Lady Vols Game Thread vs Dayton NCAA Tournament

I agree Russell is very important to the team's success, but she can give way more than she gives some time. Getting out played and pushed around by players way smaller than you is ridiculous. Sometimes she plays lackadaisical and comes off as lazy. Why in the world are you constantly holding your hands back like you are scared send that s*** into the stands and quit watching the player score on you. It's so frustrating to watch. She should be dominating the middle. Play with some attitude and quit getting pushed around, stripped of the ball and dropping passes. Not trying to be mean, but Russell will not make it in the WNBA playing like that. She also needs to get way stronger, she gets pushed around to easily. Thank God she was more assertive in the 2nd half.

Exactly this is all I have been saying! Maybe I have been spoiled watching Glory Johnson, Tyeshia Fluker, Vicky Baugh, Kelly Cain, Nicky Anosike (yes I am showing my age) who all didn't take no BS and you wasn't coming coming in their lane without at least getting touched! It's one thing to be passive and rely on others but when your team needs you, you have to give it everything you have and sometimes it doesn't come off as her doing so! Does she help Nunn yes but there was a stretch when Nunn was in without Russell and scored 6 straight points! Nunn seems to just be a little more hungrier and as someone who didn't start playing until she was a senior in high school she is cherishing her moment with this prestigious program! She realizes what's in front of her and she hasn't been on this type of stage before! She is trying to show that she could potentially play in Europe (although with the right coach I think she could possibly blossom in the WNBA), will Russell get drafted (Yes), will it be high (Yes) will she last (If she plays like she could care less) possibly not! I am rooting for her, she is truly the key to us advancing imo! Diamond's going to get hers, and I think if Nared just settles down she will get hers also, we need Russell to be the rim protector and dominant force so that girls will second guess challenging her when they blow past middleton!

Message for Holly:There is no defensive 3 seconds in college basketball pleawe allow Russell to camp out under the basket looking for shots to block instead of having her defending the pick and roll at the top of the key

Reactions: 3 people
She cannot guard anyone with man to man defense! PERIOD!!! The only defense we should play when she is in the game is a zone so you can help hide her !
She can shoot but should be in when you need offense ! But it is her or MeMe or Nunn..... I vote for Nunn

I`m with you on this Middleton is a problem on defense and offense, Louisville game plan is to go right at her and hound her on defense because she is to slow and can not create her own shot.

A. Middleton 26 Min. 1 point
J. Reynolds 38 Min. 3 points
M. Jackson 16 Min. 2 points
total 80 Min. 5 points 3Ast
How do you win games like this.

Bingo ! you are spot on Reynolds needs to step it up on the offensive end. As for Middleton and Jackson that`s all we will get from the two.

You in Louisville? We debated going, but we got our UT email as to ticket purchase late; it came the same day the purchase had to be made, some stuff came up, and it was past 5:00 before we realized it. Talked about driving up and purchasing at site but decided to pass. Just been home for a week after being gone for over a month, only home 3 days during that time, and we are pretty much over hotels:shakehead:.

On TV it looks like very little orange in the stands from prior years. If so, sad:sad::sad:.

Just seeing your comment, SV. We did go and really enjoyed it. That is a really nice arena! We watched the second half of the Louisville/Chatt game amongst a lot of Louisville fans and gosh are they intense! It was a great birthday weekend for me - a Lady Vols tournament win and I was gifted with a LV autograph BB signed with happy birthday messages from the Lady Vols and coaches! Soooooooo wish we could stay for Monday's game (my actual birthday) but back to work it is for us.... 😪

Reactions: 2 people
Just seeing your comment, SV. We did go and really enjoyed it. That is a really nice arena! We watched the second half of the Louisville/Chatt game amongst a lot of Louisville fans and gosh are they intense! It was a great birthday weekend for me - a Lady Vols tournament win and I was gifted with a LV autograph BB signed with happy birthday messages from the Lady Vols and coaches! Soooooooo wish we could stay for Monday's game (my actual birthday) but back to work it is for us.... 😪

Happy birthday!

