Let's talk Yemen

Unfortunately, we will end up there again. Analysts have been saying that the terrorists are getting a foothold for training there.
Moab dessert camps from high altitude. No boots on the ground.
Defend our borders for a change and let Europe worry about Europe

That started out ok but went downhill quickly, after the first sentence. I wouldn't slag off on Ras considering the accuracy of your commentary.
Why do you think VN was important enough to us to get involved and then expend the lives and money we did?
I have to say that you present an interesting view to say we didn't lose in VN. We didn't win, and we skedaddled, which generally indicates a loss.
You present a really interesting, to be polite, view when you say what we could do to win in the ME. Briefly, it wouldn't be possible even if we wanted to. There's no such thing as 'our religion' and there's barely 'our culture', and the locals are more set in their ways now.

That was the point. Ras stated you can't win in Middle East but you can, but you would NEED to have a culture/religious view point and push it on them like Arabs, Macedon, Mongolia, etc.

As for Vietnam, I think you misread me. I said it was a mistake but that is easy to say in hindsight. The belief at the time of Kennedy, when it started, was that Vietnam was going to turn Communist and create domino effect. It was our fault for backing the French who kind of caused the conflict in the first place and for getting involved in an area that was never really our issue.

WTF??? Are you serious?

You said you can't win (I agree from perspective of modern US). However, it is possible to win there and I gave historic examples. Issue is to win wars like that, you have to basically destroy the culture that is in opposition to you.

I don't think it is worth US effort but I wanted to point out that these wars are winnable if you look at them a different way and throw out stuff like Human Rights or respect for local culture.

Reactions: hog88

VN Store

Back