Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Also worth noting Danny White's track record of hitting big on unknown or "underwhelming" candidates.
- Bobby Hurley was an assistant on his brother's staff at Rhode Island.
- Nate Oats was a high school MBB coach before being hired to Hurley's staff, then White promoted him to head coach.
- Lance Leipold was the head coach at UW-Whitewater where he'd won 6 D3 national titles, but nobody from D2 or D1 had really been interested.
- Scott Frost held various positions on staff at Oregon during their peak in college football.
- Heupel was the offensive coordinator at Mizzou, putting up impressive stats, when he hired him at UCF.

Folks are itching for a big name and this program deserves it but I wouldn't be shocked if he plucks a highly successful young coach from the lower ranks.
These coaches weren’t held to the same standards Kellie is or the LVs have…

That’s why there is discussion on her firing for an unknown… there’s many things the new coach must do to hold up that tradition then make it better

Young up and comer isn’t y u fire Kellie we might as well have begged Kara if that’s the case

To my point.. what makes this a bad job?

Already top 3 in a P5, and admin willing to pay, NIL that is getting better, on par or slightly above facilities, top 10 fan attendance, good recruiting geography…

Makes u wonder what the negative could be… I have answers y’all don’t wanna hear

Why is your automatic assumption that Tennessee wanted to interview her?

@volman128 tried to tell y’all that if this IS indeed true, it’s because Holly and Kellie ran the program into the ground.

There’s also more parity in the game.

Still hoping Danny gets it right.
It’s not in the ground tho my lord… 😵‍💫 I can only imagine what u think of other programs…

Reactions: Lucy
Exactly…

But many names keep falling off the board. The board isn’t empty but these “DW is god” apologist are annoying

I still have faith. But there’s nuance and discussion as to why our perception is so bad.

there are correct and incorrect hires but we will see
I’m just hoping it is one of those things that nobody really knows who is being considered. We had people on here close to the program that were blindsided when Kellie was let go, so I’m hoping it’s the case that nobody really knows. We had people saying Kara was a backup option, and she hasn’t even been interviewed apparently.

I’m just hoping it is one of those things that nobody really knows who is being considered. We had people on here close to the program that were blindsided when Kellie was let go, so I’m hoping it’s the case that nobody really knows. We had people saying Kara was a backup option, and she hasn’t even been interviewed apparently.
Me too I don’t think all the fish have been leaked or speculated on.

Reactions: spojo13
No I’m a realist providing insight into why people may be scared to take this job and what it means if we end up with a lateral or sub par coach.

U probably wanted miller
Why would we want someone who is “scared to take this job” in the first place? Fairly sure whoever they hire will be sub par by your estimation.

What are those answers?
What question? That it's a bad job?

I don't think it is a bad job, I think the perception is that you're following the legacy of one of the greatest coaches of all time. And we've narrowed our focus too much in past searches.

This is his second major hire. Folks that don't have concern seem to forget that the other three most successful coaches, Barnes, Vitello and Weakley were already here. He did not hire them.

And many were originally underwhelmed with CJH though he has turned out to be a good hire.

This hire is as big as the one he had to make for football, maybe even bigger considering the history with the Lady Vols.

Edited to add and this one is not where the house is burning down - Harper had decent success so the hire needs to be able to restore the Lady Vols to the Pat Summitt days.
He retained them.

Reactions: SoilVol
So what happens when we hire Stephens?
In my household we will fight lol. We both thought Kellie wasn’t the second coming of Pat, but we also thought you only fired her with someone better in the wings. I will argue that hiring someone like Stephens is indicative that more proven coaches didn’t want to come here and that image tarnishes our brand further. My partner will argue that Danny has a habit (if you ignore soccer) of hiring up and comers, and that Stephens wins. I’ll ask what she’s won of consequence. My partner will reply with her conference. I’ll laugh. If I’m really irritated with the blind trust in Danny White, I’ll bring up the lower standards we give to attractive people. We both will be unhappy, but time will pass, and ultimately I’ll return to my true hobby which is bemoaning Joe Kirt’s decision-making. It could be worse, I guess!

