Live chat with Mike Griffith.

Paraphrasing Griffith: He said the 3 losses to Florida made it an uphill climb, but Peyton still would have been OK except for the showdown
between OSU (9-1) and Michigan (10-0). He said ABC/ESPN had gone all in to promote the game and were determined to make the
final weekend of the season all about the Michigan game. Then the worst thing happened. Woodson had a 78 yard punt return, a 37 yard
catch to set up Michigan's only offensive score, and added the finishing touch with an INT. Basically Michigan doesn't win without Woodson.

I still say Peyton was robbed, but at least we can take comfort in the fact that Charles Woodson proved over 18 years in the league
what a great player he was. Should easily be a first ballot Hall of Famer, and irony of all ironies, will share the spotlight with Manning.

BTW, that Michigan/OSU game was Debord's first year as OC, and he didn't disappoint. 189 yards total offense, no wonder Woodson was
the highlight of the day.

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/osu/graphics/pdf/m-footbl/1997/1997-12-Michigan.pdf

Paraphrasing Griffith: He said the 3 losses to Florida made it an uphill climb, but Peyton still would have been OK except for the showdown
between OSU (9-1) and Michigan (10-0). He said ABC/ESPN had gone all in to promote the game and were determined to make the
final weekend of the season all about the Michigan game. Then the worst thing happened. Woodson had a 78 yard punt return, a 37 yard
catch to set up Michigan's only offensive score, and added the finishing touch with an INT. Basically Michigan doesn't win without Woodson.

I still say Peyton was robbed, but at least we can take comfort in the fact that Charles Woodson proved over 18 years in the league
what a great player he was. Should easily be a first ballot Hall of Famer, and irony of all ironies, will share the spotlight with Manning.

BTW, that Michigan/OSU game was Debord's first year as OC, and he didn't disappoint. 189 yards total offense, no wonder Woodson was

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/osu/graphics/pdf/m-footbl/1997/1997-12-Michigan.pdf

Ouch....

The Arkansas game is probably the most memorable, at least for me. Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good.

The pass interference penalty called against Syracuse in the first game of the year! We were actually lucky to get out of there with a win.

Also, I don't know what was up with our conditioning in that game but our players were dropping like flies due to cramps, exhaustion, etc. Our players were either not properly hydrated beforehand or they weren't in the playing shape they should've been coming out of fall camp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

The Michigan/Ohio State GAME was DeBord's first YEAR as OC? And they only churned up 189 total yards in a NC year...that's some statistical anomaly. :blink:

Wait a minute, Griffith has been gone for 4 years, he missed Dooley's last season. So I'm curious where all this "optimism" you're referring to is coming from?

Lsu, North Carolina and I know I am forgetting others and that is just under Dooley. Then you had Kiffen with games like the team in burgundy.

Again, that is not the point though. Even if there was no hope for a good season, the way he would say things he enjoyed "putting us in our place" basically.

Lsu, North Carolina and I know I am forgetting others and that is just under Dooley. Then you had Kiffen with games like the team in burgundy.

Again, that is not the point though. Even if there was no hope for a good season, the way he would say things he enjoyed "putting us in our place" basically.

Some of you guys get your feelings hurt over the silliest things.

He's just another John Adams.
He mocked us.
He tried to put us in our place.
He denied us our optimism!!!

LOL

Some of you guys get your feelings hurt over the silliest things.

He's just another John Adams.
He mocked us.
He tried to put us in our place.
He denied us our optimism!!!

LOL

says the guy holding Phil grudges..lol

says the guy holding Phil grudges..lol

Why hold a grudge against an excuse making machine that drove the program into the ditch? Its only taken us 7 years to recover.

When Griffith says something that offends you, I'm sure you'll let us know. But I listed to that entire chat session and he was
extremely positive and complimentary of where the program is today. Bottom line is when he left town 4 years ago there was
little or nothing to be "optimistic" about, and I'm guessing as the UT beat writer he's got a much better perspective than most
of rest of us.

The pass interference penalty called against Syracuse in the first game of the year! We were actually lucky to get out of there with a win.

Also, I don't know what was up with our conditioning in that game but our players were dropping like flies due to cramps, exhaustion, etc. Our players were either not properly hydrated beforehand or they weren't in the playing shape they should've been coming out of fall camp.

The performance Al Wilson put on in that Florida game? That was impressive. Again, so many breaks went our way that season and that's what every national championship has to have. I remember the Syracuse game very well. Mcnabb was a man possessed.

Mike Griffith does a weekly segment on the Bill King Show. He always talks up the Vols and I enjoy listening to him. He seems very knowledgeable about the program and its history.

Mike Griffith does a weekly segment on the Bill King Show. He always talks up the Vols and I enjoy listening to him. He seems very knowledgeable about the program and its history.

You mean he hasn't cat burgled your optimism yet? :eek:lol:

I feel like last year especially, some media outlets were calling for a sec championship type season just to say "well we called that" and if we fell on our faces they could say "same old Tennessee we've seen the last 10 years" even though nobody really predicted an sec championship for us since 2005-2006. This year the hype is most definitely warranted and I think Griffith does a good job of emphasizing that. I like objective journalism though, if we suck don't pump sunshine.

VN Store

Back