Looking ahead to next year's softball season

Losing Aldrete is no fun, but it looks like we have a good one coming in next year to replace her. I have a feeling that at first Overstreet will get the nod at the position, but eventually Lockman will move to the position and be our starting catcher midway through the season, if not sooner, and have a solid freshman campaign. She has a good pedigree too.

SOFTBALL: Norco's Lockman brings power to the plate - Press Enterprise

Norris was not on the roster in 2014 yet is listed as a sophomore. I speculate she was asked to be a practice player. She was one of the ones that spent all her time in the bullpen catching the pitchers during warmups. That may be the case with a couple of others as a stop-gap measure awaiting the arrival of the large incoming class. Speculation on my part only, I have no inside information.

I assume coaches typically overrecruit in softball. 18 are needed to have a game scrimmage, therefore rosters are typically at least that size.

To my knowledge, Norris is listed as a sophomore because last year (2013-14), she was a member of the UT Rowing team. Maybe she used one athletic year there?

Still not 100% about that, though, because I have a friend who used 2/4 years at a juco playing baseball, and this year he was listed as a junior. However, he played no years in collegiate football until this year. Thus, on the football roster, he's listed as a freshman. If that's the case, years don't expire across the board, only in one sport. Hopefully this made sense...

Reactions: 1 person
To my knowledge, Norris is listed as a sophomore because last year (2013-14), she was a member of the UT Rowing team. Maybe she used one athletic year there?

Still not 100% about that, though, because I have a friend who used 2/4 years at a juco playing baseball, and this year he was listed as a junior. However, he played no years in collegiate football until this year. Thus, on the football roster, he's listed as a freshman. If that's the case, years don't expire across the board, only in one sport. Hopefully this made sense...

You are correct. Norris was on the rowing team. Walked on for softball.

Any idea why she left the rowing team and came to the softball team? If my point about my friend is true, she should still be classified as a freshman in softball, right?

No idea why she left. I'm going to assume that being an athlete doesn't matter if you change sports. Say from Tennis to Soccer you're still classified by the year as an athlete. Hence her listed as a Soph.

VN Store

Back