Manning throwing with the team this afternoon

We couldn't have a better guy representing what it means to be a VFL! Thanks Peyton for all you do!

I don't know if anyone will ever fill the shoes and have the class that Peyton has.

Hopefully he will still have a positive impact on our Vols program for decades to come.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

If Brady felt benevolent to help out an old coach, well - he's right there in Knoxville. Our OC, Mike Debord was Brady's QB coach at Michigan.

Would be wild to have Manning and Brady hurling footballs at the practice facility. Keep Brady away from the ball boys though. Don't need a scandal.

So you're saying Gisele Bündchen is a front :)

The other poster was correct, he had one of the strongest arms of any QB in recent UT history.

Nice if he had been mature but he wasnt and to go along with that fact he was led by a buffoon in Dooley. He could have done some great things had a real coach overseen him.

You just insulted all buffoons! You sir are a buffoonist!

Conversely, there has to be a reason that corporate America has never exhibited any interest whatsoever in pursuing Tom Brady as a commercial pitch man the way that they have utilized Peyton in that capacity.

Could be that Brady doesn't need the money. His wife makes way more than him, I think I read over $50 million a year.

Could be that Brady doesn't need the money. His wife makes way more than him, I think I read over $50 million a year.

Didn't you hear about Tom's new product line?

poster89457067rf6.jpg

How do you know?

A few of the attributes/abilities that I would guess would be of importance to a strong AD..... strategic thinking, solid decision making, work ethic and ability to fundraise at a very high level. There are certainly others, but I think Peyton likely fits the bill regarding these few. There's certainly no way to know without seeing it, but I could see AD being a good match for Peyton. Either way, at least we're talking about him as Athletic Director and not OC or QB coach. Lol.

A few of the attributes/abilities that I would guess would be of importance to a strong AD..... strategic thinking, solid decision making, work ethic and ability to fundraise at a very high level. There are certainly others, but I think Peyton likely fits the bill regarding these few. There's certainly no way to know without seeing it, but I could see AD being a good match for Peyton. Either way, at least we're talking about him as Athletic Director and not OC or QB coach. Lol.

In the minds of VN:

Legendary HOF VFL QB = great at everything else in life that is even remotely related to football. It's not that simple.

In the minds of VN:

Legendary HOF VFL QB = great at everything else in life that is even remotely related to football. It's not that simple.

He has the mindset,preparation and attention to detail to excel at any of the proposed career paths. Depends on what he wants to focus on to replace the thing he loves most...playing football. Could be any of these... None of these...or nothing at all. :)

I can't even fathom PM being interested in being the AD. Talk about a political job where you don't do much all day other than kissing unpleasant body parts and trying to juggle BOT/ admin/ donors.

There is just enough not enough money in this world. :yuck:

In the minds of VN:

We're in agreement. I scoff at the ridiculous idea that Peyton will ever be our headcoach....let alone a freaking OC. I personally think he joins an NFL ownership group soon after retirement. However, if he was to ever return to UT in any capacity, I could possibly see AD as being a pretty decent fit. That being said, I don't think it ever happens given his pretty well publicized desire to be a team owner.

I can't even fathom PM being interested in being the AD. Talk about a political job where you don't do much all day other than kissing unpleasant body parts and trying to juggle BOT/ admin/ donors.

There is just enough not enough money in this world. :yuck:

Some guys love the nuts and bolts of jobs like that. The futures planning, the squeezing and schmoozing of major donors, being around the programs, negotiations, building every aspect of a major athletic department. Who knows? I would personally love to see Charles Davis step into the job once Dave Hart hangs em up.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow. Did you see all the comments? I wonder if those same people will eat some crow when Peyton takes the Broncos back to the playoffs and has yet another incredible year. I wonder if the guys he was throwing to in Knoxville thought his arm strength was gone.

Simple. Start a thread with that particular question!

The people in the know....i.e...self-proclaiming managers and trainers, classmates of players, cousins of students who have kids who saw a player, etc. will promptly tell you what they heard! It works! Really!

Wow. Did you see all the comments? I wonder if those same people will eat some crow when Peyton takes the Broncos back to the playoffs and has yet another incredible year. I wonder if the guys he was throwing to in Knoxville thought his arm strength was gone.

I heard that the passes had the speed and movement of a Phil Niekro knuckleball. :p

Manning is never going to be an AD, I think that's a safe bet.

