KY loses 8 players--will the Vols take over the East?

Trevols, we took the foot off the gas against UK??!!?? Are you joking?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Edit: I guess if you mean the SEC Tourney game, I could agree.

Sad to say but I'm afraid vanderbilt may be the favorite coming in. But I think it will be a 4 team race, between Tennessee, Kentucky, Florida, and vandy

I agree whatcanbrowndo4u, btw brown could get his arse back to practice and stop this transfer talk madness for me, since you asked and all.

Hardwood; How much concern is there from Cat fans about the recent level of player turnover(Cal's watch), and the possibility of running into APR rate problems down the road somewhere?

As you would expect from Kentucky fans, there is a decent size contingency that is absolutely flipping out, suggesting that the "one and done" players are not the answer to our problems, and that we can never win a championship due to what happened this season. They are calling for a complete overhaul of the Calipari recruiting process.

However, that is a pretty small contingency. For the most part, fans understand that this level of expectation was NEVER in anyones wildest dreams this season. Last year, we would have settled for a 12 seed and been happy about it. Sad times.

As for the APR rate problems, everyone doesn't seem to concerned. This year is obviously an anomaly, and Cal has stated that it wouldn't be that huge of a deal to lose the scholly. While I would rather not lose it, its not that big of a deal.

Last year, we would have settled for a 12 seed and been happy about it. Sad times.

Making a lot of excuses for Cal this morning are we?

Why are you bringing up last year? The fact is Kentucky started this season with 5 1st round NBA picks, including two lottery picks, and your coach/team underachieved. Period.

Why are you bringing up last year? The fact is Kentucky started this season with 5 1st round NBA picks, including two lottery picks, and your coach/team underachieved. Period.

As much as it pains me to defend a UK fan, I don't see how it is so obvious that UK underachieved this season. It's rare that a team comprised largely of freshmen can win the whole thing. They finished the season ranked 2nd in the AP. Plus, crazy stuff happens in the NCAA tournament. Everyone knows that. Look at Kansas.

I don't think they underachieved, but were slightly overrated. However, they definitely underachieved in comparison to the hopes of many UK fans.

I don't think it makes UT the favorite to win the east next year, but I think the east will be very wide open. UT, UK, UF, Vandy, maybe even UGA will have a shot at winning.

As much as it pains me to defend a UK fan, I don't see how it is so obvious that UK underachieved this season. It's rare that a team comprised largely of freshmen can win the whole thing. They finished the season ranked 2nd in the AP. Plus, crazy stuff happens in the NCAA tournament. Everyone knows that. Look at Kansas.

All one needs to do is look back at where the program was at before Cal signed his contract.

I'm married into a delusional UK family. Even they understand that it was a Hell of a turnaround. Did they expect a championship, Hell yes they did. But they expected that the year before and the year before that.

But to a man, the ones that truly are basketball fans and not the toenail chompers, agree that it was a tremendous job by Cal to turn things around that quick with the class he brought in.

Let's get this straight when Calapari took over at UK he ran off players telling them in effect you need to find someplace else to play because you won't play here. Now he has 3 graduating seniors and 5 players have declared for the draft meaning he has to replace 8 players for next year. He has 4 holdovers of which one is looking to go somewhere else to play... And people think that UT has to replace players???
I really like the position that we are in at UT and think that we have the best coach in the SEC. Calapari has shown time and time again that he is a liability as a bench coach. He can recruit like no one else however. Stallings had a vastly more talented Vanderbilt team but they could not even beat an OVC team in the NCAA tournament much less a Miss State team in the SEC tournament. I am very excited about the future of UT basketball and look forward to being in the Final 4 very soon....

But to a man, the ones that truly are basketball fans and not the toenail chompers, agree that it was a tremendous job by Cal to turn things around that quick with the class he brought in.

What did he turn around? The entire class is gone. He is starting over again.

Kentucky isn't bringing back much in terms of numbers, but I believe a few of those guys will have big years next year.
D Miller stepped it up at the end of the year, I think he is poised for a breakout year.
D Liggins improved immensely during the season- is long, can play D, and the shoot the trey.
J Hood didn't see very much action (not surprising given who he was behind on the depth chart) but I believe learned a LOT in the process- he can shoot the lights out, and I think will have a very solid year.

With that being said- not many in East Tennessee gave much validity to the thought in summer and fall of '09 that Kentucky would be able to play all those freshmen and be that competitive, at least not right away. So, don't underestimate Cal, there is a method to his madness. If he didn't think he would be able to replace them pretty easily, he may not have encouraged them quite as much to test the NBA draft waters.

He knew Wall and Cousins was leaving, as well as Patterson. I'm not sure he was strongly encouraging the other freshmen to leave. The question is do you do well rebuilding with freshmen every year? I have no doubt that he will have another great recruiting class, but will again have to rely on freshmen. Last years class was an exceptional freshmen class. This year won't be the same quality regardless of who is signed. KY is still the team to beat, as always in the SEC, but I like our chances this year. Folks talking about Vandy being the favored must have forgotten about the great Vandy flame-out in the post season.

Look at Duke.

Just because Kansas choked doesn't mean Kentucky didn't choke. They both choked. They both underachieved.

They both underachieved in their final game. That does not mean that they underchieved this season or that their seasons were dissapointments. By your estimation all of the lower seeds that lost to higher seeds underachieved this year.

Syracuse, Kansas St, Maryland, Vandy, Pitt, Nova, New Mexico, Wisconsin...

They both underachieved in their final game. That does not mean that they underchieved this season or that their seasons were dissapointments. By your estimation all of the lower seeds that lost to higher seeds underachieved this year.

Exactly.

By the logic created by some, every team except Duke choked.

Uuuh exactly. Since when did the regular season or anything outside of the tourney matter on this forum?

In my opinion, UT has the most potential in the conference next year. (unless UK finishes really, really big) If they land Selby, they should definitely be the most talented team in the conference. I find it hard to imagine anyone fielding a more talented group than a team with Selby, Harris, Tatum, Hopson, and Williams in the starting 5, with a bench that should be pretty solid. That group should have the ability to make a pretty deep run in the tourney as well. However, that's all potential. Have a long way to go to get to that level.

Seems to me we are only a Selby away from being there. Even without Selby, we will be fine. Golden is a quality player that will be a major contributor next season and will add another scoring threat to this team.

Hmmmmmm. Wonder how big of a pay cut these UK players will have to take now that they are going to the NBA? :)

Im not so sure about that.

I promise he's not. Itd be a surprise if uk got him in the same sense as it honestly would if ut got him. It would have to be an insane and impressive push by cal at the end. I do believe this kid has been jayhawk for a while now.

VN Store

Back