Reactions: 1 person
I agree Russell is very important to the team's success, but she can give way more than she gives some time. Getting out played and pushed around by players way smaller than you is ridiculous. Sometimes she plays lackadaisical and comes off as lazy. Why in the world are you constantly holding your hands back like you are scared send that s*** into the stands and quit watching the player score on you. It's so frustrating to watch. She should be dominating the middle. Play with some attitude and quit getting pushed around, stripped of the ball and dropping passes. Not trying to be mean, but Russell will not make it in the WNBA playing like that. She also needs to get way stronger, she gets pushed around to easily. Thank God she was more assertive in the 2nd half.

Your points are well-taken. But this isn't the reason the team loses. The team loses because the guards more often than not have games like this one with 5 points and 3 assists total. DD, MR, and JN quite often are playing 3 on 5. I imagine they get tired of dragging the guards around with them.

Reactions: 3 people
...Some of Nunn's success had to do with Dayton doubling up on MR and leaving space open for Nunn to operate. Both did their jobs and helped the LVs dominate the paint.

I did not watch all of the game yesterday, but the portion I watched Nunn was able to operate one-on-one because the defense followed DD and MR. I also noticed that a few times Nunn would score and then on the other end the player she was guarding would score right back.

She cannot guard anyone with man to man defense! PERIOD!!! The only defense we should play when she is in the game is a zone so you can help hide her !
She can shoot but should be in when you need offense ! But it is her or MeMe or Nunn..... I vote for Nunn

Did you actually watch the game?
AM's defense was spot on for most of her time on the floor. In fact, listen to the announcer compliment her one-on-one defense several times. As was well as MeeJay's defense.

Nunn was instrumental and needed, but without our guards protecting their dribbles and setting up plays, Nunn couldn't do what she did.

Oh, and BTW, NEWS FLASH, our scoring comes from the big 3 for the most part, not our guards... You dance with the gal you brought,,,You don't bring her to the dance and look for another partner to try the floor with...That is what the season was for, not the post-season...At this point, it is not time to teach basics, it is time to use the basics you have taught.

AM's defense was spot on for most of her time on the floor. In fact, listen to the announcer compliment her one-on-one defense several times. As was well as MeeJay's defense.

Nunn was instrumental and needed, but without our guards protecting their dribbles and setting up plays, Nunn couldn't do what she did.

Oh, and BTW, NEWS FLASH, our scoring comes from the big 3 for the most part, not our guards... You dance with the gal you brought,,,You don't bring her to the dance and look for another partner to try the floor with...That is what the season was for, not the post-season...At this point, it is not time to teach basics, it is time to use the basics you have taught.

I agree with you on AM defense MOST of the time!

As a Freshman she was a train wreck !

As a Sophmore more like a Bull in a china shop!

Finally after three years she can contribute on offense.... but as she mentioned after one particular presser.... "I played my best defense this game"

This was an acknowledgment by Alexa that even she KNOWS her defense is a weakness!!!!!!

Everyone knows and unfortunately so does the other team ! 😰

Happy Birthday🎂🎉🎂🎉 !!

The Yum Center is nice, and I bet the Lvile fans will pack it.

We were there when we lost to Maryland, then, in the FF, Md looked like lost balls. After the game, their fans told us that was the true Md team that year. What's her name got them jacked up for us, and they basically played their game of the season (if not their lives) against us. I don't like them. Still remember when they stole our PG, only one we had that year. We lost, and they won the NC. Don't think the girl ever panned out as much for them:ermm:.

Happy Birthday🎂🎉🎂🎉 !!

The Yum Center is nice, and I bet the Lvile fans will pack it.

We were there when we lost to Maryland, then, in the FF, Md looked like lost balls. After the game, their fans told us that was the true Md team that year. What's her name got them jacked up for us, and they basically played their game of the season (if not their lives) against us. I don't like them. Still remember when they stole our PG, only one we had that year. We lost, and they won the NC. Don't think the girl ever panned out as much for them:ermm:.