I've got a bad feeling about Manning this year. I think this will be his last rodeo. I hope it is a good/very good year for him and the Broncos, but it might not be. The Denver offensive line is a major question mark, with a rookie at LT right now (never a good thing), a LG with zero experience, a mediocre center and a RT who's been a reserve for most of his career. If that weren't bad enough, PM is playing in a Kubiak offense that is not exactly well-suited to him--more snaps from under center, for starters. PM's first two years with Denver were great--except for the playoffs--and the Broncos had good chances to win the Super Bowl. Didn't happen, alas, and it's hard to see it happening this year, especially given the offensive line situation. If the Broncos don't win games, I could see Denver begin to make the switch to Osweiller, their backup. Kubiak must also have mixed feelings. I'm sure he loves coaching a Hall of Famer, etc., but it is not easy to start a new head-coaching gig with a QB who is probably playing his final year. Fingers crossed.

He has the mindset,preparation and attention to detail to excel at any of the proposed career paths. Depends on what he wants to focus on to replace the thing he loves most...playing football. Could be any of these... None of these...or nothing at all. :)

I think it all depends on whether football offers him any rewarding challenges without a helmet. Gotta figure, with his heritage, family will be the starting point for any plans. With that in mind, here's three general ideas:

1) Use skills he's been honing for awhile, gradually moving himself out of the game... he becomes the color announcer for the home team (depending on where he & Ashley want to raise the kids). That's what Archie did with the Saints, and his boys turned out... meh, okay. Plus, Peyton has several options for where to call "home." The networks would love to have him, but unless Ashley wants him out of the house, I think he keeps his work close to home. Besides, his forehead won't fit beneath the storage compartments on a commercial flight.

2) Take on a totally new challenge, like Roger Staubach did, and build a business unrelated to sports.

3) Build on a meaningful experience that leads beyond football, mixing the familiar with a new challenge... like something to do with neuro rehab. He has experience with his workout centers, but maybe he'll work with the science and therapies that extended his career, supporting new research, and make the results available to non-athletes as well.

Don't underestimate Peyton's humanitarian streak. I don't expect him to fritter away the connections, positive reputation, and favorable public image he has built. After a couple weeks of golf... he'll be ready to do something substantial.

I think it all depends on whether football offers him any rewarding challenges without a helmet. Gotta figure, with his heritage, family will be the starting point for any plans. With that in mind, here's three general ideas:

1) ...color announcer for the home team...

2) ...build a business unrelated to sports...

3) ...meaningful experience that leads beyond football... like something to do with neuro rehab...

[4] ...humanitarian...

I think Peyton is going to be his own boss, whatever he does. So no AD work, no coaching, no GMing.

He might become an NFL team owner ... he might start/expand his own charitable foundation ... he might establish more football camps for at-risk middle & high school kids ... or he might do all these things at once. And of course, he'll keep making commercials and public speaking engagements.

Only two things he clearly won't do: (1) work for someone else (that's just not him) ... or (2) let moss grow under his feet.

Reactions: 1 person

1) Use skills he's been honing for awhile, gradually moving himself out of the game... he becomes the color announcer for the home team (depending on where he & Ashley want to raise the kids). That's what Archie did with the Saints, and his boys turned out... meh, okay. Plus, Peyton has several options for where to call "home." The networks would love to have him, but unless Ashley wants him out of the house, I think he keeps his work close to home. Besides, his forehead won't fit beneath the storage compartments on a commercial flight.

2) Take on a totally new challenge, like Roger Staubach did, and build a business unrelated to sports.

3) Build on a meaningful experience that leads beyond football, mixing the familiar with a new challenge... like something to do with neuro rehab. He has experience with his workout centers, but maybe he'll work with the science and therapies that extended his career, supporting new research, and make the results available to non-athletes as well.

Don't underestimate Peyton's humanitarian streak. I don't expect him to fritter away the connections, positive reputation, and favorable public image he has built. After a couple weeks of golf... he'll be ready to do something substantial.

...will offer him a boatload of money to be a color commentator like Aikman and Gruden. Monday Night Football, Fox or CBS. Don't know if that is something he'd want to do, but it's easy money and keeps him around football--and they will definitely offer him big. I just hope he doesn't take one of those studio pre-game slots like Marino and Esiason--the host and the five former stars who each get to make one comment at halftime. It's a joke. Better to work games, in my mind.

VN Store

Back