Lady Vols assistant Jolette Law leaving for South Carolina

Sheryl Swoopes may be too hard-nosed, although I think her coaching style is just old-school and not abusive... (a hard-nosed, old-school coach would balance well with Holly's more mild-mannered demeanor imo -- however old-school coaching is not well-received these days)... But what about Cynthia Cooper? Is she still interested in coaching?

I think the players need someone who knows what it takes to achieve greatness in spite of all the pressure put on you from your previous accomplishments. We've had teams full of All-Americans who somewhere down the line forgot they were All-Americans and stopped playing like All-Americans. Swoopes and Cooper have achieved on every level as players and they can teach them the mentality you have to have to not only maintain at an elite level, but to continue to grow and achieve MORE. Acknowledge the pressure, embrace the pressure, then go out and show everyone why the pressure was put on you in the first place...because you can DELIVER. We need that killer instinct...and a coach that can ignite that in them again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Sheryl Swoopes may be too hard-nosed, although I think her coaching style is just old-school and not abusive... (a hard-nosed, old-school coach would balance well with Holly's more mild-mannered demeanor imo -- however old-school coaching is not well-received these days)... But what about Cynthia Cooper? Is she still interested in coaching?

I think the players need someone who knows what it takes to achieve greatness in spite of all the pressure put on you from your previous accomplishments. We've had teams full of All-Americans who somewhere down the line forgot they were All-Americans and stopped playing like All-Americans. Swoopes and Cooper have achieved on every level as players and they can teach them the mentality you have to have to not only maintain at an elite level, but to continue to grow and achieve MORE. Acknowledge the pressure, embrace the pressure, then go out and show everyone why the pressure was put on you in the first place...because you can DELIVER. We need that killer instinct...and a coach that can ignite that in them again.

Both would be great hires but I don't think either would be hired because both have head coaching experience. Whoever is brought in would be a lifetime assistant or someone who is uninterested in being a head coach or a young person trying to establish themselves in the coaching ranks.

Both would be great hires but I don't think either would be hired because both have head coaching experience. Whoever is brought in would be a lifetime assistant or someone who is uninterested in being a head coach or a young person trying to establish themselves in the coaching ranks.

Good point. But didn't Gail Goestenkors and Carolyn Peck go from Head Coach to Assistant? I think they both could just use quality stints with winning programs to enhance their resumes and their reputations as coaches. An Assistant coaching position at Tennessee is not your average Assistant coaching position. Not sure what their relationship is like with Holly...or if they even have one...but I think we need someone who could bring what they bring to the table.

Good point. But didn't Gail Goestenkors and Carolyn Peck go from Head Coach to Assistant? I think they both could just use quality stints with winning programs to enhance their resumes and their reputations as coaches. An Assistant coaching position at Tennessee is not your average Assistant coaching position. Not sure what their relationship is like with Holly...or if they even have one...but I think we need someone who could bring what they bring to the table.

Jolette Law, too.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh yeah that's right! Forgot about her. I think it's an appealing position even for head coaches

If they get back to winning, then yes. As it stands now, it wouldn't be as appealing unless the new assistant can be credited with elevating the program to where they once were. Another season like the last two and it could be a resume killer.

Cooper or Swoopes? One has a mediocre coaching record with NCAA recruiting violations, and the other a terrible coaching record before being canned for mistreating her players. Neither would be a positive addition to Tenn's staff.

If they get back to winning, then yes. As it stands now, it wouldn't be as appealing unless the new assistant can be credited with elevating the program to where they once were. Another season like the last two and it could be a resume killer.

Definitely.

Cooper or Swoopes? One has a mediocre coaching record with NCAA recruiting violations, and the other a terrible coaching record before being canned for mistreating her players. Neither would be a positive addition to Tenn's staff.

They may not be the perfect fit but they need someone who understands and can light a fire under them. Been focusing on the Xs and Os approach for a while now and it's not working. Just because a coach has a squeaky clean record that doesn't mean they'll bring what a particular team needs.

I agree but I think Peck's return to Vandy was not really to just coach, I think she has her sites set on being the AD there and what better way to do that than to be visible again on the campus of you alma mater?

I agree but I think Peck's return to Vandy was not really to just coach, I think she has her sites set on being the AD there and what better way to do that than to be visible again on the campus of you alma mater?

I thought Vandy did not have an AD. ????

VN Store

Back