Kim Davis

You really compare her refusing to issue a license to the Westboro group?

Seriously?

Did I miss where she was protesting at soldier's funerals? Did I miss the "God hates ****" sign on her desk? And do you really think she deserved to be tossed into jail?

I think she and the Westboro group share a common belief, seriously.

And yes, she deserves jail - she's in jail because she not only refused to issue certificates in defiance of the courts order, she also told the judge she wouldn't allow her employees to issue certificates.

If a Quaker defied a judges order to issue firearm licenses due his commitment to pacifism, would you support that decision?

Reactions: 4 people
She is asking that the State remove her name from the licenses, and if that occurs she says she will not prevent other clerks from issuing them to same sex couples as an "accommodation" to her.

Initially, I thought that this might be a good idea, but after having mulled it over, it is clear to me that no compromise should be reached. She is not entitled to an accommodation so as to violate a clear directive from the US Supreme Court. If that is allowed, then what accommodation is next?

No. She must resign or go back to jail.

Reactions: 8 people

And yes, she deserves jail - she's in jail because she not only refused to issue certificates in defiance of the courts order, she also told the judge she wouldn't allow her employees to issue certificates.

If a Quaker defied a judges order to issue firearm licenses due his commitment to pacifism, would you support that decision?

No but carry permits are denied daily and not for religious beliefs.

She didn't violate anyone's rights since she refused to issue any licenses. I wonder how many couples took the 20 min drive to the next county?

Right...so fines and being fired isn't good enough. And if said Quaker refused to issue a firearms license, I'm positive I wouldn't support jail time for the offense. Fines, firing, that sort of thing.

And do you mind showing me where she wishes death on homosexuals like Westboro please?

I'll hang up and listen to your over the top outrage.

There is a difference in violating a law vs not enforcing a law. Several states have decided to stop enforcing federal drug laws by legalizing marijuana. Are they violating federal law, or just choosing not to enforce it?

This is an important distinction. I think there would be much more uproar if Bernie and Hillary supported the active defiance of a judicial order versus the support of a law that's not being enforced.

Reactions: 3 people
She is asking that the State remove her name from the licenses, and if that occurs she says she will not prevent other clerks from issuing them to same sex couples as an "accommodation" to her.

Initially, I thought that this might be a good idea, but after having mulled it over, it is clear to me that no compromise should be reached. She is not entitled to an accommodation so as to violate a clear directive from the US Supreme Court. If that is allowed, then what accommodation is next?

No. She must resign or go back to jail.

While I think she should resign she could simply not stand in the way of her clerks and not go to jail.

Right...so fines and being fired isn't good enough. And if said Quaker refused to issue a firearms license, I'm positive I wouldn't support jail time for the offense. Fines, firing, that sort of thing.

And do you mind showing me where she wishes death on homosexuals like Westboro please?

She cant be fired. She is an elected official and the state is out of session for several more months.

Reactions: 3 people
So they are releasing her on the condition that she doesn't interfere with her clerks handing out licenses. Who hires and fires her clerks? so if a clerk does issue one while she is there, does she fire that clerk?

This is an important distinction. I think there would be much more uproar if Bernie and Hillary supported the active defiance of a judicial order versus the support of a law that's not being enforced.

In some cases sanctuary city laws are not simply a matter of lack of enforcement since they are new laws within the municipality that would not stand the test of Constitutionality if taken to court. The fact that the Feds haven't pressed them the way they did in Arizona makes no difference in the legality and Constitutionality.

I haven't seen Huck/Cruz/Jindahls actual positions. Are they encouraging her to not issue the licenses or suggesting she has the right not to. If the latter, they are arguing a position but not advocating actual violation of the ruling and are not suggesting others should break the law.

Bottomline, I think there's a lot more going on here than concern over the sanctity of the rule of law.

She cant be fired. She is an elected official and the state is out of session for several more months.

Ah, my bad.

So I to assume there are no marriage licenses being issued in that particular part of Kentucky since she's in jail?

She can't be fired. You know this and fines are inconsequential to someone who couldn't or wouldn't pay them.

She has choices, she made choices - not being in jail is an option for her.

I never stated she wished death on anyone, calm down. She and Westboro share both a common sense of fashion and belief, this can't be denied.

Outrage? Please. I don't give a rip if this bible thumping hick rots in jail. My outrage has more to do with potential presidents condoning the active defiance of judicial orders and the Constitution.

Reactions: 5 people

This is what I'm getting at - there is more here than sanctity of law issues. It's disdain for her and her beliefs that must be PUNISHED!!!!

I swear I've seen more outrage about this woman than other more significant bad behavior.

She's wrong. She shouldn't be in that job if she won't uphold the law. Contempt of court is appropriate.

I just don't get the pitchforks and torches of the mob that must see her pay.

She can't be fired. You know this and fines are inconsequential to someone who couldn't or wouldn't pay them.

She has choices, she made choices - not being in jail is an option for her.

I never stated she wished death on anyone, calm down. She and Westboro share both a common sense of fashion and belief, this can't be denied.

Outrage? Please. I don't give a rip if this bible thumping hick rots in jail. My outrage has more to do with potential presidents condoning the active defiance of judicial orders and the Constitution.

How do you know fines wouldn't be sufficient?

Why can't she be barred from work but not jailed? Or on probation, or house arrest? Why no option for bail? Is she a flight risk?

That is your outrage? I think it's over the top.

In some cases sanctuary city laws are not simply a matter of lack of enforcement since they are new laws within the municipality that would not stand the test of Constitutionality if taken to court.

Lots of things were going on firearm related that stood pat 'til the Heller case.

How do you know fines wouldn't be sufficient?

Why can't she be barred from work but not jailed? Or on probation, or house arrest? Why no option for bail? Is she a flight risk?

The judge said fines wont matter because of the numerous special interest groups willing to pay the fine for her, so the only way the judicial system has any tool to inforce its ruling is to jail her.

Reactions: 4 people

rossgellaaaaaa.gif

Reactions: 1 person
This is what I'm getting at - there is more here than sanctity of law issues. It's disdain for her and her beliefs that must be PUNISHED!!!!

I swear I've seen more outrage about this woman than other more significant bad behavior.

She's wrong. She shouldn't be in that job if she won't uphold the law. Contempt of court is appropriate.

I just don't get the pitchforks and torches of the mob that must see her pay.

Welcome to 2015. "We just want to be left alone" was so 2008

VN Store

Back