Let's help Curt Maggitt out Volnation

RockiesTop22

Hey Guys- just talked to Curt a bit ago. I know (most) of us love and appreciated him as a player and a person.

Although he is on an NFL roster- he hasn't really reached that NFL salary just yet.

His stepmom, Gabriele, is going through an aggressive fatal form of breast cancer. They have a gofundme page setup. He posted it on his Facebook also.

They have a chance to give her a treatment that greatly increases her survival if she can afford it.

Even if you cant donate anything prayers would be awesome.

https://www.gofundme.com/saveourmomslife?donorname=Sheldon+Nash
:hi:

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 people
Also- if you do donate- make sure he knows its from volnation- I let him know we would try to send him some love

Prayers always going up.

Curt Maggitt Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

I wonder if Curt is having financial issues? While it may not be huge money it's still mid to high 6 figures.

If only all our salaries were public knowledge for people to question us on things :).

Honestly- he asked for help- I am sure there are reasons why he just cant cover it himself and that's not up to me to ask. So just wanted to spread the news for those who are willing.

Reactions: 2 people
Lord we ask you as a group to help one of our own, who has a sick step-mom, to help heal her and return her to good health. Lord, we do not always understand your ways but we know that you have the power to bring comfort to those in need. Amen

Reactions: 12 people
Prayers always going up.

Curt Maggitt Contract Details, Salary Cap Charges, Bonus Money | Over The Cap

I wonder if Curt is having financial issues? While it may not be huge money it's still mid to high 6 figures.

I've covered this in other threads but the NFL is not guaranteed money. Next most of the guys not in the 1st or 2nd round end up with a modest amount of money to actually spend after they pay federal taxes, state taxes (few states with NFL teams do not have a state income tax), some have a local city income tax to pay, room and board in a city they don't actually live in, insurances, and the always first in line , their agent. It's not retirement type money, it is big money if you're cutting yards or painting houses, it's not big money if you work for AT&T or IBM as a first line manager. Best to Curt and his family and I encourage all of VN to assist his family in any way they can.

Reactions: 6 people
If only all our salaries were public knowledge for people to question us on things :).

Honestly- he asked for help- I am sure there are reasons why he just cant cover it himself and that's not up to me to ask. So just wanted to spread the news for those who are willing.

The sad thing is, even with his salary, after taxes he still makes nowhere near enough to easily cover costly medical bills associated with treatments like the one his mother is going through.

Reactions: 3 people
I've covered this in other threads but the NFL is not guaranteed money. Next most of the guys not in the 1st or 2nd round end up with a modest amount of money to actually spend after they pay federal taxes, state taxes (few states with NFL teams do not have a state income tax), some have a local city income tax to pay, room and board in a city they don't actually live in, insurances, and the always first in line , their agent. It's not retirement type money, it is big money if you're cutting yards or painting houses, it's not big money if you work for AT&T or IBM as a first line manager. Best to Curt and his family and I encourage all of VN to assist his family in any way they can.

But many of the guys in his locker room make millions every year. Just seems odd to start a go fund me for a goal of less than $10k when you have access to people like that

Reactions: 1 person
Yet Curt is sending out the link. Sorry but this just sounds fishy coming from an NFL player

Extending the life of a terminally ill patient will never be cheap

Not to get political here, but it isn't just treatments for the terminally ill.

It's everything ranging from $1,000 a day pills that can cure hepatitis C to jacking the price of a life saving epi pen 4,000%.

I've seen instances where hospitals charge parents for "skin to skin contact" to hold their newborn child.

It isn't just the terminally ill.

Not to get political here, but it isn't just treatments for the terminally ill.

It's everything ranging from $1,000 a day pills that can cure hepatitis C to jacking the price of a life saving epi pen 4,000%.

I've seen instances where hospitals charge parents for "skin to skin contact" to hold their newborn child.

It isn't just the terminally ill.
I got charged for a SIP of water before surgery that I had to spit out anyway just to get my mouth wet enough to talk lol.

Sad thing is that medical costs are so high....

U.S. medical prices for everything are 3x, 4x, 5x the prices in other advanced countries---European countries with good medical systems. It's an absolute scandal. There is rampant price-gouging, and unless you are working for a big, good company or making a lot of money, you've probably got a crap insurance policy. Our health-care system is a freakin' mess--only advanced country without a single-payer system--Medicare for all. We have a political party--popular in the South for inexplicable reasons--that has prevented Medicare/Medicaid for negotiating drug prices directly with pharmaceutical companies. Doing so would significantly lower prices for drugs and save the government billions of dollars. This political party prefers to let drug companies continue to shamelessly gouge Americans with outrageous prices. I could go on....

Reactions: 5 people
I work in the healthcare industry and have personally negotiated contracts for millions of dollars in medical equipment. Yes, I agree that medical expenses are crazy high, but let me share just a couple of scenarios that I have personally been involved in that may help to explain a little why one's bill may be high. (I've never heard of being charged for a sip of water or skin-to-skin contact, though. That seems quite extreme.)

