Lions vs. Seahawks 'Monday Night Football' 8:30 p.m. ET ESPN

BTW, KJ wright intentionally knocked the ball out of bounds, which should have been a penalty and Lions ball at the half yard line according to Dean Blandino, NFL VP of officiating

Reactions: 1 person
To make this night even stranger, this is why Michael Bennett doesn't like Matt Stafford:

@Curtis_Crabtree: Michael Bennett: "I don't like Matt Stafford much. He's from Dallas. They killed the President (JFK). ... I hold it against him."

BTW, KJ wright intentionally knocked the ball out of bounds, which should have been a penalty and Lions ball at the half yard line according to Dean Blandino, NFL VP of officiating

That was my first thought when I saw it live. I'm surprised that the officials missed that one.

I knew that was a rule at some point; wasn't sure if it was still in the rulebook. There's no excuse for that call getting blown. None.

Not sure, but I think the default is that penalties are not reviewable. I think they only review calls if explicit exception is mentioned in the rules. This is an obscure rule, so I highly doubt it's reviewable.

This is a very odd scenario. If the Seahawks were penalized, all of the media attention would be focused on a ref making a call that truly had no affect on the integrity of the game. Active and retired NFL defensive players would come out of the woodwork to say how they would have done the exact same thing to ensure they wouldn't accidentally create a TD scenario for the opponent. Everyone would say that, while the correct call was made, the Lions didn't actually deserve to get the W because the Seahawks (and specifically Chancellor) got to the ball and forced a turnover at the apex of the game. But because it WASN'T called, everyone is now going to attack the refs for being incompetent.

The thing is you can't assess a flag after the fact. For example, if a referee didn't throw a flag because he thought the pass was tipped, they can't review the play, see that the ball wasn't tipped, and then throw the laundry on the field.

I'm not 100% certain, but I feel pretty sure about that.

Does that play count as a turnover? Aren't all turnovers and scoring plays reviewed?

I'm pretty sure only a small handful of penalties can be added on review, like 12 men on the field, illegal forward pass beyond the LOS, and maybe a couple others

This is a very odd scenario. If the Seahawks were penalized, all of the media attention would be focused on a ref making a call that truly had no affect on the integrity of the game. Active and retired NFL defensive players would come out of the woodwork to say how they would have done the exact same thing to ensure they wouldn't accidentally create a TD scenario for the opponent. Everyone would say that, while the correct call was made, the Lions didn't actually deserve to get the W because the Seahawks (and specifically Chancellor) got to the ball and forced a turnover at the apex of the game. But because it WASN'T called, everyone is now going to attack the refs for being incompetent.

Well, it is pretty incompetent. There is a reason he is lying and saying he thought it was inadvertent...that's less embarrassing than admitting you don't know the rules you get paid an insane salary to know.

That being said, LBs don't have the best hands. Stranger things have happened. Just a few weeks ago we saw Jalen Hurd pick himself up off the ground and get to a ball 10 yards away when there were literally 6 Oklahoma players closer and on their feet.

Well, it is pretty incompetent. There is a reason he is lying and saying he thought it was inadvertent...that's less embarrassing than admitting you don't know the rules you get paid an insane salary to know.

That being said, LBs don't have the best hands. Stranger things have happened. Just a few weeks ago we saw Jalen Hurd pick himself up off the ground and get to a ball 10 yards away when there were literally 6 Oklahoma players closer and on their feet.

do they really get paid as well as we'd think they get paid?

How's that any different than the 1" line fumble as the guy drops the ball too soon in celebration of a clear TD? All of the same logic applies. Except the player is incompetent.

VN Store

Back