Lady Vols recruit Anastasia Hayes hits the ground (and the mall) running in Knoxville

Davis is like a young Chamique H. big enough to rebound/bang/score. Shooting the college 3pt shot will need to be proved though.

There's just so many minutes free now that Reynolds, Middleton, & DD are gone. For some reason I thought Dunbar was a G but I guess she is a F? So I suppose the only veterans at guard are Meme & Nared. Nared is probably going to be getting 30 mins a game no matter what but I was trying to think of different line ups where they could alternate but it seems more likely now they will be in together.

There's just so many minutes free now that Reynolds, Middleton, & DD are gone. For some reason I thought Dunbar was a G but I guess she is a F? So I suppose the only veterans at guard are Meme & Nared. Nared is probably going to be getting 30 mins a game no matter what but I was trying to think of different line ups where they could alternate but it seems more likely now they will be in together.

Do you think majority teams will full/half court press against UT...

Half court... especially early tryin to make the freshman make the right decision in a split second.

Maybe in the beginning. But Hayes is really quick and I have not seen ANYONE stay in front of her from a defensive point of view! Westbrook at 6' will be able to look and throw over unless the defense can trap her in a bad situation.

And along with Nard at 6'3" and the beastly boys inside( Mercedes & Green ) as outlets.... I think this team would be a nightmare to pressure! JMO

Reactions: 1 person
I am hoping that Dunbar and Jackson are ready to play and can start along with Nared, Mercedes and Westbrook/Hayes. If Dunbar, Jackson, Harris and Green are not effective, this will be a long season.

Wow, I on the other hand don't see anything "nightmarish" about us. True, I think Hayes will be difficult to trap because she has such athleticism and navigational skills in traffic. But "pressure" is also intrinsic. With youth comes growing pains. How poised will our guards be in late close games in hostile environments after having to physically perform practically the entire game due to a relatively short bench? Extended defenses are not necessarily their most effective over the long haul; they have their merit in short, strategic spurts or applied sparingly in crucial situations. Will we have the composure to respond and attack or long for that missing leadership and fold?

Foul trouble will be a constant concern again. The prospect of having a deep bench that could have helped hold players accountable is now a distant memory.

This team needs production from everyone, and hopefully there will be more positive vocal leadership that emerges in uniform this season. Personally I hope to see fewer scowls from one of the seniors and more vicious teeth from the other one.

As long as we don't have MR standing around pointing out where her teammates are supposed to be on the court during the play, we'll be okay. Girl looks like a band leader out there waving her arms. :(

Reactions: 2 people
The only seasoned guard is Meme. They both will be out there if they are as good as advertised.

You are correct Meme is the only seasoned guard we have. And we only hope she worked on her shooting over the summer.

You are correct Meme is the only seasoned guard we have. And we only hope she worked on her shooting over the summer.

...along with some other things...among some other players...at the behest of all of the coaches...

Do you think majority teams will full/half court press against UT...

I don't think there would be a reason to press TN full court (unless the team playing them is undersized with much more quickness and know they won't be able to contain MR in the paint). They have proven they have a hard enough time getting a shot off in the half court vs a standard zone defense.

If the 2017-2018 version of this team passes better & moves better the above statement could be completely baseless. I'm just going off of what I have seen the past few years.

after what Auburn was able to do last year, I would press full court vs UT all game long.

I had hoped that we would have enough depth this year to offset an injury but losing three players hurts from that perspective. I'm not going to debate whether the losses were good for the team or not....but I'm sure one of them was not. Now, an injury puts more pressure on the team as if it needed any more pressure coming off a season they felt was unacceptable. Anastasia will play a very important part in this years success as will the other three freshmen but guard play would be less able to withstand an injury although one can argue that we are not deep in the post either. Hoping Anastasia is ready to contribute significantly and Evina is everything she appears to be from the limited video I have seen of her. I have a feeling both will do better than expected.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back