Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I will support her fully, but today, I am saddened immensely about what this hire says about the state of our program.
I mean, I kind of understand it. If you're firmly entrenched at a P5 school and having success, that's a big risk to take. Expectations are high. I can see bigger names avoiding that to continue the success they're having where they are.

I am surprised. And disappointed. This is not a good look as far as perception; it looks like the Lady Vols can not get a named coach. I have no idea as to actuality. Can only hope White knows what he is doing.

Maybe in four years, White will look like a genius; maybe he will look like an idiot. Just have to wait and see.

I only know two things:
1) We need to get top line players in here NOW,
2) Perception is 9/10 of reality.

Whichever and whatever, Go Lady Vols

Don't be silly. You know damn well Uconn wouldn't go hire her if they were replacing Geno this year.
Staley rushes to the front of the line to follow him? Now who’s being “silly”. It’ll be an assistant or budding mid-major. See Louisiana Tech or Old Dominion. Everybody has a preconceived plan until it has to sink or swim.

My newsfeed linked a WV newspaper Metro News that is legit reporting that Caldwell has resigned at Marshall and has accepted the UT job. Apparently this is legit. A couple of UT themed web services are also running with this story. I wish her well. I suppose it is fair to say DW got practice hiring a bb coach before next year when I think Barnes retires after his upcoming
sr class has finished up at UT.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
People don't understand that. And it's not just women's basketball. It's every other sport that's not football, regardless of gender. Doug Dickey's entire tenure as AD was all about football. I mean, the man hired Wade Houston and survived. Not saying it's right or wrong, but football is the bell cow. As long as it's succeeding, DW is safe.

Yes, we get that football is king. But you forget the PR value that our women's basketball program brought to UT for a long time. It would be hard to overstate it. The men's team had floundered for years. The women's team won 8 national titles and Pat Summitt was one of the most recognized and admired coaches in the country. So we're not talking East Carolina or Mississippi State women's basketball here. It's a program with a massive pedigree and massive relationship to the growth of women's sports in general. And you'll notice that women's sports have grown tremendously at every level over the last 20 years--and women's basketball has a much higher profile than even a decade ago. Did you catch the ratings for the Iowa vs. LSU game? It was big. People pay attention to it.

So this notion that it's all about football and nobody cares about women's sports or women's basketball is completely off the mark.

People don't understand that. And it's not just women's basketball. It's every other sport that's not football, regardless of gender. Doug Dickey's entire tenure as AD was all about football. I mean, the man hired Wade Houston and survived. Not saying it's right or wrong, but football is the bell cow. As long as it's succeeding, DW is safe.
So we have gone from White is a can’t fail genius who demands every sport be great to he can survive so long as football is okay. Times change fast.

What part of her 87% winning percentage do you nay-sayers not understand? Please forgive the comparison, but I can’t help but think of Nate Oats’ Buffalo to Bama move.

I love how she coaches and her winning ability. If you’re a winner, you’re a winner.

It’s just a huge job and a huge step up from anything she’s been even close to. Some reservations are warranted.

My newsfeed linked a WV newspaper Metro News that is legit reporting that Caldwell has resigned at Marshall and has accepted the UT job. Apparently this is legit. A couple of UT themed web services are also running with this story. I wish her well. I suppose it is fair to say DW got practice hiring a bb coach before next year when I think Barnes retires after his upcoming

It’s been posted by the official Lady Vol account. It’s a done deal.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I was not one of them. I believe had TN beaten SC we would not be here. However, a combination of Kellie indicating in a couple posts game pressure that she does not like change and the failure in the last 1.1 seconds in the SC game to have anyone to defend the inbound pass doomed her fate. I hope Kellie all the best. I believe she will be successful in her next coaching position. Just think, Kellie could be the only coach to lead five different school to the NCAAT. GBO.
Gosh, since you put if that way I guess I am happy we lost to SC.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

White is already scanning Division II MEN'S coaching records--getting a head start for when Barnes retires.

He’s done it multiple times with multiple programs. Bama loves his instincts.

VN Store

Back