Knecht in the latest ESPN mock draft

Considering where they picked, and who was available, most teams would kill to have a run like this. Missing on Tatum was the only big mistake, but nobody thought that at the time. And Reaves was undrafted, so add him to the list

View attachment 645286
Clearly the Celtics knew about Tatum, they traded down from 1 to 3 because they knew he would be available.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Majerlie averaged 16/17 ppg in his prime years and made 3 all star games so that's a pretty high bar.

I think that DK can have a five to nine year run similar to the best DM years but probably will not be making all star appearances, and neither would DM in today's NBA . All depends on the team DK goes to but his skills translate very well to the NBA.

I would say in terms of what he can do vs. his peers, Majerlie is a pretty high bar to set. But if you just look at offensive skill set, size, and athleticism, Knecht is better. I wouldn't say a "very rich man's version," but Majerlie was mostly a catch-and-shoot guy from an era where they let you have much more open 3's, and he only shot 36%. I expect Knecht to be shooting 36% off the dribble.

Majerle became primarily a catch and shoot guy in his later years but drove to the basket frequently when he was younger. I agree that Knecht has much better tools but could still not compare as favorably to his peers.

The "very rich man's" reference was in regard to their abilities. DK is better all around player that can score from anywhere, is creative and is a bigger/better athlete who is possibly still growing. He already has great size and strength for an NBA wing to go with a great vertical and aggressive style. Ball handling improvement will determine his ceiling.

Majerle became primarily a catch and shoot guy in his later years but drove to the basket frequently when he was younger. I agree that Knecht has much better tools but could still not compare as favorably to his peers.

The "very rich man's" reference was in regard to their abilities. DK is better all around player that can score from anywhere, is creative and is a bigger/better athlete who is possibly still growing. He already has great size and strength for an NBA wing to go with a great vertical and aggressive style. Ball handling improvement will determine his ceiling.

I'm a Suns fan. I like Majerle. I think he was really good...but he's probably the most over-appreciated Phoenix Suns star. He had a great career, and I would be super happy for Knecht if he had that career, but more recent Suns like Shawn Marion are basically forgotten, and Majerle could run for governor.

And Majerle is given all this credit for being a great defender, and I think he did have good defensive value, but ingrained in my mind is MJ putting the dude on roller skates. He could not stay in front of him. Suns had to put little KJ on MJ, that's how badly it was going for Majerle. Barkley was absolutely going off on Pippen and it wasn't enough because an all-NBA defensive guard was allowing the greatest finals performance of all time.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I'm a Suns fan. I like Majerle. I think he was really good...but he's probably the most over-appreciated Phoenix Suns star. He had a great career, and I would be super happy for Knecht if he had that career, but more recent Suns like Shawn Marion are basically forgotten, and Majerle could run for governor.

And Majerle is given all this credit for being a great defender, and I think he did have good defensive value, but ingrained in my mind is MJ putting the dude on roller skates. He could not stay in front of him. Suns had to put little KJ on MJ, that's how badly it was going for Majerle. Barkley was absolutely going off on Pippen and it wasn't enough because an all-NBA defensive guard was allowing the greatest finals performance of all time.
I'm a much bigger Matrix fan than Thunder Dan. But to diminish a guys defensive value because MJ "put him on skates" and was a bad matchup for him is just odd imo. How many good defenders would have been in the league at all?

I think that DK can have a five to nine year run similar to the best DM years but probably will not be making all star appearances, and neither would DM in today's NBA . All depends on the team DK goes to but his skills translate very well to the NBA.
interesting breakdown of rule interpretation over the years in the NBA:

I'm a much bigger Matrix fan than Thunder Dan. But to diminish a guys defensive value because MJ "put him on skates" and was a bad matchup for him is odd. How many good defenders would have been in the league at all?

Like it or not, it's part of his legacy. It's OK to say you got cooked by MJ. It's the 41, 8, and 6 part. It's the part that the Suns would think 6' 1" KJ who was not known for defense would be a better option. It's the part that MJ didn't do this well against any other finals opponent. I mean, the Jazz were putting Russell + Hornacek + Stockton on him and he wasn't cooking like this. When you got all-NBA honors, people just expect a little more from you than the guys who don't have that.

Like it or not, it's part of his legacy. It's OK to say you got cooked by MJ. It's the 41, 8, and 6 part. It's the part that the Suns would think 6' 1" KJ who was not known for defense would be a better option. It's the part that MJ didn't do this well against any other finals opponent. I mean, the Jazz were putting Russell + Hornacek + Stockton on him and he wasn't cooking like this. When you got all-NBA honors, people just expect a little more from you than the guys who don't have that.
Guess I just haven't met any Suns fans or NBA fans that appreciate Thunder Dans contributions more than the Matrix. And to use his struggles against the best to do it doesn't make sense to me still. jmo

Guess I just haven't met any Suns fans or NBA fans that appreciate Thunder Dans contributions more than the Matrix. And to use his struggles against the best to do it doesn't make sense to me still. jmo

I'm not saying people think Majerle was better than Matrix. I'm saying he's appreciated more. If you talk about the good ol' days with casuals, Thunder Dan is always one of the first 3 names that comes up. Nash and Barkley should pretty much be guaranteed 1 and 2, but I would say Dan is neck and neck for that 3rd spot with KJ. Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, and Chambers are all on a different tier. Raja Bell is the guy I bring up, FWIW.

Fun fact, Marion played for the Suns longer than Majerle did. Would't have guessed that off the top of my head.

