Kirby Smart getting new 7-year $49M deal

You won't see the bubble burst until it happens.

The bubble won't burst until fans and boosters to decide to stop committing so much money towards college football. The college football bubble could burst on its own (if it simply started becoming less popular) or there could be an external economic event that pops it (recession in the broader economy, etc.).

At the moment, big football schools are by no means going broke or under any sort of fiscal strain by paying coaches millions of dollars a year, even if those coaches are overpaid relative to others.

Auburn and Gus is like the Cincinnati Bengals with Andy Dalton. Gus probably isn't the guy that is going to meet your extremely high expectations (win national titles, and consistently be in contention to win one), but he is good enough that there are big risks associated with firing him. If you don't knock it out of the park with Gus's replacement, you set the program back multiple years. And if you fear that Gus might leave to go elsewhere, you are bound to overpay him.

Gus has more than proven now that if he doesn't have a great QB, his teams will be very mediocre, now matter how good the rest of the team actually is. Of course, every team is better with a great QB, but I think it is kind of a liability that you're virtually guaranteed to be mediocre or worse if you don't have a great one.

The defense on their 2016 team was quite good, for example, but they went 8-5 (5-3) anyway.

DC, Kevin Steele, has saved Gus's bacon. Gus has been willing to sacrifice pace of play the last few years to keep his defense off the field. Being willing to play more of a field position game and playing more ball control and getting a DC that knows his business was the best thing the barner has done since taking the reigns.

Otherwise, that Chip Kelly imitation he was doing with his offense would have gotten him fired by now.

I guess I was thinking that prior to last year, you had squeaked by the previous 2 games by a combined 4 points and had also been beat pretty good 2 years before that. My point was that the game has the possibility of being competitive, meaning that you will probably win but it’s no guarantee, especially on the road against a team with a veteran QB.

I think all of Georgia's games will be more competitive this year. UGA will take a small step back imo. I also agree with you that I wouldn't be shocked to see UGA lose early to USC. Its an early season game, at USC, and our defense will be young.

I have to say it's a little early for that kind of money.I would have waited for at least an out right sec championship and another playoff birth.. Just my opinion.

I have to say it's a little early for that kind of money.I would have waited for at least an out right sec championship and another playoff birth.. Just my opinion.

IMO Gus’ contract set the market for Smart. If Gus hadn’t received a contract like he did then smart might not have already gotten an extension. Or maybe UGA and it’s fans aren’t used to being there and jumped the gun.

Exactly...the shine has come off St Harbaugh.....he is looking like a 3-dollar bill in Ann Arbor.

I'd love to see Michigan come unraveled this year and there be immense pressure to fire him. In each of the last 2 years they've struggled towards the end of the season in particular.

VN Store

Back