MACGRUDER's Jon Gruden theory (with help from others) Warning: Long

And further... reflecting on the current names... some seem to be extreme long shots...

Gundy for example - he is an OSU alum who has been successful there; he's not leaving

Fisher - seems very unlikely he leaves FSU

Fedora / Mora Jr. - have only been at their respective universities for one year

Not to mention the buyouts some of these guys have.

Its almost like Hart is chasing guys he knows were aren't going to land... but it is buying him some time.

if a coach isnt hired by sunday, the Gruden speculation will blow up x10. what can Hart do? interview 10 more coaches? no way.

I'm with you... the shrieking from the fan base will crescendo after another week or so and no coach.

Hopefully in the silence negotiating on how to wind down the ESPN deal is occurring.

And further... reflecting on the current names... some seem to be extreme long shots...

Gundy for example - he is an OSU alum who has been successful there; he's not leaving

Fedora / Mora Jr. - have only been at their respective universities for one year

Its almost like Hart is chasing guys he knows were aren't going to land... but it is buying him some time.
your point with Gundy and Jimbo makes sense but i disagree with Fedora and maybe Mora Jr. those seem legit targets.

i say we blow up yahoo and make a plea to gruden to come. this way it will trend as the number one subject. that why he has to see it and adresse it maybe.

I'm with you... the shrieking from the fan base will crescendo after another week or so and no coach.

Hopefully in the silence negotiating on how to wind down the ESPN deal is occurring.

i dont understand why ESPN would care if Gruden would announce his departure. that kind of stuf is good for ratings.

One of the "insiders" connected to the UTAD is saying Strong hire in 24-48h.

My guess is that we are going to start hearing an entirely new "list" by next week, likely coordinators.

It could pull money out of their pockets by shifting focus from MNF to his next coaching venture. If he announced early, every interview with him, every week, would be centered around the new job - not plugging the current product he announces every Monday.

Exactly. He has not interviewed ANYONE who would "unite the fan base" like he knows he needs to, or who would put butts in the seats for a Western Kentucky game, like he know he needs to.

These names don't make much sense, except for Strong. Even Strong has come out a few months ago saying that he is not the type to leave a rebuilding job like that. And I know people change, and he could be bought, but it just seemed like an odd choice to begin with. Why interview guys that are just having occasional marginal success with their teams, like that's what we're looking for?

It doesn't make sense at all. Strong is interviewing people who are very solid to their universities and have publicly said so within the past year or so.

On Gundy, read this:
Oklahoma State, football coach Mike Gundy agree on 8-year contract extension | NewsOK.com

On Strong:
Charlie Strong gets contract extension - Big East Blog - ESPN

On Fisher:
Florida State Seminoles gives Jimbo Fisher extension through 2016 - ESPN

Notice especially where he says "Florida State is a job you want to stay at forever."

You REALLY think these guys are looking to come here, after saying that, so recently? Strong is the only one I think MIGHT come. And even then, I give it a 5% chance.

Reactions: 2 people
Well after those turn of events I will say I thought it was a no go on Gruden. There was always something fishy about the whole story though. I mean how can so many people be getting such different information. Now that things are being released it seems as though all of our "candidates" are falling apart. Earlier today everyone was saying "Fisher is the leading candidate" now he is staying at FSU. Charlie Strong was a popular name and now he has told a recruit that he is staying. Mike Gundy has been reported of interviewing but I would be more shocked that he comes here than Gruden.

Even if you don't think Hart is smart, you have to know that he is smarter than hiring another coach like Dooley. He has something planned, and I am not even sure that it is Gruden at this point. I am more confident today than I was the past few days just from the latest media reports. That's just my 2 cents though. I hope that we have a coach by the end of this week though so we can just get all of this over with, but it sounds like if Gruden comes it won't be for a while longer.

Exactly. He has not interviewed ANYONE who would "unite the fan base" like he knows he needs to, or who would put butts in the seats for a Western Kentucky game, like he know he needs to.

These names don't make much sense, except for Strong. Even Strong has come out a few months ago saying that he is not the type to leave a rebuilding job like that. And I know people change, and he could be bought, but it just seemed like an odd choice to begin with. Why interview guys that are just having occasional marginal success with their teams, like that's what we're looking for?

It doesn't make sense at all. Strong is interviewing people who are very solid to their universities and have publicly said so within the past year or so.

On Gundy, read this:
Oklahoma State, football coach Mike Gundy agree on 8-year contract extension | NewsOK.com

On Strong:
Charlie Strong gets contract extension - Big East Blog - ESPN

On Fisher:
Florida State Seminoles gives Jimbo Fisher extension through 2016 - ESPN

Notice especially where he says "Florida State is a job you want to stay at forever."

