Last Home Loss to LSU (2008)-CPS on Fire!!!

smooth_1911

I wish Holly would toughen up just a little bit and see if her team responds to it. I remember PS would put the teams out the locker room, bench them, etc. And it didn't matter that she had an all-star in Candace Parker. The last time the Lady Vols lost to LSU at TBA, PS lit a fire under there asses.

Tennessee vs. LSU Post-game Quotes

TENNESSEE HEAD COACH PAT SUMMITT

(Opening remarks)
“Obviously, I’m very, very disappointed in this team. Make note, LSU played a terrific game. They came after us. We did some good things early. Bench play was pretty much non-existent. We can’t expect Candace (Parker) to carry us every night. We got exactly what we deserved. We didn’t defend, and we didn’t make shots.”

(On what happened)
“I have no idea. I can’t figure this group out. We got a win over Rutgers. They went in understanding that we could win the league tonight if we took care of business. If both of us had losses, going head-to-head, we still would have been league champions. That didn’t seem to matter very much.”

(On starting strong)
“We started well against Rutgers, too. Maybe the players can tell you what happened. We can’t win relying on just a couple of players. Our offense affected our defense. I’m not happy about it. It is unacceptable.”

(On Tennessee’s weaknesses tonight)
“We had a couple of players taking shots and not making them. We were turning the ball over. It is hard to win when you do that against a team as strong as LSU. Take nothing away from them. There is no quit in their team.”

(On giving up large leads in the last two games)
“Looking back at Rutgers, they made their run, and we didn’t shoot the ball well in the second half. This team doesn’t get excited about remaining committed to playing 40 minutes. They pick and choose when they are going to play. This team reminds me of the team (1998-99) following the undefeated team (1997-98). They were a pain to coach. This team is not quite as hard to coach, but there is no great sense of urgency. They start great, get casual, and tonight they got beat.”

(On how opponents always key on Candace Parker)
“They were keying on Candace and trying to double her. Others have to make plays. There were lots of shots, but not lots of baskets. (Angie) Bjorklund has got to do something. Alberta (Auguste) was 1-of-7, and (Alex) Fuller was not playing her usual offensive game. There was not a lot of help.”

TENNESSEE SENIOR GUARD ALEXIS HORNBUCKLEÂ

(On how Coach Summitt keeps talking about playing 40 minutes)
“It has sunk through for me, personally, but we didn’t put together 40 minutes tonight. We played 25 minutes.”

(On LSU’s performance)
“They did a great job of committing to their offense and getting the ball inside to Sylvia (Fowles). (Quianna) Chaney and (Allison) Hightower were knocking down the threes. We weren’t knocking down shots or getting to the boards. They are a very active team. They are quick and get in the passing lanes. We weren’t playing Tennessee basketball. In the second half, Coach told us to get the ball inside and get to the boards. Everything we weren’t doing, she told us to do.”

(On watching the 19-point lead evaporate)
“Honestly, I don’t know how to explain it. We were up 21-2, and I looked at the board, and it was 29-20. Shots weren’t falling and when they are not, we have to commit to defense. I can’t speak for my team, but I wasn’t complacent. I hope my team wasn’t either. I hope we can figure it out before it is too late.”

(On regrouping)
“We’ve got to regroup. Coach was upset and not happy. It is time for us to recover. We’ve got to have an open mind to criticism because it is going to come.”

TENNESSEE JUNIOR FORWARD CANDACE PARKERÂ

(On letting the lead slip away)
“Obviously, it caught up with us tonight. We had been getting away with it. We lost a big lead at Stanford and several other games similar to this game. Against Rutgers, we were able to come back. We had turnovers, were missing shots and not putting it up. In the first 10 minutes, we were in lockdown. We didn’t let them score. They were putting up garbage. They played to our weaknesses, and after that 10 minutes, we let them score

(On what Tennessee can take away from this game)
“There are always positives that you can take away from any loss. I’d rather it have been a win. We need to get better on one-on-one defense. I thought our rebounding was good. We’ve got to work on keeping leads. We’ll address this at practice.”

Pat had no fear! She wouldn't shy away from calling a specific player out in her press conferences, even though MANY saw it as throwing her players under the bus, and not taking responsibility for coaching decisions. That works well for some players, but not all. Geno has done the same with many of his players. Holly has spent 28 years being the coach that would comfort the players after the Summitt chewings, and now she is the one issuing the chewings and punishments. This is just her second season, and she's still adjusting to that role, imo. She will never be as tough as Pat; no one will! People are just going to have to accept that Holly is Holly, not Pat 2.0. I will agree that Holly does need to get on the players more, but she needs to do it in her own manner and not try to be Pat. There will NEVER be another coach like Pat in the game!