I'm not saying people think Majerle was better than Matrix. I'm saying he's appreciated more. If you talk about the good ol' days with casuals, Thunder Dan is always one of the first 3 names that comes up. Nash and Barkley should pretty much be guaranteed 1 and 2, but I would say Dan is neck and neck for that 3rd spot with KJ. Stoudemire, Marion, Diaw, and Chambers are all on a different tier. Raja Bell is the guy I bring up, FWIW.

Fun fact, Marion played for the Suns longer than Majerle did. Would't have guessed that off the top of my head.
ah, Tom Chambers who made my 2nd all-time favorite dunk:

interesting breakdown of rule interpretation over the years in the NBA:

I would say most of the rule changes are for the better. There are a handful of rules I would change, but for the most part we want to favor offense. Part of what I like about the modern NBA is that the emphasis on defensive personnel is so key. Because the game favors offense and is so spread out, you can expose bad defender. 3 and D guys are getting $100m contracts left and right. There just wasn't this kind of value on perimeter defenders in the past, and now the league is prioritizing it. It's like the game makers hacked the system to get more skilled defenders, while allowing star offensive players to get more highlights.

Also, there have been key rule changes that have favored defense, too. Like you can double away from the ball now. That was illegal D in the 90's. The scheme the T-Wolves used to stop Jokic was against the old rules. MJ literally said that rule change would've altered his career.

Update has him 13 to kings. Kind of low but at least would be a fun stable high powered team.
Edey predicted at 12th to OKC.

Edey predicted at 12th to OKC.
I have a feeling Edey goes to a west coast contender missing a big man. OKC, Grizzlies, Lakers. I think Knecht and Edey are going to be victims of circumstance like if the right team is there. But the teams they'd fit on best would be playoff contenders because both of them contribute now types. 10-15 range for both of them is realistic but one of them going as high as 8 would not shock me. After the combine, you'd be hard-pressed to point out 3 centers better than Edey or 3 shooting guards better than Knecht

I have a feeling Edey goes to a west coast contender missing a big man. OKC, Grizzlies, Lakers. I think Knecht and Edey are going to be victims of circumstance like if the right team is there. But the teams they'd fit on best would be playoff contenders because both of them contribute now types. 10-15 range for both of them is realistic but one of them going as high as 8 would not shock me. After the combine, you'd be hard-pressed to point out 3 centers better than Edey or 3 shooting guards better than Knecht
OKC would be a good fit for Edey, he would be a better rim protector than Holmgren.

Definitely a better rebounder..

Dallas would be an excellent spot for Knecht but Dallas doesn't have a 1st round draft pick.

Knecht hitting corner 3's all night long while teams go after Kyrie and Luka.

OKC would be a good fit for Edey, he would be a better rim protector than Holmgren.

Definitely a better rebounder..
Edey at the 5 and homgren at the 4 would be a nice rotation with the guys they have but in a way OKC has size and a wealth of young talent, I think they trade down if possible.

But, here is an interesting thing to think about and I am slipping out there but we are talking about posts and I have been posting consistently about how NBA teams covet youth. Right now the NBA finals are all about the mavs tanking to not give up their top 10 protected pick last year. They traded that pick down to 12 and picked Derick Lively. A freshman center who averaged 5 points and 5 rebounds (Duke), in the lottery. For every upperclassman drafted in the lottery in the NBA in the post 90's and became a factor in the league. I can name you 30 freshman and sophomores drafted in the lottery who are household names. Since the late 90's and early 2000's the idea of metrics became a thing ( thank the Oakland A's). Metrics derived from sabermetrics are the thing that all teams at least consider these days. Since the 2000's too many championship teams have been built on the concept for even the most old school teams to ignore.

Reactions: knoxvol52
As I've said, I'll be first in line to buy Knecht Spurs jersey if he goes there. That'll be so much fun to watch. Could see a more ready made team like Memphis also take him since he's 23 and more polished product
Selfishly I’d love to see DK in Memphis but I’d be surprised. They need a big man in the worst way. Latest rumors are they are trying to move up to try to get Klingen. If they can’t move up, don’t be surprised if they take Edey or Ware at 9. They have to get a physical big man to take the inside heat off Jaren Jackson. If they can’t get one in the draft or decide those two aren’t worth it, they’ll be active in the trade market. They don’t have to be a star. Just a big body who can pick and roll and rebound. They have plenty of firepower with J. Jackson, Morant, Bane and an up-and-coming GG Jackson.

Reactions: The Dog
Selfishly I’d love to see DK in Memphis but I’d be surprised. They need a big man in the worst way. Latest rumors are they are trying to move up to try to get Klingen. If they can’t move up, don’t be surprised if they take Edey or Ware at 9. They have to get a physical big man to take the inside heat off Jaren Jackson. If they can’t get one in the draft or decide those two aren’t worth it, they’ll be active in the trade market. They don’t have to be a star. Just a big body who can pick and roll and rebound. They have plenty of firepower with J. Jackson, Morant, Bane and an up-and-coming GG Jackson.
JJJ doesn't like to rebound, so I agree. Probably open him up for even more blocks coming as a weak side defender. If Ja comes back completely healthy and in 22-23 form, they are going to be a problem, again. I still think they need another shooter, Klingen would be the perfect pick, tho. But Edey could be a good Steven Adams replacement. Ja's a superstar, but he has to get his head on straight. Anyway, I agree with everything you said

Reactions: Delmar

VN Store

Back