Thank you - I'm a blessed 'ole gal for sure! Yes, the Card fans will pack The Yum - we can bank on it. However...Mississippi State fans packed The Hump and were loud, obnoxious, and some were downright nasty. South Carolina game was packed with very vocal fans....Lady Vols can do this.💙🍊🏀

happy burfday tomorrow, T Vol.

You'll be sharing it with the ole Gule's 24th wedding annie.

hope Wifey don't remember it when she wakes up and I have a chance to get her some flowers & card. I'm always a last minute man for that kind of stuff but this time I've been terrible sick for 2 days. :(

Yes but I think she can do this consistently if Holly allows her too, Russell needs to be told to either dominate or sit and if I had to light a fire under her I sit her and let her watch (I would even play Harris if I had to)

I'd like to see her go out early in the first quarter and foul someone HARD (not viscously) when they come to the rim! Make the other team KNOW she WILL do it. Now she has a reputation of easy to score on, and other teams take advantage of it. Secondly, keep her away from the free throw line except to shoot free throws. Someone else can set screens. Third, DEMAND that she go after all rebounds. No standing and watching to see who will get it. Finally, expect her to get down the court before her teammate shoots (and be ready to rebound!)

I know there is a lot of talk about her going pro. I think that is wishful thinking. She is simply not aggressive enough to play at a higher level, unless some pro coach wants a real challenge.

I started to wonder if somehow she heard what was being said because the fourth quarter she was more aggressive than I have ever seen her several times, and seemed to be enjoying herself.

Did anybody catch Diamond holding Jackson accountable on that lazy pass she did which led to a DeShields foul??? I LOVED it. I can't wait until our freshman and Tea get back. Jackson should get garbage minutes next year...IMO

Yes I caught it and commented on it!

happy burfday tomorrow, T Vol.

You'll be sharing it with the ole Gule's 24th wedding annie.

hope Wifey don't remember it when she wakes up and I have a chance to get her some flowers & card. I'm always a last minute man for that kind of stuff but this time I've been terrible sick for 2 days. :(

Thank you so much, gule! I'm thankful to have made another trip around the sun. So sorry to hear you've been sick - lots of sickness going around in middle TN. Hope you're on the mend and able to celebrate your 24th - that's awesome! We will celebrate our 27th in August, Lord willing. I hope the Lady Vols get us a win tomorrow night!!!

This board has gotten so toxic than even when the LVs win and play a good game, some will invent reasons to condemn the team.

As you note, Middleton and Meme both did their jobs on the defensive end. The team was committed to getting points in the paint so Middleton simply was not looking for a lot of perimeter shots but she played well in other facets.

I will take this space to respond to the other critiques that have been floating around that Mercedes just need to commit hard fouls and play more physically [And I know CJ, you have NOT made this critique--I am addressing other posters here in the interest of efficiency] MR is a more of a finesse player, much more like Michelle Snow than Nicky Anosike or Kelly Cain. She has a good touch, great footwork, can handle the ball reasonably well, and is an excellent passer and runs the floor well for a 6-6 player. She is not going to out muscle most wide body post. Getting stronger is something she need to continue working on but that ain't happening during the NCAA tournament. But she remains a double-double machine. And she plays good defense in terms of staying in position, moving her feet, and not picking up silly fouls. She may not get a lot of blocks but she forces opponents to alter their shots at the rim.

And she plays smart. The LVs don't have a plan B when she is on the bench with fouls. Nunn is a good role player but she is more a power forward than a post and does not defend that well in the paint.

So, I think there is no question that Mercedes plays a bit guarded and does not take risk or avoid unnecessary fouls. With a bench this short, some trade-offs have to be made.

This board has gotten so toxic than even when the LVs win and play a good game, some will invent reasons to condemn the team.

As you note, Middleton and Meme both did their jobs on the defensive end. The team was committed to getting points in the paint so Middleton simply was not looking for a lot of perimeter shots but she played well in other facets.

