Lady Vol Softball inks #2 class

...but academic excellence has become very much a recruiting asset for Stanford, Duke, Vandy and even top state schools like UVA. Tough academic schools over the years have given a few admission chits to their coaches annually--granted admission to a few athletes, whom the coaches really want, if they are good/solid students but otherwise wouldn't have gained admission under normal circumstances. I don't know if Stanford or Duke do that now--but I strongly suspect that they do. And good students (athletes) certainly know the value of the education at those schools. This is why the Stanford women win the women's all-sports title most years. (Or maybe it is because they offer so many sports. Stanford has--get this--19 women's sports, which I think is 9 or 10 more than we do, including sailing, fencing, lacrosse, water polo and more!

UT would also if they brought in the money Stanford does in tuition and state monies.

Tuition and Fees Stanford 2017-2018 $49,617
Tuition and Fees Tennessee 2017-2018 $12,664

Last edited:
UT would also if they brought in the money Stanford does in tuition and state monies.

Tuition and Fees Stanford 2017-2018 $49,617
Tuition and Fees Tennessee 2017-2018 $12,664

and UT is state--so always a big difference is tuition. State universities have been hurt because legislatures in many states have dramatically, and stupidly, cut back on their funding. A good academic reputation can help significantly.

Bearden seems to have developed some power in the off season. Hopefully all of the freshmen from last season have improved. Wish we could get less slapping and more power hitting out of Leach.

and UT is state--so always a big difference is tuition. State universities have been hurt because legislatures in many states have dramatically, and stupidly, cut back on their funding. A good academic reputation can help significantly.

Ever heard of Hope

Bearden seems to have developed some power in the off season. Hopefully all of the freshmen from last season have improved. Wish we could get less slapping and more power hitting out of Leach.

Sure playing little sisters of the poor, hopefully she can do it against SEC competition

Rittman was a perennial underachiever at Stanford. He consistently got AAs and did little with them. Yes they were better with him but let's not act like they were an elite program. Far from it, although they consistently go their fair share of high school AAs from the top travel teams.

I wouldn't call SC a recruiting "hotbed". There have been a few good recruits come out of there -- most notably Carly Hoover who was HS NPOY (and ironically went to Stanford and redshirted before transferring) and Matty Moss (Jury wasn't an elite recruit nor an elite college pitcher), but it's not even the hotbed that TN is, TBH -- TN has had many more elite recruits the past few years than SC. Georgia and Florida are MUCH bigger hotbeds and, along with Texas, are the main hotbed states outside of California.

VN Store

Back