Knoxville Overnight Stay - looking for suggestions

Hey fellas; SPOTREP....once again, thanks for the info and advice from all.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza....nice experience overall....they could fork out some dough for a/c in the elevator and corridors, but no real complaints.

We walked to campus....bad move on my part. Hotter than I thought it would be in the evening and the hills are nothing to laugh at if you aren't prepared. I did fine, but HH6 was giving me "the look" on the way back.

Market Square was fun and so was Gay ST. We did Tupelo Honey; casual pint; downtown grill & brewery; and Suttree's High Gravity. Good food at a couple and great beers at all.

Tried to find the UT football HOF....found what we thought it was and not what was expected. It's supposedly in the Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex, but all we found was a wall. Come-on man...UT has to be better than that. Did get a pic of the indoor practice area through the door slat windows thought.

Great experience overall...we'll be back at some point. And it was nice to be surrounded by Orange & T's instead of a's and au's. :)

Once again...thanks to those who made helpful suggestions.

Oh...wife was a bit disappointed Pete's Cafe was closed for the week...supposedly they have the best breakfast in the area, but I told her everyone deserves a vacation.

GO VOLS

Last edited:
The Copper Cellar. Built in 1972 and original design by an art student, it was an original competitor of the very first Ruby Tuesdays that was just around the corner. Ruby's is gone, but The Cellar is still there. It's the first of, so I suppose flagship of the Copper Foods restaurants. The Celar, Calhouns, Smokey Mountain Brewery, Chesapeakes, Cappucinos, and others I guess.

Appreciate your mention of the Copper Cellar. The original opened in 1975. It was below street level. The presence on Cumberland was a door with a sign above. It opened to descending stairs. A small space, it had 94 seats, including every stool at the bar. I worked there from 1976 - 1979.

VN Store

Back