I will take this space to respond to the other critiques that have been floating around that Mercedes just need to commit hard fouls and play more physically [And I know CJ, you have NOT made this critique--I am addressing other posters here in the interest of efficiency] MR is a more of a finesse player, much more like Michelle Snow than Nicky Anosike or Kelly Cain. She has a good touch, great footwork, can handle the ball reasonably well, and is an excellent passer and runs the floor well for a 6-6 player. She is not going to out muscle most wide body post. Getting stronger is something she need to continue working on but that ain't happening during the NCAA tournament. But she remains a double-double machine. And she plays good defense in terms of staying in position, moving her feet, and not picking up silly fouls. She may not get a lot of blocks but she forces opponents to alter their shots at the rim.

And she plays smart. The LVs don't have a plan B when she is on the bench with fouls. Nunn is a good role player but she is more a power forward than a post and does not defend that well in the paint.

So, I think there is no question that Mercedes plays a bit guarded and does not take risk or avoid unnecessary fouls. With a bench this short, some trade-offs have to be made.

I think she plays smart and tries to do what the staff has asked her to do realizing that if she gets into foul trouble, the team will be hard pressed to compensate. I'm fully bought in to your observation that, given the post depth of the bench, trade offs must be made.

The second round will be very tough for this team. UL has depth and can throw bodies into the game that we can't match. They will be on their home floor which is normally good for 5-10 points.

That being said, i believe we have a more talented starting 5 and if we bring at least our "B" game and get at least 15 points out of our role players, and play decent degense, we can take this game. I think it will be close at the end unless we play like the last time we met in the tournament. If the LV'S bring their "A" game, we will win by double digits.

If we get past this game, we will get Baylor most likely. I think the LV's would like the opportunity to prove they are a better team than the one that got spanked in the last game.

I'd like to see her go out early in the first quarter and foul someone HARD (not viscously) when they come to the rim! Make the other team KNOW she WILL do it. Now she has a reputation of easy to score on, and other teams take advantage of it.
I started to wonder if somehow she heard what was being said because the fourth quarter she was more aggressive than I have ever seen her several times, and seemed to be enjoying herself.

Bobkitten, on the radio pregame show, Dean Lockwood was talking to Mickey about the game plan, which was, as always, get the ball inside to Mercedes. That didn't happen, and she only touched it a few times the whole first half. Post-game, Mickey asked Dean what caused Mercedes to change in the 2nd half, and Dean said they told her she needed to work harder early in the clock to get position and ask for the ball - to be more aggressive and play like one of the best post players in the country, which she is (his words). Mercedes was responding to half-time adjustments. :clapping: :good!:

I hope they all come out with a bang against Louisville!
GLV!!

Bobkitten, on the radio pregame show, Dean Lockwood was talking to Mickey about the game plan, which was, as always, get the ball inside to Mercedes. That didn't happen, and she only touched it a few times the whole first half. Post-game, Mickey asked Dean what caused Mercedes to change in the 2nd half, and Dean said they told her she needed to work harder early in the clock to get position and ask for the ball - to be more aggressive and play like one of the best post players in the country, which she is (his words). Mercedes was responding to half-time adjustments. :clapping: :good!:

I hope they all come out with a bang against Louisville!
GLV!!

So they saw that she was playing soft and never pulled her but I am wrong for asking her as a fan to be aggressive and dominate like she has the potential to.

If she goes out with the mindset that nobody can stop her, we could be playing in the Final Four (yes I like our chances against anybody with a Dominant Russell, a Focused Nared, and a killer in Diamond, and the clean-up Cutie in Nunn).

So they saw that she was playing soft and never pulled her but I am wrong for asking her as a fan to be aggressive and dominate like she has the potential to.

If she goes out with the mindset that nobody can stop her, we could be playing in the Final Four (yes I like our chances against anybody with a Dominant Russell, a Focused Nared, and a killer in Diamond, and the clean-up Cutie in Nunn).

It was more than Mercedes playing "soft" - the guards weren't feeding her the ball. In other words, the team as a whole wasn't following the scouting report. Holly had said in one interview before the game that she didn't think Dayton had an answer for Mercedes - from that you can figure Mercedes was going to be a big part of our plan. But in the first half, Mercedes wasn't getting the ball (and she wasn't demanding it either). When they got that fixed, things clicked, even without Jaime.

VN Store

Back