Laptop with the best battery life

Ok that makes more sense. In your OP you said Air. Those havent been on the market that long so I was a little surprised.

Im looking into getting a 13" Air in August around Tax free day. Like you I have an imac for heavy lifting but I need a portable for going back and forth to the office.

The way macs sync up there is no reason to go with a windows machine.

Yeah in the OP I mentioned getting an Air. That's what I really want I'm just hesistant to drop the cash.

I agree about Windows, that's why I'm looking Mac or chromebook.

Bill whats your real world battery experience? I think it's rated at like 12 hours if I remember correctly.

Yeah in the OP I mentioned getting an Air. That's what I really want I'm just hesistant to drop the cash.

Bill whats your real world battery experience? I think it's rated at like 12 hours if I remember correctly.

I dont think I would like a chromebook due to everything having to work from the cloud. While I enjoy using dropbox and icloud for sharing files and keeping a few things handy when working on fifferent work stations, i think it would be kind of a pain to manage everything that way.

My biz partner and I actually use the iWork suite to collaborate quite a bit now. I usually launch the full apps to create new docs though.

The wife got me a new Dell for Christmas and I've been very impressed with the battery life. Probably 5-6 hours on a single charge.

It's a little hard to say because I typically charge and use it over several days before recharging. My use is pretty similar to what you're planning on. I haven't found the 12hrs to be exaggerated at all.

I bought mine as a certified refurb from apple. I got it in December and it had less than 10 battery cycles (think it was 8) showing on the battery health app. I now have 58 cycles and it shows between 96-97% original capacity. I usually let it drain to less than 5% before plugging it in.

My specs are below. Paid $1099 and haven't noticed any indication it was a refurb other than the battery cycles.

Model Name: MacBook Air
Model Identifier: MacBookAir6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 1.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

It's a little hard to say because I typically charge and use it over several days before recharging. My use is pretty similar to what you're planning on. I haven't found the 12hrs to be exaggerated at all.

I bought mine as a certified refurb from apple. I got it in December and it had less than 10 battery cycles (think it was 8) showing on the battery health app. I now have 58 cycles and it shows between 96-97% original capacity. I usually let it drain to less than 5% before plugging it in.

My specs are below. Paid $1099 and haven't noticed any indication it was a refurb other than the battery cycles.

thanks Bill. It really seems like the battery life on the MacBook Air is going to be hard to beat.

The worst computers I've ever owned are PCs. A dell laptop, a dell desktop, and an E-Machines desktop. I got my first MBP last August and have never been happier. I really love the OSX Maverick operating system. Battery recharges fairly quickly too.

Hey Freak, just a heads up. Apple dropped the price of MBA's by $100 and upgraded processor.

Last edited:
Hey Freak, just a heads up. Apple dropped the price of MBA's by $100 and upgraded processor.

Thanks for the heads up. I just saw that today. I'm debating between a refurb of last year's midel or a new one. I assume 256GB SSD is preferable? Anyone have any insight?

Thanks for the heads up. I just saw that today. I'm debating between a refurb of last year's midel or a new one. I assume 256GB SSD is preferable? Anyone have any insight?

Shouldn't you be asleep. I think it's past your bedtime.

Personally I plan on getting the 128GB HD but ramp up the memory to 8GB. A laptop is a secondary device for me. All my heavy storage stuff like pictures and video will be on my iMac and I'll use icloud/dropbox for documents syncing. I dont plan on filling it up so I'll just save the money.

Now if you see a good price on the 256GB refurb then go for it.

Got a brand new Macbook Air at Best Buy yesterday. They are on sale for $100 off plus I had $100 off education discount coupon (I can send a link if anyone is interested), then got another $20 off for signing up for store credit, throw in the ~$75 saved for tax free weekend and that's $295 savings on a brand new Mac. I walked out the door at $779.

Had to sacrifice the doing the memory bumb but that price was hard to pass up. I justified it by reminding myself I do have an iMac with 16 GB of memory. Anything requiring that can be done on that machine.

Reactions: 1 person
Got a brand new Macbook Air at Best Buy yesterday. They are on sale for $100 off plus I had $100 off education discount coupon (I can send a link if anyone is interested), then got another $20 off for signing up for store credit, throw in the ~$75 saved for tax free weekend and that's $295 savings on a brand new Mac. I walked out the door at $779.

Had to sacrifice the doing the memory bumb but that price was hard to pass up. I justified it by reminding myself I do have an iMac with 16 GB of memory. Anything requiring that can be done on that machine.

That's a great price. You can always add more memory later on for very cheap. I did it with one of my macs

That's a great price. You can always add more memory later on for very cheap. I did it with one of my macs

Unfortunately the memory in the MBA is soldered on. You are stuck with what you get. Best Buy only sells the 4GB model so that's what I got.

On the positive side Apple is constantly tweeking OSX to be less taxing on the memory with each year's updates.

Unfortunately the memory in the MBA is soldered on. You are stuck with what you get. Best Buy only sells the 4GB model so that's what I got.

On the positive side Apple is constantly tweeking OSX to be less taxing on the memory with each year's updates.

I gotcha. Mine was on an iMac. I also have a MacBook Pro but don't know if you can for it

I gotcha. Mine was on an iMac. I also have a MacBook Pro but don't know if you can for it

I upgraded my 2011 iMac too. Not sure if the newer ones can or not. Older MB pro could upgrade but the new retina ones can't.

I love Apple products but they do annoy me with this. It wouldn't bother me if they didn't gouge you on the upgrading it.

I upgraded my 2011 iMac too. Not sure if the newer ones can or not. Older MB pro could upgrade but the new retina ones can't.

I love Apple products but they do annoy me with this. It wouldn't bother me if they didn't gouge you on the upgrading it.

Yes they want more $$ from us

Super impressed with the battery life of this MBA. Took it to work for 8 hours of heavy use and went home with about 30% left.

Charged it up on Thursday night and used in 30min to 2 hour spurts all weekend. Still has 25% battery.

My Macbook Air will last several days on a full charge. I don't use it a ton, but I am on it a couple hours a day for work.

VN Store

Back