Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Just to send everyone into a seizure, if we miss on the candidate DW is trying to get, don’t rule out a former LV. Her supporters are definitely putting on the heat.
Why hasn't he gotten a commitment from that coach yet? That coach is certainly not one that is currently in the final four. The longer this goes the more concerned I get about the future results.

That’s definitely not my source.

Even worse then, because it would give legitimacy to multiple folks (in the know) hearing that Kara was in contention. I don’t know who to believe anymore. A few days ago folks were certain Kara “had burned the UT bridges” and that “the Lady Vol mafia” was dead. Now they’ve both risen from the ashes?

Since Lucy was dovetailing on my post, let me clarify that I certainly do not want the search to be a failure. Quite the contrary.

However I, like Lucy, have been sparring (in good fun) with those who have proclaimed that Tennessee is the most desirable job in WCBB and that White had a big fish on the hook waiting to take the LV program back to the promise land.

Now, it is possible that White and the UTAD are keeping it all close to the vest and they will soon announce the earth shaking, game changing, hire. If so, I will be the first to say "well-played."

If we get a Molly Miller type, I will be "all in" for the new coach but you will never convince me that such a move is the outcome of a grand vision, years in the making, executed to perfection.
If the NIL money is going to change like the rumors say it is. It could be anyone Miller etc and they could be successful. Some of the elite players will take money to come here no matter who the coach is. It is all about players more than the coach just has to be a coach that can get the players. I mean most coaches can teach a player how to box out and set a screen or run a play they draw up. The difference comes in with the talent on the floor. You have to look no further than Dawn, Geno, Kim, even Pat or any other coaches first years to understand that is where success comes.

I just wish they had this same energy five years ago when it was clear Fulmer was hiring a mid-major coach. It lets me know the degree to which many fans glossed over Kellie’s overall body of work simply bc she was a LV alum. If not for her S16 run at Mo St, it would not have made any sense to hire her.

I don’t remember anyone saying, “if we’re gonna go the mid-major route, we should’ve kept Holly.”
No question that the S16 run with Missouri State was crucial. Without that, the NCST flop would have made her a non-starter.

But, I believe Fulmer when he said that Kellie changed the game by knocking her interview out of the park. She looked, in terms of demeanor not her attractiveness, and acted the part. I had incredible optimism when she took the job and she started well under the circumstances. In her 2nd season, she had the LVs ranked # 3 midseason before injuries undid everything.

And let's not forget that the program was imploding during Holly's last season. Kellie was the "so close but no cigar" coach bit not the conductor of a train wreck.

Last edited:
Why hasn't he gotten a commitment from that coach yet? That coach is certainly not one that is currently in the final four. The longer this goes the more concerned I get about the future results.

If it’s Jeff Walz he best not be playing games. Multiple people said he legitimately wanted this job years ago and we didn’t even give him consideration. Well, if we’re offering now… best take it while you can. These opportunities rarely come around twice in one’s lifetime. I can see TN being his dream job, and I think he’d be a grand slam hire (on paper).

No question that the S16 run with Missouri State was crucial. Without that, the NCST flop would have made her a non-starter.

But, I believe Fulmer when he said that Kellie changed the game by knocking her interview out of the park. She looked, in terms of demeanor not her attractiveness, and acted the part. I had incredible optimism when she took the job and she started well under the circumstances. In her 2nd season, she had the LVs ranked # 3 midseason before injuried undid everything.

And let's not forget that Holly was fired with cause -- meaning no buyout and evidence of sheer incompetence. Kellie was the "so close but no cigar" coach bit not the conductor of a train wreck.
Holly was a coaching genius to some degree with Pat's players those first three seasons. As the years progressed and the roster got a weaker and weaker she started losing more and more. Plus she totally lost the culture of that program in those last two seasons.

Holly was not fired for cause...

Tennessee discloses buyout owed to Holly Warlick in termination letter

And let's not forget that Holly was fired with cause -- meaning no buyout and evidence of sheer incompetence. Kellie was the "so close but no cigar" coach bit not the conductor of a train wreck.

Reactions: Volstylexx
Who should Lady Vols hire? Here are 6 swing big options plus a fall back plan
YouTube video Knoxville news sentinel John Adams Cora Hall Blake Toppmeyer

Notre Dame coach
Louisville coach
Think Bread the other picture in YouTube video title
Going back to watch some of it now.
Posted title and what reports in video if any want to watch
Cora Hall Home runs hiires Neil Ivy Breada fall back Jara Payne
Cora on USC coach doesn't think Jaja Watkins would come or her recuits from the west coast. Said coach wouldn't come without JW did not think she leave Jaju Watkins
Cora Neil Ivy got to ask her not sure she leave ND

Same. Can those that said Kara would never coach here because she burned bridges give us some insight into what’s going on?

That’s one thing I actually thought you were right about.

That has been Jeff Walz vocal criticism of UL this season - lack of NIL support. Imagine his coaching record with NIL backing.

That has been Jeff Walz vocal criticism of UL this season - lack of NIL support. Imagine his coaching record with NIL backing.
I’m being told her sucks by many here. No statistical or bball based evidence to back it up other than MTSU beating them this season (which erases those final 4’s I guess ) but man, do some people here hate that guy.

If the NIL money is going to change like the rumors say it is. It could be anyone Miller etc and they could be successful. Some of the elite players will take money to come here no matter who the coach is. It is all about players more than the coach just has to be a coach that can get the players. I mean most coaches can teach a player how to box out and set a screen or run a play they draw up. The difference comes in with the talent on the floor. You have to look no further than Dawn, Geno, Kim, even Pat or any other coaches first years to understand that is where success comes.
Something I’ve been saying forever, it’s all about the talent u get.

In what universe is hiring any of these coaches that are said to be the leading candidates... providing NIL that boosters are now reportedly willing to sign off on for the new staff recruitment as additional resources… with the reputation of any of these candidates being named at Tennessee nobody in mainstream sports and on social media outside of the fanatics crew will be taking the Tennessee fans serious that complain. You will just be making yourself look crazy. If any of these coaches I’ve seen named today Kara, Jeff, or Brenda were named Tennessee new head coach it would be consider a major win for the program by every single major sports media outlet. Labeling it a bad hire is simply not the real world view of any of these coaches that are rumored to be leading candidates. Any of them will be a home run hire!

VN Store

Back