Knoxville for tourists?

Let me help you out a little bit..follow this and you'll be fine.

Stay in one of the hotels Downtown. I live in the Sterchi Lofts on Gay Street and it makes getting to the stadium VERY easy. Its a mile walk (not so bad after a few drinks).

Don't eat at Downtown Grill and Brew. The beer is great, the food is horrid. Maybe try Tomato Head, Sun Spot, Dazzos, or Goal Post Tavern for great prices and great tastes.

Find a parking spot on Friday night.

Don't go to East Town Mall (although I don't imagine it will even be open by the time you visit).

Don't go to the Weigles on Summit Hill.

Don't cross the Gay St bridge.

Don't let your gf or wife walk alone through the Old City after 6pm.

Hang out at the Longbranch instead of the Tin Roof. : )

If you're drinking and walking the streets, make sure you're wearing orange.

And last but probably the most important...

Every tourist is required to take one of Knoxvilles' bums back to their city.

...if you somehow find Oak Ridge, go to Big Eds.

Stay in one of the hotels Downtown. I live in the Sterchi Lofts on Gay Street and it makes getting to the stadium VERY easy. Its a mile walk (not so bad after a few drinks).

Don't eat at Downtown Grill and Brew. The beer is great, the food is horrid. Maybe try Tomato Head, Sun Spot, Dazzos, or Goal Post Tavern for great prices and great tastes.

Don't go to East Town Mall (although I don't imagine it will even be open by the time you visit).

You are cray.

Lulz, Old city ain't that bad. I would put the cut-off around dark. We don't actually see much crime in that area, mainly PI's.

Great pizza but we stopped going after they refused to take down their confederate flag, and in so few words told my father to Fawk off.

Not a fan of the paper thin crust of Big Eds pizza
Downtown or the Old City to me is a waste of time, too many homeless people soliciting
Never have understood what the attraction is to live downtown

It does have a lot of charm, though, and it's a ton of fun. In that sense, it's much like Pittsburgh.

You just tried to compliment Knoxville and then compared it to one of the top 5 worst cities in America. So which is it?

You just tried to compliment Knoxville and then compared it to one of the top 5 worst cities in America. So which is it?

Pittsburgh is a great city. They have done a tremendous job turning around a dead steel economy into one based around financial services and tech.

I've always had good times when in Pitt. The people there are friendly, and there are a lot of fun places to visit and go out. It's also very safe these days. It's not the same town it was in the early 90's.

Regardless of your opinion of Pittsburgh, you obviously missed the comparison of the two cities.

not sure if serious...:unsure:

1.)Don't eat at Downtown Grill and Brew. The beer is great, the food is horrid. Maybe try Tomato Head, Sun Spot, Dazzos, or Goal Post Tavern for great prices and great tastes.

2.)Hang out at the Longbranch instead of the Tin Roof. : )

3.)And last but probably the most important...

1.) Wrong. Saying GPT is better than DG&B for food is just ridiculous.

2.) No offense, but I've been in Longbranch 4 times, and every time it smelled like weed and was full of hipster kids. If that's your crowd, great, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for someone visiting town for the first time.

3.) I wish.

Pizza - DTGB is pretty good for food. Beats Tomato Head any day for "specialty" pizzas but, if you like classic pizza and organic ingredients, Tomato Head is obviously the place to go in Knoxville. DTGB has good, albeit very weak, beer.

Food - Knoxville is not a great dining city. Everyone has their favorite hole-in-the-wall or "local" eatery, but there's little that is truly impressive. Cafe 4, 31 Bistro and Oodles Uncorked are the best downtown options, while driving up Kingston Pike will lead you to the likes of Echo, Chez Liberty and Seasons if you really want to make a drive. There's a great restaurant called Cru which will have opened up a new location on Gay Street by the time you get here, and it's probably the best casually refined dining in the city.

Bars - The Strip really begins to suck the moment you're actually of legal drinking age. If you're a mature 20-something or older, you'll hate it. Conversely, if you dislike club atmospheres, you'll hate everything in the Old City that's not Urban, Barley's or Pilot Light. You'd probably enjoy Crown & Goose (though it closes really early) but, other than that, you'll find yourself on the 400 block of Gay Street or Market Square unless you venture out into West Knoxville.

Safety - Downtown Knoxville is safe (yes, even the Old City); the Fort Sanders area directly adjacent to the UT Campus and Cumberland Avenue is not. There are some cool bars to go on Magnolia and Broadway, but I would advise against pressing your luck and walking to them from downtown.

Hotels - Knoxville hotels are sort of strange. It's cheaper to stay near the more predominately residential areas of town, but you'll have to pay for parking and such then and it's way more of a pain in the ass than staying downtown. Our Marriott hotel is absolute garbage, and the downtown Hilton is pretty antiquated too. The Oliver is streets ahead of every other hotel in Knoxville but, if you'd like to spend a little less and still stay downtown, the Hampton Inn seems nice and the Holiday Inn is undergoing massive renovations and will be a surprisingly decent option.

Also, Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge don't deserve to be on your itinerary, let alone part of this country. Avoid at all costs.

VN Store

Back