Latest news on starting QB??

The cousin of a former roommate that had an uncle who is a booster said peterman..so you can take that as the gospel

Of course. If a freshman is head and shoulders above and earns it hell yeah. I just think the likelihood is very low. Look for Worley to start the season, maybe Peterman (not exactly going out on a limb here).

I've seen Worley, no thanks.

Great post. kudos. i'm hoping Dobbs or Ferguson gets to campus and wins the job outright. i can struggle with a true freshman qb if it helps us win in year 2 and 3 but thats just me.

Peterman is only a rs Frosh so that would apply to him too, just really like the two kids we brought in.

Am I the only one who absolutely hates this term? (No offense cwood)

i can't fathom how so many people bash bray and turn around and proclaim they want Worely to be the starter somone with a fraction of his takent at best...no thanks to Worely...he is nothing special from what i have seen...bring on Peterman or Dobbs

Reactions: 1 person
i can't fathom how so many people bash bray and turn around and proclaim they want Worely to be the starter somone with a fraction of his takent at best...no thanks to Worely...he is nothing special from what i have seen...bring on Peterman or Dobbs

Crompton says that amazing things happen when you have a coach who knows how to coach up a QB.

I notice that during practices, NP is throwing more interceptions than Worley. I'm sure we want our QB to throw to our receivers and not defensive players on the other team.

NP will and is getting better because he has a coach that's going to make him better. So too is it with Worley who has a tad bit more game experience and is dead set on having his chance as starter. He will be working under a unified and consistent system which boosts confidence because you know what your coach(es) want done game by game, play by play. You're going to see exactly why he was Gatorade player of the year. You might even stop badmouthing him as a result. Just maybe.

I've seen Worley, no thanks.

You've seen Worley do what? No sample size to speak of IMO.

Ainge said this morning that in his opinion, Worley is throwing the ball much better than Peterman. You're probably about to see him a lot more.

How mobile is worley....we will def need a qb who can run as well as throw

Well, coach of no team, here's how the Vols coach sees things:

It’s hard to sum up Jones’ offense in just a few simple paragraphs. Jones has said the Vols will still be somewhat of a pro-style team, taking shots down field and running the ball with power. One of the biggest differences for the Vols will be in the intermediate game. Jones likes to utilize his slot guys a lot, think Volunteer sophomore wide receiver Pig Howard.
The thought that Butch Jones requires a running quarterback is something that’s a misconception among a lot of folks.
Neither Worley or Peterman is considered a running quarterback. Both guys are pocket passing quarterbacks.
In fact there’s not a quarterback on the team that would be considered a “running quarterback”. So the slight advantage that was seemingly given to Peterman because of his better mobility, really isn’t an advantage at all.
The two main things that will determine who starts for the Vols this fall are on-field leadership and taking care of the football. Those two things will be more important then style of play. Tennessee Volunteers Football: Which QB Will Step Up For The Vols

Reactions: 2 people
Well, coach of no team, here's how the Vols coach sees things:

It’s hard to sum up Jones’ offense in just a few simple paragraphs. Jones has said the Vols will still be somewhat of a pro-style team, taking shots down field and running the ball with power. One of the biggest differences for the Vols will be in the intermediate game. Jones likes to utilize his slot guys a lot, think Volunteer sophomore wide receiver Pig Howard.
The thought that Butch Jones requires a running quarterback is something that’s a misconception among a lot of folks.
Neither Worley or Peterman is considered a running quarterback. Both guys are pocket passing quarterbacks.
In fact there’s not a quarterback on the team that would be considered a “running quarterback”. So the slight advantage that was seemingly given to Peterman because of his better mobility, really isn’t an advantage at all.
The two main things that will determine who starts for the Vols this fall are on-field leadership and taking care of the football. Those two things will be more important then style of play. Tennessee Volunteers Football: Which QB Will Step Up For The Vols

Exactly Woods, exactly. This popular idea that we're gonna run some type of Urban Meyer/Tebow qb keeper offense just isn't reality in my opinion. Not from what I've read,not from what I've heard Butch say in interviews.

Also, Peterman may win the job. That'd be fine with me. But he is not a dual threat qb. Ainge gave the same opinion as this article. For all we know Charlie High may win the job, and I personally don't care. I am however getting a little tired of the Justin Worley hate from some posters. Gotta think he's in the lead and, given his accolades outta high school and that he hasn't really played at the college level yet, I'm 100% ready to get behind if he's the guy.

I have no idea who will end up being the guy in the fall, but isn't the passing game in Butch's offense somewhat similar to what Worley ran in high school? I feel like Worley may be a bit better suited to this offense than the long ball offense we've ran the past few years. Not that his arm isn't powerful enough to throw the long ball. I just think that an offense focusing on more short precision passes and intermediate passes may be a bit more in his comfort zone.

Exactly Woods, exactly. This popular idea that we're gonna run some type of Urban Meyer/Tebow qb keeper offense just isn't reality in my opinion. Not from what I've read,not from what I've heard Butch say in interviews.

Also, Peterman may win the job. That'd be fine with me. But he is not a dual threat qb. Ainge gave the same opinion as this article. For all we know Charlie High may win the job, and I personally don't care. I am however getting a little tired of the Justin Worley hate from some posters. Gotta think he's in the lead and, given his accolades outta high school and that he hasn't really played at the college level yet, I'm 100% ready to get behind if he's the guy.

KBVol, you're talking perfect sense. Pity is that not too many on the board can't see it. I agree, we will be in good shape no matter which QB gets the bulk of work. It may well be NP but at this point it seems JW does the taking care of the football better. Since it seems that CBJ will be giving his slot guys and from what I read previously, his TEs serious participation; it's tailor made for JW. Cause that's what he did in high school when throwing all those TDs and yardages. He may not have a 155mm howitzer arm but he has a very good Carl Gustav Recoilless Rifle. It may not have the range and slam bam of a howitzer but it inflicts serious damage all the same.

VN Store

Back