Lady Vols Media Day Press Conference 10-27

Nia Moore was the 1-in. The other four changed. Mostly Cooper, Carter, Reynolds, DeShields, Nared when she returned from injury, Middleton some but not much.

Ah I see... that makes no sense LOL. 4 out 1 in is meant to be ran with a dominant/imposing post player. Someone the opposing team has to make a decision on & to give the anchor room to operate. I think it would work much better with Russell or Nunn as the anchor (preferably Russell). I don't even quite understand why they would even put Moore in that position but it makes sense why I thought they never ran it. Thanks.

Ah I see... that makes no sense LOL. 4 out 1 in is meant to be ran with a dominant/imposing post player. Someone the opposing team has to make a decision on & to give the anchor room to operate. I think it would work much better with Russell or Nunn as the anchor (preferably Russell). I don't even quite understand why they would even put Moore in that position but it makes sense why I thought they never ran it. Thanks.

If you saw it, it would make sense. With Russell as the 1-in, the opposition would have had 5 defenders draped all over her and the LV's had no one that had a clue how to make an outside shot and Holly screaming "THROW IT INSIDE". Yeah.

The only way it was going to work was to get a post that was mobile and could move away from the basket a bit. That was Moore. A 5-out may have been an option and I think Holly may have tried that a time or two, but the LV's were such a poor rebounding team last season that somebody had to be in that could rebound.

Don't be fooled by media day. After the starting 5 of DeShields, Reynolds, Nared, Nunn, and Russell, we are in deep trouble. The bench of Middleton, Dunbar, Harris, and Jackson scares knowone (turnovers and inconsistencies waiting to happen). If the starting 5 doesn't play, 30 plus minutes per game, effective and efficiently we are in trouble!!!! Sorry to say lady vol fans, loosing Tea Cooper and Carter to injury, was and will be critical to this season.

Reactions: 1 person
If you saw it, it would make sense. With Russell as the 1-in, the opposition would have had 5 defenders draped all over her and the LV's had no one that had a clue how to make an outside shot and Holly screaming "THROW IT INSIDE". Yeah.

The only way it was going to work was to get a post that was mobile and could move away from the basket a bit. That was Moore. A 5-out may have been an option and I think Holly may have tried that a time or two, but the LV's were such a poor rebounding team last season that somebody had to be in that could rebound.

Holly wasn't tellin em to throw the ball inside, thats a myth fed by those who don't understand offense, she was preaching attack on offense, to attack the gaps, attack the basket, to draw defenders to help, so it can be easy passes to our post players but our players just became a jump shooting team.

We ran 5 out a lot last year with Graves at the five, surrounded by Cooper, DD, Nared, Reynolds or, especially toward the latter half of the season when the rotation was pretty cut to 6 to 7 players.

And if we are efficient shooting team, then rebounding on the offensive side, which has been a staple of the lad vols, will not be as important as defensive rebounds, which I think, she will send 3 to 4 to the glass, to ensure teams don't get second opportunities, the last part of the year, the team was shooting better from field.

If you don't miss a lot of shots, rebounding then can be misleading, but we all know defense, rebounding, and Good Guard play win Championships.

Last edited:
You're most welcome. I loved all the vids of the girls. I especially loved Jordan's press conference video. They way she talked about Alexa Middleton got me choked up and about made me cry!

Silly, I guess....but I was touched.

I was a bit choked up, too. Jordan answered that backup question maturely with much respect for her teammate Alexa! I'm a fan of Alexa's and am looking forward to her junior season.

Don't be fooled by media day. After the starting 5 of DeShields, Reynolds, Nared, Nunn, and Russell, we are in deep trouble. The bench of Middleton, Dunbar, Harris, and Jackson scares knowone (turnovers and inconsistencies waiting to happen). If the starting 5 doesn't play, 30 plus minutes per game, effective and efficiently we are in trouble!!!! Sorry to say lady vol fans, loosing Tea Cooper and Carter to injury, was and will be critical to this season.

The alarm bells are going off. Turn them off, Bernard. :eek:k:

Try to envision a scenario of the bench being opposite of what you posted? Stay positive. The season is a couple of weeks away. The Lady Vols are Nine players strong! Lets start the season off on the right track and just say go lady vols!