In my household we will fight lol. We both thought Kellie wasn’t the second coming of Pat, but we also thought you only fired her with someone better in the wings. I will argue that hiring someone like Stephens is indicative that more proven coaches didn’t want to come here and that image tarnishes our brand further. My partner will argue that Danny has a habit (if you ignore soccer) of hiring up and comers, and that Stephens wins. I’ll ask what she’s won of consequence. My partner will reply with her conference. I’ll laugh. If I’m really irritated with the blind trust in Danny White, I’ll bring up the lower standards we give to attractive people. We both will be unhappy, but time will pass, and ultimately I’ll return to my true hobby which is bemoaning Joe Kirt’s decision-making. It could be worse, I guess!
Exactly 😌

Kentucky is a program that was run into the ground and now has a coach that was recently in the Final Four. I don’t see any way that our program was worse off than KY

That's another thing. UK got a great coach and we are probably going to wind up with a mid major coach and be back here again in a few years.

At Buffalo, Danny White hired Felisha Legette-Jack. She coached Buffalo 2012-2022. 202-116 (.635) record, with a S16 appearance in 2018, before getting hired at her alma mater, Syracuse. She was the 2024 ACC COY.

White has a history of hiring coaches that excelled as players. Heupel and Frost won national titles. Legette-Jack was a star for Syracuse. Dawkins was NPOY. Hurley won 2 national titles. White has said he prefers hiring point guards, catchers and quarterbacks.

White also takes his time (btw there's a great Athletic article about him that I'm pulling this info from. Not trying to pass it off as my own. You're getting cliff-notes). It was a month after White interviewed Leipold before he hired him. During that time he had Leipold draft him up a staff and a reason behind it, and a plan for the roster essentially. He did the same for Oats.

White doesn't care about how the public perceives the hire near as much as if he believes the hire can win Day 1. There's no "Year 0". I would not for a second think White doesn't know or care about the Lady Vols' NCAA tournament record and expectations.

No one knows who was on the board, yet alone knows who is off the board.

This 1000%. It is comical how every couple hours people are giving updates that the AD and his team likely haven’t even given serious consideration to. I mean like who says this is going to be a nationwide search and then goes to make a former player from the program their primary target after relieving another former player in the same week? Then offer to give them a huge pay raise despite this particular coach having an average at best track record.

Where did I say that. Answer my question or be gone troll and you’re 3rd grade level reading comprehension
Oh dear lord. First—let's figure out your vs. you're, especially if YOU'RE gonna come at me talking about reading comprehension. :)

The very, very obvious implication from the author of that tweet was that Kara didn't want the job at Tennessee because it "ain't what it used to be." Don't play dumb. You were latching onto it because it plays into the doom and gloom narrative that you've been trying to spin in an effort to show that letting Kellie go was the worst decision in the history of mankind.

I think it's more likely that Danny knows hiring Kara would be perceived by most as 1) going back to the Lady Vol well and 2) a lateral move at best. You don't let Kellie go to pursue someone like Kara.

I’m a patient person and really want DW to take his time and get this hire right.
BUT, I can hardly wait to see the Mafia Meltdown when it’s announced. I’m heading to Food City for a box or 12 of popcorn. This will be so much fun. 😁😁😁

Oh dear lord. First—let's figure out your vs. you're, especially if YOU'RE gonna come at me talking about reading comprehension. :)

The very, very obvious implication from the author of that tweet was that Kara didn't want the job at Tennessee because it "ain't what it used to be." Don't play dumb. You were latching onto it because it plays into the doom and gloom narrative that you've been trying to spin in an effort to show that letting Kellie go was the worst decision in the history of mankind.

I think it's more likely that Danny knows hiring Kara would be perceived by most as 1) going back to the Lady Vol well and 2) a lateral move at best. You don't let Kellie go to pursue someone like Kara.
Ur*

VN Store

Back