Major Potential Job Openings Next Season (CFB)

I think Florida has too many screw ups along the way. But maybe it shouldn't be listed. Or listed with an asterisk. Either Stoops or Mullen will take that job.

Also, as I said in a previous thread, we won't have an opening:

Butch loses to UGA and Bama. Gets fired, Shoop is sent packing. We promote Hoke to HC. He wins out. We hire him and get even worse than we are now. That's how Tennessee rolls

Oh God, I envision that horrific scenario too.

At 6-6 he'll be fired. I said before the season that he could survive 7-5 provided the losses were to Georgia Tech, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and LSU.

We know now that 7-5 would not include a loss to Tech, and would likely be a loss to a Kentucky, South Carolina, or Vandy, which is much more difficult to withstand. I think a loss to one of those schools might seal his fate and it would be hard to argue against it. It would mean that not only are we not beating our major rivals (which is bad enough) but we are struggling with teams we are always supposed to beat for the second year in a row.

I agree

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the UK loss kinda cement Dooleys end? Would be odd if a loss to UK helped see the end of Butch as well.

Depends on what you mean by "cement Dooley's end." The loss to Kentucky was the final game of his second season. If he came back that next year and beat Florida, won 6-7 games (which was possible with the squad he had), he would have stuck around. IMO, the proximate cause of Dooley's firing was his hiring of Sunseri as DC for the 2012 season; that was the worst defense in the history of the school according to a wide variety of statistical measures.

Looking back in hindsight though, yes, the loss to Kentucky was when people suspected that he wasn't up to the job but wanted to give him more time.

If Tennessee lost to Kentucky, and we lose to Georgia, Alabama, and LSU, it is entirely possible that loss actually does cement Butch's end.

Yup. No matter who the coach is, MSU isn't going to pull in top recruiting classes. The guy does WAY more with less than most coaches could.

Most overused statement of all time. Mississippi usually has the 2nd or 3rd most NFL players per capita. Mullen lost to... South Alabama, BYU, and Kentucky last year while going 6-7. He has been basically last overall in the SECW during his time at MSU, as a whole. He is not known to be a great recruiter. He is considered to be a solid coach but with the NCAA in town, yet again... not sure he doesn't have issues going forward as well. His team this year should be decent, they kicked LSU's butt for sure but all this coming to Jesus stuff is kind of funny.

Now considering he making close to $5m and he doesn't have to win to keep on getting raises and extension, exactly why would he even think about leaving?

Reactions: 1 person
Most overused statement of all time. Mississippi usually has the 2nd or 3rd most NFL players per capita. Mullen lost to... South Alabama, BYU, and Kentucky last year while going 6-7. He has been basically last overall in the SECW during his time at MSU, as a whole. He is not known to be a great recruiter. He is considered to be a solid coach but with the NCAA in town, yet again... not sure he doesn't have issues going forward as well. His team this year should be decent, they kicked LSU's butt for sure but all this coming to Jesus stuff is kind of funny.

Now considering he making close to $5m and he doesn't have to win to keep on getting raises and extension, exactly why would he even think about leaving?

Someone's a little salty about 37-7.

Reactions: 2 people
Someone's a little salty about 37-7.

Not all. His team did very well. He is a solid coach... not worth $100m, which is probably the ball park figure, and that is not considering Butch's buyout.

He's a solid coach, not a good recruiter. I mean, why would he leave MSU? He makes top 10 money in all of the NCAA, but he losses, he just got an extension on a losing season. LOL

Depends on what you mean by "cement Dooley's end." The loss to Kentucky was the final game of his second season. If he came back that next year and beat Florida, won 6-7 games (which was possible with the squad he had), he would have stuck around. IMO, the proximate cause of Dooley's firing was his hiring of Sunseri as DC for the 2012 season; that was the worst defense in the history of the school according to a wide variety of statistical measures.

Looking back in hindsight though, yes, the loss to Kentucky was when people suspected that he wasn't up to the job but wanted to give him more time.

