Maryville police officer shot and killed

Yep I don't think just dying is what determines a dangerous job.... That just means the safety measures such as vests are working to prevent death... They still got shot at and physically attacked at a high rate compared to other jobs.

Most cops die in car accidents. Seatbelts are saving their lives compared to the 50s....so it's not accurate to say "especially under Obama...". No matter what the reasons are, it's safer for cops out there than in the past.

Reactions: 5 people
Who here disrespected this specific cop? Nobody I've seen.

You made a claim that cops (in general) have a dangerous job and someone else claimed it's especially bad in the Obama administration. Both are patently false. US crime as well as PO deaths are way down overall. Yeah, BLM is a travesty and has incited killings but you must filter out emotion.

This is an insular thread about a local cop who seemed to be in the majority of cops. Devoted to family and community and was unjustly killed by a POS.

However, this isn't his wake. This is the politics forum so if you make an outlandish claim that is rebuked with facts, don't just drop back and appeal to emotions to prove you're right.

Cops don't have anywhere near as dangerous a job as most think. It is more dangerous than folding shirts at macys, sure, but it's not even as dangerous as driving a truck. And that's a very good thing for them end everyone involved.

The last numbers I've seen are a bit higher, 13.5 per 100k, but I don't think that's where the perception issue needs to be focused anyway. It's the "why" that's carrying the load here.

Feces happens. Every one of us takes a risk just driving to work or the store or wherever...it's just statistics that "things" occur and sometimes they're fatal. What puts one at risk in that scenario is simply being on the road. Truck drivers (or any "driving" job) tend to spend an inordinate amount of time on the road therefore "feces happens" more. Flying a plane and being a roofer isn't "brave" in and of itself...it's a job you do and, like lots of things if something goes wrong the results can be fatal. Some jobs are inherently more risky than others but the nature of that risk can be very different. More to the point I find it pretty easy to draw a distinction between engaging in an activity that can cause you harm (we aren't going to argue snow skiing is "brave" are we?) and intentionally putting oneself in harms way for the benefit of others. Comparing jobs with a degree of inherent risk (there are many) is a bit different than having a job where when something has been identified as dangerous you run towards what everyone else is running from. Its simply not the same thing.

Reactions: 1 person
Most cops die in car accidents. Seatbelts are saving their lives compared to the 50s....so it's not accurate to say "especially under Obama...". No matter what the reasons are, it's safer for cops out there than in the past.

I didn't say anything about Obama and typically avoid those kind of comments from both sides... Danger is not just death... The most dangerous job I ever worked at no one died but several people got burns including myself, one guy a mangled hand, one had molten aluminum explode over him to where they had to peel the clothes off of him.... Every time a cop is shot at, assaulted in any way then they face a dangerous situation.

I didn't say anything about Obama and typically avoid those kind of comments from both sides... Danger is not just death... The most dangerous job I ever worked at no one died but several people got burns including myself, one guy a mangled hand, one had molten aluminum explode over him to where they had to peel the clothes off of him.... Every time a cop is shot at, assaulted in any way then they face a dangerous situation.

But the context of the comment you were responding to was in regard to the "especially under Obama". I didn't say you said that, but that's the conversation you jumped into was about

But the context of the comment you were responding to was in regard to the "especially under Obama". I didn't say you said that, but that's the conversation you jumped into was about

It was the same old anti cop BS we always here...nobody I quoted said anything about Obama nor quoted joe who mentioned Obama... If that was their trigger than that's their issue.... Still doesn't mean that being a cop is not a very dangerous job.

Great. Thanks for your contributions.I'm sure it's real comforting to the families of officers that their job isn't as dangerous as driving a truck. Oh wait, no it isnt. Its INSULTING to the sacrifice of this officer. The thread title is about this officer.
There are other ACTIVE threads about this subject.

I wouldnt disreapect Gramps thread by talking about cancer statistics and how more people die in the world from intesitnal ailments. It's insulting, and the fact you can't see it is concerning.
I'm trying to remember the last time a group of truck drivers were targeted by a gunmen. It skips my mind.
But thanks!

Oh please...save the righteous indignation Roust. You posted this in the Politics forum. You knew....or should have knew....these types of responses would be posted. If you wanted a memorial to the fallen officer, you picked the wrong forum.

Reactions: 8 people
Cop probably pulled him over for a busted tail light too

No, the cops were responding to a domestic because the suspect's father had been told that he was in route to his home with bad intentions, after purchasing ammo. The suspect then created a barracade in the garage of concrete blocks waiting to ambush officers as they arrived.

But thanks!! This cop is dead, and you're trying to be clever.

There's your popcorn Ras!!!

Oh please...save the righteous indignation Roust. You posted this in the Politics forum. You knew....or should have knew....these types of responses would be posted. If you wanted a memorial to the fallen officer, you picked the wrong forum.

Wrong. Content moderation on a forum is debatable. The thread has a topic. Discuss the shooting, the facts of the case, etc. No problem. This isn't a memorial, but it does relate to a specific person. Nothing wrong about keeping a thread on the topic established by the OP. The various rabbit trails on other threads is not a guideline for thread etiquette. Most political discussion groups are much more closely moderated. I understand that this being a sports forum, primarily, that there are constraints on keeping threads in check. That doesnt mean it's the ideal, or that I'm out line for suggesting it.

Wrong. Content moderation on a forum is debatable. The thread has a topic. Discuss the shooting, the facts of the case, etc. No problem. This isn't a memorial, but it does relate to a specific person. Nothing wrong about keeping a thread on the topic established by the OP. The various rabbit trails on other threads is not a guideline for thread etiquette. Most political discussion groups are much more closely moderated. I understand that this being a sports forum, primarily, that there are constraints on keeping threads in check. That doesnt mean it's the ideal, or that I'm out line for suggesting it.

You made it political when you made it about the "stresses and peril officers in our nation face" and then someone else, within a comment or 2, chimed in with "especially in Obama's America" or whatever.

Facts do not support your claim. Yes, it is heart-rending when a cop gets killed protecting his community. That doesn't mean his death is any more or less valuable than the deaf guy killed by a cop or someone suffering a mental breakdown gets killed because cops too frequently rush to deadly force. Yes, cops face stress. Lots of people face stress and don't succumb to deadly force. They do because they know the DA and Blue Line will protect them no matter what. That is a definite problem, especially for someone wary of authoritative overreach.

This is in the politics forum, not the pub. If you sincerely meant it to be a memorial to the officer or to discuss this individual case, you shouldn't have made it about all officers in the entire country.

Again, this guy seemed like a stand-up guy and he seemed to be the type of officer and parent this nation needs more of. This, very quickly, became not about him. Trying desperately to make it about him is disingenuous.

Same with a thread about San Bernadino would quickly become about the threat of radical islam, mental health and gun control.

Reactions: 2 people
No, the cops were responding to a domestic because the suspect's father had been told that he was in route to his home with bad intentions, after purchasing ammo. The suspect then created a barracade in the garage of concrete blocks waiting to ambush officers as they arrived.

But thanks!! This cop is dead, and you're trying to be clever.

There's your popcorn Ras!!!

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I was poking Ras..... A known cop hater.....

VN Store

Back