Matthew Pyke 2014 OL/ Long Snapper 6'3 297

Certainly, I agree with everything said here, up to a point. A prospect shouldn't generally expect an offer without attending a camp where coaches can have a chance to evaluate him firsthand. A scholarship is a huge investment. My original point is that there's already enough info out there on Pyke and Reagan to confirm that they are quality prospects. And since they are Tennessee boys it's doubly important to move now to keep them at home.

The above link states that: "If a player thinks he is entitled to receive an offer without a camp appearance, best of luck. He won't go to a top program unless he is already a 4* or better."

That's generally true.

But these two are already rated 3* (and that may be revised upward later if the positive reviews about these two are accurate). And as I've stated elsewhere in this forum, 1) People place too much stock in so-called star ratings. And 2) Even if a 3* rating is accurate, the added passion and enthusiasm of a Tenneesse kid whose heart bleeds orange is enough, in and of itself, to add at least another star to the ratings of most prospects, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
From what i understand...Coach Jake was at Matthew'a school today. He talked to just Pyke's coaches and he left impressed with how much community service and the number of times he works out a day. I think Pyke will get a offer at the camp..but I believe Vandy will offer him first.

Reactions: 1 person
Certainly, I agree with everything said here, up to a point. A prospect shouldn't generally expect an offer without attending a camp where coaches can have a chance to evaluate him firsthand. A scholarship is a huge investment. My original point is that there's already enough info out there on Pyke and Reagan to confirm that they are quality prospects. And since they are Tennessee boys it's doubly important to move now to keep them at home.

The above link states that: "If a player thinks he is entitled to receive an offer without a camp appearance, best of luck. He won't go to a top program unless he is already a 4* or better."

That's generally true.

But these two are already rated 3* (and that may be revised upward later if the positive reviews about these two are accurate). And as I've stated elsewhere in this forum, 1) People place too much stock in so-called star ratings. And 2) Even if a 3* rating is accurate, the added passion and enthusiasm of a Tenneesse kid whose heart bleeds orange is enough, in and of itself, to add at least another star to the ratings of most prospects, IMO.

The star reference was just a general reference to the talent level of the player, usually reflected by offers from quality BCS programs.

When players have multiple offers from these types of schools, it changes the recruiting approach

Matthew Pyke (@MatthewPyke53)
5/21/13, 7:49 AM
So far this spring I have had 9 schools come by and I've got 2 offers #Blessed #keepgrinding

I really hope we get this guy..I know a lot of people say he's gonna be a center and we already have a center...but he can be moved from guard to center or from center to guard very easily..I think both him and Bruno get offers at camp..we are in need of Lineman and they fit the bill.

I really hope we get this guy..I know a lot of people say he's gonna be a center and we already have a center...but he can be moved from guard to center or from center to guard very easily..I think both him and Bruno get offers at camp..we are in need of Lineman and they fit the bill.

It would be smart, IMO, to sign two guys who can play center, and I too hope Pyke receives strong consideration from our staff. It's possible that at 6-6, Coleman Thomas might end up as a better fit at tackle or guard.

Regardless, we need to have more than one viable backup for Crowder heading into the 2014 season. Dylan Wiesman played all five OL positions in HS, so he's another possibility there.

I like Coleman Thomas at center. he is big, strong very quick, and very agile. You can pull him either side.

Matthew Pyke ‏@MatthewPyke53 1m
On my way back from the MTSU camp and just got off the phone with coach Bajakian from Tennessee #stillgrindin

Reactions: 6 people
Will be at camp this weekend...I really hope tennessee offers. Going to Memphis Friday, Tennessee Sarurday, and Vandy on Sunday.

Lol! It does not matter how long he can snap it, as long as he can snap it at least 15 yards. What matters is if he can run down field and help cover the punt...which he cannot. Too big and too slow. I hope he is good enough at camp to warrant a scholarship offer and has a great career as a Vol offensive lineman. I love guys that bleed orange. I'm cheering for him but don't see him being a long snapper.

Reactions: 1 person
This kid is a prime walk-on candidate as long as Vandy or some other big conference team doesn't offer him a scholarship. He doesn't have one yet, and if he never receives one/isnt into the big conference school that offered then we need to try to get this kid to walk-on if he can finically afford it through scholarships, etc. Butch signed a 3 star per 247 linemen in Dockery last year out of Farragut I believe. Guys like him and Pyke are great players to redshirt and let work hard over 3-4 years in hopes by their redshirt junior year they can provide depth somewhere.

There is not doubt he has the talent..almost every camp he has gone to can tell you that..I just hope he is the right fit and becomes a Vol in whatever way possible. Good kid that loves the vols.

Pyke will be at camp on Saturday! This kid had worked extremely hard this winter..I really hope they take notice and give him a oppurtuity at a position of need.

Reactions: 5 people
Pyke will be at camp on Saturday! This kid had worked extremely hard this winter..I really hope they take notice and give him a oppurtuity at a position of need.
SIAP my mind is starting to go, but is he going to be a LS? He could easily walk-on as a LS. I'm sure at his size he also is working for that offer as an OL though. Good luck to him, TIA

my question is, would Pyke accept a walk on spot if he doesnt get offered a schollie? and if he does get a walk on offer to UT, and a smaller school offers a schollie, would he accept the walk on spot (if UT is his dream school)?

my question is, would Pyke accept a walk on spot if he doesnt get offered a schollie? and if he does get a walk on offer to UT, and a smaller school offers a schollie, would he accept the walk on spot (if UT is his dream school)?
Right if he is a good Long Snapper, walk-on would seem reasonable. If he gets offered at G, then there's that too.

Long snappers usually won't get schollies until they are Jrs/Srs right?

VN Store

Back