If Tennessee lost to Kentucky, and we lose to Georgia, Alabama, and LSU, it is entirely possible that loss actually does cement Butch's end.

The UK loss was terrible no doubt, but I think between that and before the 2012 season started people gave him some benefit of the doubt because of all the stories of some members of the team saying they didn't want to go a crappy bowl.

I know there were plenty that were ready to fire him but there were also a ton that thought he would get it done in 2012, both here and people I know IRL (people that likely won't admit it now). I remember going to a birthday party a month before the season with a ton of UT fans and the consensus among them was at worst 9-3 (I was one of the "nega Vols" saying 6-6) and almost all were saying we'd win the East.

I think the Florida game caused a big shift for many into the "he gone" mode.

Speak of the devil....

"It's time for Dan Mullen to strike while the iron is hot and plan his exit"

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...rike-while-the-iron-is-hot-and-plan-his-exit/

Yes, speak of the devil....

"According to an in-depth report from Steven Godfrey of SB Nation, Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis, a prized recruit in the 2015 class, received a number of benefits from a number of schools, namely Ole Miss as well as his current Mississippi State team, prior to National Signing Day that year."

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/miss...ived-21000-national-signing-day-2-sec-schools

Yes, speak of the devil....

"According to an in-depth report from Steven Godfrey of SB Nation, Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis, a prized recruit in the 2015 class, received a number of benefits from a number of schools, namely Ole Miss as well as his current Mississippi State team, prior to National Signing Day that year."

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/miss...ived-21000-national-signing-day-2-sec-schools

The kid got immunity but MS didn't... he gave testimony as to the Ole Miss money I believe last week. I'm not sure whether MS is under investigation but chances are they will be.

Not all. His team did very well. He is a solid coach... not worth $100m, which is probably the ball park figure, and that is not considering Butch's buyout.

He's a solid coach, not a good recruiter. I mean, why would he leave MSU? He makes top 10 money in all of the NCAA, but he losses, he just got an extension on a losing season. LOL

I think it is unknown if he is a good recruiter or not. He's only been a HC at a school where he can't recruit well even if he tried to. He doesn't even target 4 and 5 star guys and waste his time trying to convince them.

I do know that Mullen gets more out of his players than pretty much any other coach gets out of theirs. Butch would be winning 3 to 5 games a year if he was in Starkville.

Lol

UT will be the last to fire and hire

The Admin will still be getting a panel together to discuss a list after all the other schools have filled their positions

This is where we find out if Currie is just like his predecessors or if we finally have a decent AD.

I think it is unknown if he is a good recruiter or not. He's only been a HC at a school where he can't recruit well even if he tried to. He doesn't even target 4 and 5 star guys and waste his time trying to convince them.

I do know that Mullen gets more out of his players than pretty much any other coach gets out of theirs. Butch would be winning 3 to 5 games a year if he was in Starkville.

Why not? Haha.

Sounds like Houston Nutt version 2.0... everyone claims he does the most with little... but there is little evidence to support that conclusion and whether it will care over. Nutts SEC record before going to Ole Miss was 42-38.

Interesting enough, even Saban recommended him for the LSU job when he went to the Dolphins... that would have been a disaster.

I'm not really sure I get the love affair with Mullen, he was a hot name then faded, and now it seems like people might be overreacting a bit because they whpped an LSU team that no one knows if is any good yet.

Maybe he would be awesome at a bigger school but he's been at MSU a decade.

Butch loses to UGA and Bama. Gets fired, Shoop is sent packing. We promote Hoke to HC. He wins out. We hire him and get even worse than we are now. That's how Tennessee rolls

Nah, he'll get fired at the end of the season. We'll be publicly turned down by a couple of "name" coaches before we settle on some guy out of CUSA or the MAC that everybody had to Google. That's how Tennessee rolls.

Why not? Haha.

