Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start.

Agree with Butchna, moving him to MLB negates his great pass rushing skills. Have faith that one of the young guys will step up

Kirkland, Bates, or Bynum will be starting MLB. Maggitt is great at what he does but he isn't quick enough laterally to play MLB. As long as he and JRM are on the field they will make sure the defense is in check.
Very good reasoning, but with a caveat. Kirkland, Jr. was recruited specifically for MLB and, barring injury or those other little problems that occasionally pop up, he's going to wind up there. If he can't start from the get-go, Butch has JRM at hand to fill in, since Bates could cover his spot right now. MLB calls the defenses and, as capable as JRM is, he'd have to be in the middle to signal to both sides. Bates is a natural OLB every bit as much as Kirkland, Jr. is a MLB. With all three of those studs looking like future Sunday players, I'd bet we'll end up with JRM and Bates on the outside and Kirkland, Jr. in at the Mike.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Kirkland, Bates, or Bynum will be starting MLB. Maggitt is great at what he does but he isn't quick enough laterally to play MLB. As long as he and JRM are on the field they will make sure the defense is in check.

Agreed. Maggitt would struggle mightily at covering a RB out of the backfield. But, he's a great player at DE or OLB when he rushes the passer.

We basically run a 4-2-5 defense with JRM, Bates, Kirkland, bynum, bryant, and others we have MLB covered...Leave Maggitt on the DL where he is most active and a force to be reckoned with

Bynum gets us aligned and in the right formations you could tell during the bowl game and the coaches have said the same

Sal is that you?

LOL! Impossible. He would be asking for Dobbs to move over there. Might as well take the most important playmaker on the team and pulling him out of position. Why stop with your All-SEC DE, when you can go all the way.

Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start. That would leave Barnett, Vereen, Kyle Phillips, and LaTroy Lewis at DE. The MLB position is so important in the SEC, having Maggitt's talent there may be best overall for the defense.

I disagree. You don't take a 1st team all SEC DE & put him in an unfamiliar position! From everything I've heard, D Bates will be at Mike this year.

Good thing the coaches have the OP to assist them.

Bynum improved the defense immensely over Jacob Johnson.

Maggitt at MLB if Kirkland is not ready to start. That would leave Barnett, Vereen, Kyle Phillips, and LaTroy Lewis at DE. The MLB position is so important in the SEC, having Maggitt's talent there may be best overall for the defense.
B.S !! Nothing to see here!!!

I still hold my opinion that JRM should go to MLB if Kirkland isn't ready and play a combination of Cortez McDowell and Bates at OLB. At least until someone establishes themselves in the middle.

GO VOLS!!!!!

Bynum gets us aligned and in the right formations you could tell during the bowl game and the coaches have said the same

And J Johnson is said to possess the better tangible skills but lacked in the position knowledge .. Now he will have had 9 months to work on that.. Bates can go inside or out and so cam Kirkland.. Tenn can actually run a 3-4 when they want to and not be challenged by skill set and size.. Main thing is to develop that dirty nasty mean streak,

I am fairly certain that Kirkland and/or Bates will be fine at MLB. They will have help in front of them on the DL and JRM will show these guys the way.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Dooley have Maggitt playing inside his freshman year and had AJ Johnson on the outside? I knew then that Dooley was a pathetic coach who didn't know what to do with personnel. AJ was a pure natural talent at inside and Maggitt had the best speed on defense and never understood why they had him inside. AJ was way too slow and Maggitt had the speed to act quicly on the edges, thus making him a natural at end as well.

However, Maggitt could play inside. He has the athleticism to do so and would add unprecidident speed to the position. He would do wonderfully inside especially filling gaps and pass coverage. JRM would be able to move there too, he's just a pure football talent and has great leadership skills.

Coaches have said that they'll shift JRM if Kirkland isn't ready. Jakob Johnson is still recuperating and hasn't stepped up like everyone had hoped. Bates and Bryant outperformed Bynum in spring practice, but Bates hasn't fully recovered from surgery and Bryant can't seem to get it in gear mentally. So much potential and we still have depth issues at a pivotal position!

Best guess: Kirkland will start, with Bynum serviceable behind him. Moving JRM will be the last resort and likely unnecessary, IMO.

Darrell Taylor would probably be a good option if we didn't already have so many to pick from. He's an athletic freak, heck he even played some WR in highschool

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Dooley have Maggitt playing inside his freshman year and had AJ Johnson on the outside? I knew then that Dooley was a pathetic coach who didn't know what to do with personnel. AJ was a pure natural talent at inside and Maggitt had the best speed on defense and never understood why they had him inside. AJ was way too slow and Maggitt had the speed to act quicly on the edges, thus making him a natural at end as well.

However, Maggitt could play inside. He has the athleticism to do so and would add unprecidident speed to the position. He would do wonderfully inside especially filling gaps and pass coverage. JRM would be able to move there too, he's just a pure football talent and has great leadership skills.
Maggit played ILB a little his sophomore year, but i don't think he did as a freshman.

Maggit played ILB a little his sophomore year, but i don't think he did as a freshman.

He lined up at MLB some last season after AJJ left. I suspect he will see some time there this season also depending on the oppenent. Doubt we see one guy getting most every MLB snaps instead it may be MLB by commitie?

Not a good move. I think Kirkland will be fine. Plus I've heard a lot of good things about bates as well. Not to mention a few others. Maggitt will be a leader on the best d line in the SEC.

VN Store

Back