If the wheels start to fall off?

Then I'll come back to your post and congratulate you on being a know-it-all. :)

Reactions: 2 people
Holly wasn't tellin em to throw the ball inside, thats a myth fed by those who don't understand offense, she was preaching attack on offense, to attack the gaps, attack the basket, to draw defenders to help, so it can be easy passes to our post players...

How do you make a pass to the post player without throwing the ball inside? I agree with you about the part about attacking the gaps and taking the open jump shot, but Holly definitely told the team to throw the ball inside. How many times did you hear her repeat ad infinitum the adage that we're an inside-out team?

...We ran 5 out a lot last year with Graves at the five, surrounded by Cooper, DD, Nared, Reynolds or, especially toward the latter half of the season when the rotation was pretty cut to 6 to 7 players.

A 5 out offense has all five players beyond the three-point line. I don't recall seeing Graves beyond the 3-point line with ball in her hands any last year in a 5 out offense.

I was a bit choked up, too. Jordan answered that backup question maturely with much respect for her teammate Alexa! I'm a fan of Alexa's and am looking forward to her junior season.

I agree - Jordan answered so maturely and with so much respect for Alexa. I bet it meant a lot to Alexa and I too am looking forward to seeing her play this year. It's my understanding she is a very good person - always upbeat and positive - just a doll. Rooting for her to have a great year!

Reactions: 2 people
How do you make a pass to the post player without throwing the ball inside? I agree with you about the part about attacking the gaps and taking the open jump shot, but Holly definitely told the team to throw the ball inside. How many times did you hear her repeat ad infinitum the adage that we're an inside-out team?

A 5 out offense has all five players beyond the three-point line. I don't recall seeing Graves beyond the 3-point line with ball in her hands any last year in a 5 out offense.

Yes, that's the coaching philosophy for every coach, on the offense side of the ball, inside is the highest percentage shot, (the shot closest to the basket), and its instilling a mentality, get the ball inside (attack, attack, attack) ijs.

She didn't know her players where going to be so robotic about it, (when Baylor had Griner, Kim, message was let's get the ball inside, just to make the defense collapse) especially if the coach feel like they have an advantage inside, our girls didn't know how to play with Cedes at the beginning of the season, watch the NCAA tournament to see what Holly was meaning, our team pounded the ball inside.

Yes, 5 out, doesn't mean out by the three point line, it means actually no one on the block or in the paint, so now there are nothing but driving lanes, to the basket, and the defenders are pull outside the paint.

4 & 1 and 5 & 0 is great for Pick and Roll.

Last edited:
Always get excited about Media day Holly always says positive things like Nared is a lot better player. Reynolds is a lot better. It makes you think this team could be awesome and have a much better record than last year.
I am even thinking the men might have a winning record now that is optimism.

I mean she relied on Jordan, Nared, Russelll and Diamond during that win streak to close out last year, that group was playing some pretty good basketball.

I hope so Volfan...and the great thing about it, all of those players have high bbiq...

I don't know why you would be worried. It's not like our two best players, Deshields and Russell, have an extensive history of injuries or anything. I'm sure they will hold up fine logging heavy minutes over the long season...

So true, she should have been red shirt, her 1st. year, she would have been a great 4 this year.

Just Warlick and staff not thinking....again. I mean, did she even play 20 minutes total her freshman or sophomore years?

Did you ever consider that Moore didn't want to redshirt? You're making big assumptions without knowing the facts.

True, you can't make someone stay for 5 years that doesn't want to. Even if it's a medical issue that keeps the player out of the lineup for a season, if they don't want to stay for more than 4 years, they won't.

And if we are efficient shooting team, then rebounding on the offensive side, which has been a staple of the lad vols, will not be as important as defensive rebounds, which I think, she will send 3 to 4 to the glass, to ensure teams don't get second opportunities, the last part of the year, the team was shooting better from field.

If you don't miss a lot of shots, rebounding then can be misleading, but we all know defense, rebounding, and Good Guard play win Championships.

we had an efficient/good shooting team and good guard play?

VN Store

Back