Sounds like Houston Nutt version 2.0... everyone claims he does the most with little... but there is little evidence to support that conclusion and whether it will care over. Nutts SEC record before going to Ole Miss was 42-38.

Interesting enough, even Saban recommended him for the LSU job when he went to the Dolphins... that would have been a disaster.

Why not? Because it is hard to recruit elite athletes to Starkville, MS and to a program with inferior facilities and void of any sort of history.

I think there is plenty of evidence to say that Mullen has done the most with the least. He has 4 seasons of at least 8 wins, and he's been there 8 years. That's 50% of the time. Tennessee has two 8+ win seasons over that same timeframe. He went 10-3 in 2014 and was ranked #1 for 4 weeks; the #1 ranking was unheard of at that school.

The key with Mullen is that he needs a good QB. He piddled around there until he found Dak, struggled last year after Dak left until he found Fitzgerald, and now appears primed to overachieve again with him.

I think it would be risky for a big school to hire him because I think it is unknown if he could recruit well, and his style might work better with more lightly recruited guys with something to prove/chips on their shoulders. Some coaches seem to be better suited for jobs like Mississippi State than higher profile jobs (Charlie Strong is probably another good example). But it is undeniable that the guy can develop talent and coach.

Why not? Because it is hard to recruit elite athletes to Starkville, MS and to a program with inferior facilities and void of any sort of history.

I think there is plenty of evidence to say that Mullen has done the most with the least.

Same thing was said of Houston Nutt. Look, I never said he was a bad coach... I didn't kick anyone's cat. :) But the whole done more with less is imo a little drawn out, he is basically last in the SECW over his career... its not an easy job. He is a solid coach, I certainly wouldn't throw $100m+ for him.

I think all of this is moot as he has probably the greatest gig in all of football... he makes either top 10 nation wide as far as salary... he produces around 5-8 wins a year... maybe every 4-6 years he produces 9 wins or so... they make songs about him in Mississippi. Why would he leave? They literally throw money at him for going 6-7. LOL

Maybe I am giving too much credit for being smart. He's a solid coach, just like Houston Nutt was.

Think about the schools other than UTK that are named in this thread, particularly the schools where a coaching change seems likely. How many of those programs would consider Butch an upgrade and how many of that number would pay $7.5 million in buyout $ plus pay = or > than Butch's current salary? That's probably where we and Butch are at going into 2018. Butch is going to have to pull some upsets and no more choke jobs to get an extension at UTK. Without an extension, Butch will be on the look and frankly Currie should be as well.

Same thing was said of Houston Nutt. Look, I never said he was a bad coach... I didn't kick anyone's cat. :) But the whole done more with less is imo a little drawn out, he is basically last in the SECW over his career... its not an easy job. He is a solid coach, I certainly wouldn't throw $100m+ for him.

I think all of this is moot as he has probably the greatest gig in all of football... he makes either top 10 nation wide as far as salary... he produces around 5-8 wins a year... maybe every 4-6 years he produces 9 wins or so... they make songs about him in Mississippi. Why would he leave? They literally throw money at him for going 6-7. LOL

Maybe I am giving too much credit for being smart. He's a solid coach, just like Houston Nutt was.

Mullen has done more with less to a greater extent that Houston Nutt ever did. Winning 9 or 10 games at Mississippi St is the equivalent of winning a national title at a bigger school, and the 7-8 win seasons are the equivalent of going to a New Year's Six bowl game. The 6-win seasons are like 8 or 9 win seasons at a bigger school. It's not like he can just piddle around there and win 7 games. He has to coach his ass off to get 7 regular season wins or more, IMO. If he piddles around, they win about 3-4 games per year and is fired.

If Mullen was able to be as successful at say, Auburn as he was at Miss St, he'd win multiple national titles at Auburn. And Auburn would probably come close to doubling his salary if he could do that. I do question whether or not he'd be able to transfer that success, perhaps he does too, and when you're making almost $5m in your current job why risk it?

VN Store

Back