You REALLY think these guys are looking to come here, after saying that, so recently? Strong is the only one I think MIGHT come. And even then, I give it a 5% chance.

Great point

lazy-conspiracy-theorist.png

It could pull money out of their pockets by shifting focus from MNF to his next coaching venture. If he announced early, every interview with him, every week, would be centered around the new job - not plugging the current product he announces every Monday.

understood

One of the "insiders" connected to the UTAD is saying Strong hire in 24-48h.

My guess is that we are going to start hearing an entirely new "list" by next week, likely coordinators.

Wait for it.

Next week, we'll start hearing these names, if they're not snatched up yet:

Gus Malzahn
Doug Mazzone
Dana Holgorsen
Maybe Bud Foster
Sonny Dykes

Just saying. I think that's the next cycle of coaches we move to.

And if the hype isn't enough, or if people aren't buying it, I fully expect Petrino's name to pop up as a rumor. That would generate enough buzz.

your point with Gundy and Jimbo makes sense but i disagree with Fedora and maybe Mora Jr. those seem legit targets.

Fedora and More Jr. do appear to be solid coaches... but they've both been on the job for 1 only year. I'm guessing both have buyouts, and maybe its just because of the way Kiffin left us but going after coaches 1 year on the job just doesn't feel right.

i dont understand why ESPN would care if Gruden would announce his departure. that kind of stuf is good for ratings.

I don't think Gruden leaving MNF would greatly impact viewership. I think the bigger issue is Gruden leaving prior to the end of the season... Now if MNF let him work 2 jobs at once this wouldn't be an issue... but I suspect he would be violating his contract by doing so... which is why I think he needs to finish the season before leaving (if he does, that is).

Wait for it.

Next week, we'll start hearing these names, if they're not snatched up yet:

Gus Malzahn
Doug Mazzone
Dana Holgorsen
Maybe Bud Foster
Sonny Dykes

Just saying. I think that's the next cycle of coaches we move to.

And if the hype isn't enough, or if people aren't buying it, I fully expect Petrino's name to pop up as a rumor. That would generate enough buzz.

And the fanbase will get that much more restless.

I'm thinking we either have a genius AD with a set of massive brass balls... or we have managed to find someone less competent than Mike Hamilton (if such were possible).

Reactions: 2 people
And the fanbase will get that much more restless.

I'm thinking we either have a genius AD with a set of massive brass balls... or we have managed to find someone less competent than Mike Hamilton (if such were possible).

I think Hart's ego is so big it has gotten in his way. At the end of the day Haslam(s) win and I hope that Jim and Jon can find a middle ground and make this all work-out.

Also, while I feel the longer this takes the better I feel about Gruden, it has been made well-known that Strong wants this job and would not deny leaving L'ville today when asked repeatedly by reports. If Strong/Gundy isn't named in the next few days I'd be surprised and would be lead to believe one thing is actually going to happen. But if they are putting up a screen on purpose then why are they interviewing their candidates so quickly? They could have spread the candidate interviews out a little bit more, even it was just every other day instead of clustering multiple interviews into a couple days.

Last edited:
I think Hart's ego is so big it has gotten in his way. At the end of the day Haslam(s) win and I hope that Jim and Jon can find a middle ground and make this all work-out.

Also, while I feel the longer this takes the better I feel about Gruden, it has been made well-known that Strong wants this job and would not deny leaving L'ville today when asked repeatedly by reports. If Strong/Gundy isn't named in the next few days I'd be surprised and would be lead to believe one thing is actually going to happen. But if they are putting up a screen on purpose then why are they interviewing their candidates so quickly? They could have spread the candidate interviews out a little bit more, even it was just every other day instead of clustering multiple interviews into a couple days.

That's the one thing that is tripping me up. But then again....with every rejection, the fanbase gets more depressed. Which will make the excitedness over Gruden even better.

I really don't know. That is an odd move.

Considering that we are into the third week since DD was fired, I don't think we are moving things along all that quick with the interviews... feels like we have been dragging.

We had a nice excuse previously... coaches still coaching. It will be harder to prolong now.

Considering that we are into the third week since DD was fired, I don't think we are moving things along all that quick with the interviews... feels like we have been dragging.

We had a nice excuse previously... coaches still coaching. It will be harder to prolong now.

They will go for one more group of coaches, and then we will probably start hearing the reasoning of "Wanting to wait until after bowl games."

Which of course will outrage us, but will make us think we're on to some REALLY big names.

Of course, if it's Gruden, we probably won't have to wait that long.

Nice story.

So what do y'all think? I think it might be looking more like Strong.

No. I don't think it's him. I will be highly shocked if it is. I know what the reports are saying, and I know even what Skeeter said. But I just have a feeling it's not him.

VN Store

Back