Mark Dantonio

The guy is .683 at M ST through 11 years.

Over the past 7 seasons his team has won at least 11 games 5 times.

In 3 of the past 4 seasons they have finished: 3rd, 5th, and 6th......and has 2 top 15 finishes in the 3 seasons prior to that.

What is not to like.

I am assuming it is not as hard as Mississippi St. to recruit to, but still, with better resources, I think he would have us very competitive.

I don't know about the heart issues, but otherwise, I don't see how we could go wrong here.

I saw some rumors that he's interested in this job. I would like your thoughts.

If it's true that he's interested in this job he's a guy I would gladly take. Always known for having physical teams and strong defense. He runs a pro style offense. His teams put players into the pros.

I actually would really like if he was hired. He's a good man tough blue collar type that would fit in well here. He's also a guy who respects tradition.

I would take Patterson first but Dantonio wouldn't be far behind, much better than most of these up n comer types. He's a name that would most would say good hire.

Dantonio would be a good hire! He does a lot w/ very little resources @ Mich. St. I agree w/ the tough, blue collar assessment. Would be a great fit at UT!

Reactions: 1 person

In 3 of the past 4 seasons they have finished: 3rd, 5th, and 6th......and has 2 top 15 finishes in the 3 seasons prior to that.

What is not to like.

Outstanding coach, we’d be beyond fortunate to get him. Can’t imagine why he would ever leave Michigan State for Tennessee.

What is not to like.

Dantonio's teams have frequently won games they were "not supposed" to win. They are always competitive, no matter who they are playing against... and they do play in a tough conference as well as in a very tough environment (especially in the winter). I can only imagine how he and his staff could recruit to UT with the additional resources and advanced facilities that would be available to them here.

Also, his buyout is only $7,000,000 and his current salary is $4,380,492. If Currie made him a decent offer, decent OC, DC and AC salaries, and allowed him to bring in the staff he wants... Dantonio could very well prove to be Currie's signature hire. :popcorn:

Last edited:
Danatonio is a good coach but is way too old and has serious heart problems from what I heard.

Not sure the stress that comes with the UT job is something he wants to deal with, not at his age at least.

Don’t think it’d work.

Danatonio is a good coach but is way too old and has serious heart problems from what I heard.

Not sure the stress that comes with the UT job is something he wants to deal with, not at his age at least.

Don’t think it’d work.

Dantonio had a heart attack 7 years ago.....he got healthy and hasn't missed a beat since.

Dantonio is 61, Saban is 66......most people would take Saban if he were avalable.

Not sure he would want to come but his age and health should not be a factor.

Some of u all wouldn't know a good coach if u seen one

The Grudenites are caught up on name recognition, thinking that a big name would help in recruiting. Problem is that Gruden hasn't coached a game in over a decade, was mediocre when he was coaching, and doesn't have any more big name appeal than anyone else out here.

I saw some rumors that he's interested in this job. I would like your thoughts.

If it's true that he's interested in this job he's a guy I would gladly take. Always known for having physical teams and strong defense. He runs a pro style offense. His teams put players into the pros.

I actually would really like if he was hired. He's a good man tough blue collar type that would fit in well here. He's also a guy who respects tradition.

I would take Patterson first but Dantonio wouldn't be far behind, much better than most of these up n comer types. He's a name that would most would say good hire.

If he were 5 years younger, I would say go for it. But if we are going to go the "Geritol Route", I say we go with:

Fulmer
Cutcliffe
Bill Snyder

One of the best coaches in CFB. Would be a home run hire and we would start competing for championships again.

Not sure why more people haven't mentioned wanting Mark Dantonio as coach if we miss on our Top 4 big boys (Gruden, Patterson, Petersen, Jimbo). Dantonio is right up there in the group bunched up right behind "the big 4". He's won 3 recent Big 10 Championships(not just played in the game - WON the game), was voted Big 10 coach of the year twice already(recently), won 4 straight BCS Bowl games from 2011-2015 (beat very good teams-Georgia, Stanford, TCU...ect), besides last year he had the Spartans ranked in the Top 25 FINAL poll for 6 straight years! The man has a very impressive resume. Defense has been ranked in the Top 15 nationally almost 8 out of his 11 yrs at MSU. And he's only 61 years old, so I don't need an argument about how "that is too old", because Gruden is like 54, and I think Patterson is 58, and I think Saban is around 63, so Dantonio still has plenty of years left. His resume speaks LOUDLY for itself. I think we should take a long look at him if we miss on the "big 4". Plus Dantonio only makes 4.3mil a yr, and we were paying Butch 4.1mil a yr, so I'd we offered him 5.5-6 I'm sure we could get him interested.

VN Store

Back