Kudos to Jancek

I'll eat a single serving of crow on Jancek. The defense looking 100 times better prepared than the Vandy game last year. Every aspect seems to improved form tackling to coverage. I hope that it holds out and improves the rest of the year as well.

Thing is Martinez, Thig and Stripling are beginning to look like a great assemblage of position coaches. Seems like Jancek works with them well. It will be nice to see the D build on tonight's shutdown.

Utah state is supposed to be a solid team. What we did was impressive no matter how you slice it.

They got a complete beat down.. Should have scored 45 to 50 on them. We stopped ourselves.. btw.. Daniel Gray.. You suck

Oh yeah. Can't forget. Georgia trolls beat it into my head.

And our own so called fans that want to be right about predicting failure. Jancek/Martinez get the brunt. They haven't been the issue since they got here, and did ok last year considering.
Can you believe the closing speed difference? That qb runs for 100+ yards against last year's front 7

Not sold yet but I have hope.

Our team speed is better. Better technique. Less confusion on the field.

Reactions: 1 person
Who knows how this is going to work out. The auto assumptions of their failure have no merit though and the ones saying Butch was just buying 2 years with jancek/Martinez couldn't be more incorrect. Guys seemed to be in the right spots last year and in the first game, but we had speed and confidence to make the play.
If their qb scrambles like that last year, he runs for 100 yards and at least a td.
Bajak concerns me, but he has time to impress and grow.

Who knows how this is going to work out. The auto assumptions of their failure have no merit though and the ones saying Butch was just buying 2 years with jancek/Martinez couldn't be more incorrect. Guys seemed to be in the right spots last year and in the first game, but we had speed and confidence to make the play.
If their qb scrambles like that last year, he runs for 100 yards and at least a td.
Bajak concerns me, but he has time to impress and grow.

In postgame interviews both AJ and Curt said that a lot of the big defensive plays came pretty easily because the coaches prepped them for exactly what USU ended up running and put them in the right positions.

This doesn't mean we've arrived defensively yet, but people writing off the staff last year were way off base.

Utah state is supposed to be a solid team. What we did was impressive no matter how you slice it.

They're also awkward... sort of like an unorthodox boxer. They do some weird stuff on D that makes them difficult to account for.

In postgame interviews both AJ and Curt said that a lot of the big defensive plays came pretty easily because the coaches prepped them for exactly what USU ended up running and put them in the right positions.

This doesn't mean we've arrived defensively yet, but people writing off the staff last year were way off base.

The questions were legitimate at the time but the coaching heading into this one looked great as did the playcalling. Interesting enough... Jones said they'd be somewhat conservative until the young guys get more seasoned. That'll be interesting.

I don't know if it was just USU O, but the D looked faster, better coached, and tackled very good all game. I don't know how many times I saw last year a short pass go for a huge run after a missed tackle or the wrong angle being taken. This game there were not that many missed tackles, a lot of gang tackling and a sure tackling

I had to check multiple times to see if it was actually Tennessee that was playing. I turn 18 in September and only started really watching football during Dooley's last two years. I'm used to watching bad defensive play. I felt a feeling tonight I haven't felt before.

GBO

This is so sad. I came of age as a Vol fan watching the likes of Leonard Little, Al Wilson and John Henderson crushing people. Also, Alabama sucked and we beat them almost every year under Phil Fulmer.

When I see a post like this from somebody who never experienced UT as a perennial top-10 team, I feel like one of the old characters from Game of Thrones talking about how things were during the last "Winter." To extend the analogy, right now we have a lot of unsuspecting rivals to our South who are fighting between themselves (Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida), but none of them have any idea that we are rapidly strengthening into an unstoppable power. Winter is definitely coming, and it's gonna be awesome...

The questions were legitimate at the time but the coaching heading into this one looked great as did the playcalling. Interesting enough... Jones said they'd be somewhat conservative until the young guys get more seasoned. That'll be interesting.

Disagree, with the personnel we had last year I thought it was pretty obvious the coaches couldn't implement what they wanted on either side of the ball. IMO a fair assessment couldn't be made. We'll have a good idea by the end of this year though.

I don't know if it was just USU O, but the D looked faster, better coached, and tackled very good all game. I don't know how many times I saw last year a short pass go for a huge run after a missed tackle or the wrong angle being taken. This game there were not that many missed tackles, a lot of gang tackling and a sure tackling

There are some that will say it was only an upgrade in speed and talent. UT is faster and especially on the DL... but MUCH of what we saw was coaching and development. McNeil who many here had written off completely played fast and delivered some of the big hits we were all excited to see when he signed out of Texas. Coleman had one breakdown where he appears to have missed his jam but if you'll notice... USU threw away from his side of the field for much of the night. That's a good sign. Swafford played well. JRM played well.

O'Brien played like a new man.

Yes they have more talent across the board on D now but it took coaching to get the older players to improve that much AND to get the new guys ready to play that well. The trajectory is good for this D to give many teams problems this year.

Disagree, with the personnel we had last year I thought it was pretty obvious the coaches couldn't implement what they wanted on either side of the ball. IMO a fair assessment couldn't be made. We'll have a good idea by the end of this year though.

That's OK. As much as I was critical of what they didn't get done last year, I have been HIGHLY impressed with the off-season development. I am willing to accept that it just takes that long. I am NOT willing to discount the impact of good coaching. Give credit where it is due. Several returning players and particularly McNeil looked like they knew what was going on. Unlike last year, they were in the right place at the right time and made plays on a consistent basis. That's coaching.

That's OK. As much as I was critical of what they didn't get done last year, I have been HIGHLY impressed with the off-season development. I am willing to accept that it just takes that long. I am NOT willing to discount the impact of good coaching. Give credit where it is due. Several returning players and particularly McNeil looked like they knew what was going on. Unlike last year, they were in the right place at the right time and made plays on a consistent basis. That's coaching.

sjt gives you credit for coaching, you take that credit and go buy a lottery ticket! :gone:

VN Store

Back