Hi guys. New-ish to these boards...I've read them for years but just decided to join a month ago. I've watched the LV's for 20+ years tho and thought I'd start to join in on the fun. Watching the LV's this year, I definitely have my concerns. I just wish that in the post-game interviews that the GOOD questions would be asked...many of those that a lot of us have been asking on these forums. The questions that are asked time and time again are not what we, as LV fans, are really wanting to know. I wish that there was a way that some fans could get a question or two in after the games. Now, I'm not implying that us fans know more than the coaches do and perhaps they are aware of the issues that we as fans bring up on a day-to-day basis, but I think it would help that answers are provided to the REAL questions...i.e. Why are we having so many issues with throwing the ball into the post?...What is being done to address the turnover issue?...How much time is being spent of new offensive schemes?....How much studying are the coaches putting in to learn NEW ways to play both offense and defense?....There are many more great questions...just wish there were answers.

I will forever and always be a LV fan. I just hope we progress and reach the potential that many of us think we have. GBO!

Holly has spent 28 years being the coach that would comfort the players after the Summitt chewings, and now she is the one issuing the chewings and punishments.
I think you've hit on a key point and one reason Holly is floundering as Head Coach. Another issue - Holly has observed Pat for a long time and is in many ways Pat Jr. in coaching the mechanics of the game. Pat was successful with her methods, because she got a head-start (no pun intended) and her reputation was developed before anyone else came along.

This is a new day. The Summitt methods were passe 10 years ago but were masked by the acquisition of a special player, CP3. Once Candace was gone the shortcomings began to become obvious and the decline began.

Doing things the Summitt way no longer works, in today's environment. Modern methods have taken over. In my opinion the Lady Vols must start over from the ground up to reach their former glory. I don't expect this to happen. There are too many entrenched people. Staff, fans, administration, who want to live in the past. 1957 Chevy's are nice, but not fit for the modern highway.

Hi guys. New-ish to these boards...I've read them for years but just decided to join a month ago. I've watched the LV's for 20+ years tho and thought I'd start to join in on the fun. Watching the LV's this year, I definitely have my concerns. I just wish that in the post-game interviews that the GOOD questions would be asked...many of those that a lot of us have been asking on these forums. The questions that are asked time and time again are not what we, as LV fans, are really wanting to know. I wish that there was a way that some fans could get a question or two in after the games. Now, I'm not implying that us fans know more than the coaches do and perhaps they are aware of the issues that we as fans bring up on a day-to-day basis, but I think it would help that answers are provided to the REAL questions...i.e. Why are we having so many issues with throwing the ball into the post?...What is being done to address the turnover issue?...How much time is being spent of new offensive schemes?....How much studying are the coaches putting in to learn NEW ways to play both offense and defense?....There are many more great questions...just wish there were answers.

I will forever and always be a LV fan. I just hope we progress and reach the potential that many of us think we have. GBO!

Good post.
And welcome to the Vol Nation.

I think you've hit on a key point and one reason Holly is floundering as Head Coach. Another issue - Holly has observed Pat for a long time and is in many ways Pat Jr. in coaching the mechanics of the game. Pat was successful with her methods, because she got a head-start (no pun intended) and her reputation was developed before anyone else came along.

This is a new day. The Summitt methods were passe 10 years ago but were masked by the acquisition of a special player, CP3. Once Candace was gone the shortcomings began to become obvious and the decline began.

Doing things the Summitt way no longer works, in today's environment. Modern methods have taken over. In my opinion the Lady Vols must start over from the ground up to reach their former glory. I don't expect this to happen. There are too many entrenched people. Staff, fans, administration, who want to live in the past. 1957 Chevy's are nice, but not fit for the modern highway.

Agree 99.99%. ( I prefer a 55 Chevy to the 57 )

Come on people.
No one has slammed Holly and some of her coaching staff more than I have the past few weeks. They need to become one of the top three coaching staff's in the country or be replaced. This is the program that Pat built. "The Lady Vols".
But, making personal attacks on Holly Warlick only shows everyone reading your posts that you lack knowledge of the game and the cognitive ability to make an intelligent point.
Everything I have ever seen or read about Holly Warlick tells me she is the kind of person that anyone with a brain would want as a friend.
My complaint is we have a top 25 to top 30 caliber coaching staff that is coaching the number "ONE" program in the history of women's college basketball.
Be passionate. No need to be a 'tard.

Reactions: 2 people

welcome to the board :hi: or welcome to posting i should say :)

VN Store

Back