multiple games, but Johnny Football only got a half, and Crab Legs has gotten nothing.

It doesn't matter who it is.....you are not allowed to take money as a collegiate athlete. The only difference and the thing that got Couch in trouble was that there was a paper trail. All of the autograph cases, it has all been hear-say and no paper trail. Cash is virtually untraceable. Couch got busted because they used Western Union......seriously, who does that?!?!? If they would have handed him an envelope with $1500 cash, nothing would have happened any more than these autograph guys. I want to know how Gurly gets multiple games, but Johnny Football only got a half, and Crab Legs has gotten nothing.

It shouldn't matter who it is, but unfortunately that's not the case. That's why Dillon Baxter was suspended a few years ago until he reimbursed the cost of a golf cart ride across campus simply because the guy driving was a registered financial advisor for the NFLPA:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/11/dillon-baxter-could-be-reinstated-by-usc-after-paying-for-value-of-golf-cart-ride.html

Borrowing money from someone and paying it back is not being "paid" by any definition of the word, no matter what the terms of the loan are.

Nope.

I never once made any statement that Clinton-Dix or the now unemployed trainer never did anything wrong, nor that the loan didn't constitute an improper benefit. I corrected the complete falsehood that you originally posted.

Had you said "Clinton-Dix got a loan from a coach", or "Clinton-Dix received an improper benefit from a coach", I wouldn't have corrected you.

Had Bama not reported it, it's unlikely that the NCAA would have ever discovered it.

I never said that he got paid.

You sound like Bill Clinton, hiding behind semantics when the gist of the discussion is Ha-Ha (what kind of stupid name is that?) avoided significant punishment (as appears to be the norm for them) as the NCAA is terribly inconsistent in their treatment of violations.

As a footnote, the IRS would treat the avoided interest as imputed interest which would be taxed as income. So at least in the IRS's eyes they would say Ha-Ha got "paid".

I never said that he got paid.

It was in the first sentence of the post I quoted.

You sound like Bill Clinton, hiding behind semantics when the gist of the discussion is Ha-Ha (what kind of stupid name is that?) avoided significant punishment (as appears to be the norm for them) as the NCAA is terribly inconsistent in their treatment of violations.

He sat out two games for borrowing $500. That's actually really consistent. Less than $1000 gets you two games. He likely would have received the same punishment had he not paid it back.

As a footnote, the IRS would treat the avoided interest as imputed interest which would be taxed as income. So at least in the IRS's eyes they would say Ha-Ha got "paid".

So you're saying that if:

-You and I agree to split a pizza
-You don't have any cash on you, so I cover your share
-A week later you pay me back the $10.00 for your half

In that scenario, I'd need to provide you a 1099-INT so that you could report the week's worth of interest I didn't charge you?

So you're saying that if:

-You and I agree to split a pizza
-You don't have any cash on you, so I cover your share
-A week later you pay me back the $10.00 for your half

In that scenario, I'd need to provide you a 1099-INT so that you could report the week's worth of interest I didn't charge you?

You sound like the kind of guy I need doing my taxes. Will send you a message in February.

Exactly, getting paid is getting paid. It's a current violation. I'm not saying Maurice shouldn't have got hit with suspension, all im saying is be consistent. The list of players discussed here all played again the same season, but our guy didn't. He took the sword for the league. It's like our administration let TN be the fall guy to prove NCAA/SEC is on top of things (Bruce fired for lying about a cookout) yet Auburn can buy a QB.

The sword is out and we are getting prepared to take a deep wound for the NCAA. UNC/ Roy Williams has a fake college program going on and get zero punishment, ZERO, yet we are getting prepared to take the sword again, maybe fire our coach for something he "may have done" at SMU. Why are we the punching bag for NCAA? Bring back Douglas Adair Dickey.

Florida State takes the cake though. Who knew you could shoot windows of buildings on campus with a pellet rifle, rape a girl, shoplift, scream obscene things in the student union, and get paid to autograph a bunch of stuff and only miss one game.

I still don't get that. Gurley gets suspended and Winston gets nothing...for the exact same thing. Without Winston, they'd be nothing because they are holding on by a thread. Luck.

VN Store

Back