A piece of equipment in my department went down while I was on vacation. When I got back, I was reviewing the bill from the very well-known medical manufacturing company and noticed that ONE piece of hardware on the bill was for $10,000. After doing some digging, it turned out to be a battery back-up that I found online new for under $1,000. When I contacted the company, they tried to give me the normal BS line of it being "medical-grade", blah, blah, blah. "Medical-grade" is terminology for "we know you need it and we can charge you just about whatever we desire". Needless to say, I didn't pay 10K.

Second scenario: my hospital was building a new inpatient section. An IT guy I know was getting pricing for new tv's for the rooms. He received one but by the time it came to install them was a few months time. He called the company to speak to the guy he had dealt with, but the guy no longer worked there. The new salesman found out it was for a hospital. The EXACT SAME tv's now had a 35% mark-up from the original quote. When my friend questioned it, he was basically told to not rock the boat; that this was done industry-wide whenever dealing with medical facilities or the military. They knew those entities would pay for it.

So, yes, medical care is WAY too high. But before one gets ready to burn down their local hospital, maybe everyone should look at EVERYONE that has ANY dealings with the medical industry. THAT is the real scam.

Lord we ask you as a group to help one of our own, who has a sick step-mom, to help heal her and return her to good health. Lord, we do not always understand your ways but we know that you have the power to bring comfort to those in need. Amen

It's 2017 and people are posting prayers on an internet message board...

I guess since they will be governing our every action soon, might as well go ahead and start calling computers god.

Rediculously high. I just had my second ACL reconstruction and they billed insurance an almost 6 digit bill lol. I don't know how insurance companies afford it.

Little healthcare finance 101. Charges are not what insurances pay. Hospitals may markup services 300-400%. Insurances have negotiated rates on what they pay. Outpatient procedure under a CPT will only get reimbursed what the payment schedule is. So while they may bill $120K, the insurance company may only pay $8k. It makes no sense. Same thing for impatient under DRG. They can bill a high amount but insurance only pay the rate for that condition.

If you have no insurance then you get billed the full charges which is ridiculously high. IMO if you have no insurance you should only have to pay the Medicare schedule + say 10%. Too many people go broke trying to cover medical bills and pay much more than insurance companies or Medicare pays a facility, doctor, etc... individuals have no purchasing power and then hospitals show they end up writing things off which are only on paper.

I am in healthcare and have to know this stuff. Personally, I once had $17,000 charged for an ER visit and my insurance company ended up only paying $1,200.

I use to work in the pharmacy at a hospital in West Knoxville. An example of markups = When we had alcoholics in the hospital we had to provide them with beer to keep them from freaking out (yes I know haha). The beer we would always give them was Natty Ice and for a single can of beer we would charge the patient $16.

I use to work in the pharmacy at a hospital in West Knoxville. An example of markups = When we had alcoholics in the hospital we had to provide them with beer to keep them from freaking out (yes I know haha). The beer we would always give them was Natty Ice and for a single can of beer we would charge the patient $16.

Sounds like an NFL game.

Reactions: 3 people
BCBS of TN is supposed to be non-profit, but even after paying out millions in bonuses to employees they had to build the glass palace in Chattanooga to avoid losing their non-profit status.

They did need a new facility, however. I won't question that part, but it would have been nice to return some of the accruals back to those premium payers

Little healthcare finance 101. Charges are not what insurances pay. Hospitals may markup services 300-400%. Insurances have negotiated rates on what they pay. Outpatient procedure under a CPT will only get reimbursed what the payment schedule is. So while they may bill $120K, the insurance company may only pay $8k. It makes no sense. Same thing for impatient under DRG. They can bill a high amount but insurance only pay the rate for that condition.

If you have no insurance then you get billed the full charges which is ridiculously high. IMO if you have no insurance you should only have to pay the Medicare schedule + say 10%. Too many people go broke trying to cover medical bills and pay much more than insurance companies or Medicare pays a facility, doctor, etc... individuals have no purchasing power and then hospitals show they end up writing things off which are only on paper.

I am in healthcare and have to know this stuff. Personally, I once had $17,000 charged for an ER visit and my insurance company ended up only paying $1,200.

This is an excellent assessment of how it works as well. Also keep in mind that normally radiology, lab, pharmacy, and surgery are for the most parts the only areas in a hospital that actually make money (significant amount) for an institution. Everything else that one sees at a hospital is usually a liability.

Rediculously high. I just had my second ACL reconstruction and they billed insurance an almost 6 digit bill lol. I don't know how insurance companies afford it.

Insurance companies pay pennies on the dollar, almost all have policies in place with hospitals, just because your bill is high, insurance covers a portion of it, the rest is written off and then you are charged what is not covered in the agreement.
Where patients really get screwed is when they don't have insurance and choose to pay cash. Of course that doesn't include the "indigent" who don't have insurance, that gets written off and eaten by the hospital.
We meet every month to try and find ways to save patients money from the nursing/provider side, the financial folks might not like that we do that, but we see the patients as human beings and not a cash register. Of course the media always makes the hospitals the bad guys.

VN Store

Back