Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I'd take her to coach here she has plenty of basketball knowledge and can relate with players. She could recruit big with the help of NIL, Just not her time right now I assume unless we see her announced by Danny White in the next few days.
I could be wrong, but I don't think a star player who's never coached will automatically recruit big. It will get her in every door, but IMO kids want two things - money and proven winners. Cool as it would be to be recruited by CP3, if Dawn, Geno, etc are also calling I'm going to love that recent championship experience more. Then there's the actual coaching and running a whole program. Just not sure.

No longer on the roster. She has already retired.

Spear, Cooper, Boyd, Puckett and Hollingshed are probably the priorities to keep, with the latter two becoming less critical if the new coach can bring some size with them.
puckett as a the 6th man would be very good. she would bring a spark off the bench. she could give u double figures any night.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a star player who's never coached will automatically recruit big. It will get her in every door, but IMO kids want two things - money and proven winners. Cool as it would be to be recruited by CP3, if Dawn, Geno, etc are also calling I'm going to love that recent championship experience more. Then there's the actual coaching and running a whole program. Just not sure.

Definitely didn't work for Sheryl Swoopes, Tina Thompson, and Lindsey Whalen just to name a few.

Everybody has to start somewhere as a coach. Probably not at Tennessee as your first job. Plus she has not shown any interest in coaching has to much going on TV and otherwise.

I’d like to keep Avery, she’s quick, can create her own shot, and shot 3s as a freshman. Injured, then didn’t get much playing time this year, behind Rickea and others with seniority.

Keep Wells, too.
I know others want the roster completely turned over, but I wouldn't run off anyone I didn't have to. Depends on who's coming with the new coach and who's available in the portal. The more of the returnees we can keep, the better start for the new team.

Head count for current roster: Puckett, Striplin, Wynn, T Darby, Jill, Boyd, Coop, Wells, Jewel, Ace, and Edie. Am I missing anyone? How many can you carry?

We have to have a true post, that's for sure. And scorers.

I'll expound. Matt and Jenna are friends of my sister and BIL. Longtime neighbors in Lexington (incidentally, I watched the 2017 football debacle in the Mitchells' skybox at Commonwealth...really nice people). According to my sister, he's cruising the possibility of coaching again and would do so if the right job offer came his way. He has the itch. She said he's received some feelers in the last week, but doesn't know who from (she didn't pry...I assume that info came from Jenna, since they speak fairly often).

So I don't know if Tennessee was one of those feelers or if UT is at all interested. But putting all that together, as well as the timing of "in the last week," I think he may be in play. They certainly don't need the money, so I'm guessing he'll be picky about which job he would accept. Tennessee would certainly fit the bill of being "the right offer," I would assume.
Why would we go after him at all. He’s out of coaching, he hasn’t won anything of note and is currently out of the recruiting loop. I think we swing a lot bigger.

I know others want the roster completely turned over, but I wouldn't run off anyone I didn't have to. Depends on who's coming with the new coach and who's available in the portal. The more of the returnees we can keep, the better start for the new team.

Head count for current roster: Puckett, Striplin, Wynn, T Darby, Jill, Boyd, Coop, Wells, Jewel, Ace, and Edie. Am I missing anyone? How many can you carry?

I'd say six and six would be more than likely with some coaches. Most don't want more than 12 thirteen players. We could keep everybody if we find post players and maybe a point guard and another top scorer.

A true post that can run the floor...

Reactions: glv98
Why would we go after him at all. He’s out of coaching, he hasn’t won anything of note and is currently out of the recruiting loop. I think we swing a lot bigger.

I would question the judgment of our leadership if they fired CKH to end up with Matthew Mitchell.

The end of his tenure was filled with constant roster turnover. They were constantly scrambling.

I think she will be good because of the recognition, if u listen to some of the elite players they say Candace is their favorite player, We just need someone that can bring in the stars.

I love the Becky hammon idea but im not sure she can recruit shes never had to . Shes a pro's coach and i dont want to accept the Nicki Collen theory how she came from the pros to Baylor's resurgence she had stints in the college game already. Becky has none .
Get some good assistants as recruiters. She just needs to be the closer. It seems as if Kellie wasn’t much of a closer. We were always on the lists but never picked.

Last edited:
I'd take her to coach here she has plenty of basketball knowledge and can relate with players. She could recruit big with the help of NIL, Just not her time right now I assume unless we see her announced by Danny White in the next few days.

I don't know that Candace would have the patience needed to coach college athletes. She might be like Cynthia Cooper and Sheryl Swoopes and know the game super well but struggle to handle it if her players aren't like her: built to give maximum effort and to expect it of others.

OR, she could someday be a fantastic coach! I honestly don't think DW would ever hire another LVFL, and even if he would, he's unlikely to ever take a chance on someone with zero coaching experience. That would be a potentially disastrous move, and he's not a stupid man. No, I think he understands the assignment. I just hope whomever he gets is someone everyone can instantly be excited about and proud of.

Me? After 45-plus years of being a fan, I know I kinda need for my Lady Vol coach to be someone I can get the "warm-fuzzies" over when I'm around them. I want the Lady Vol coach to not be a smart-a$s, or cocky, or come off as someone who'd poke fun at Southerners behind closed doors. I personally need my Lady Vol coach to be friendly, kind, dedicated and approachable.

But most of all, I need my Lady Vol coach to understand women and to demand respect, but also never treat their players with anything but respect in turn.

Easy peasy. No biggie!

Take Megan Duffy off the list. She’ll be coaching the Hokies. Has anyone mentioned Tomekia Reed of Jackson State. She’s done an outstanding job with that program.

Take Megan Duffy off the list. She’ll be coaching the Hokies. Has anyone mentioned Tomekia Reed of Jackson State. She’s done an outstanding job with that program.

No. Tomekia doesn’t deserve that pressure this early in her career. She should go somewhere that wants to win but not win too too much too too soon. Miami would be great for her imo.

Salaries will reside somewhere--either an incorporated shell entity of the school or with the conference. That's what is being worked out now.

NIL will still play a role though. It will separate top dawgs from bottom dawgs in the SEC and Big Ten.
In the big sample size of my sports crazed family there is a significant belief that NIL will kill college sports and the NCAA. Hindsight 20/20I believe we should have just done equal but generous stipends for all varsity athletes. Kids need to be able to buy clothes, eat out, pay for a date etc. but millions that only the top 20 schools can rustle up geez!!

In the big sample size of my sports crazed family there is a significant belief that NIL will kill college sports and the NCAA. Hindsight 20/20I believe we should have just done equal but generous stipends for all varsity athletes. Kids need to be able to buy clothes, eat out, pay for a date etc. but millions that only the top 20 schools can rustle up geez!!
I agree somewhat but that's the way capitalism works. It's called the Golden Rule.. Them with the gold make the rules... I too have wondered if the NIL will ruin college sports. It's turning more into semi-pro sports. BUT I also think these kids need to be paid for the sacrifices they make. The better players get paid more and the richer schools get the better players. Eventually it may even out. Not sure though.

She’s a very pro Kellie supporter on twitter. She does the podcast with Vol-log, who is also a big Kellie supporter.

Without a doubt they were not supportive of Kellie being let go.

She's easily findable on Facebook as well. You can make your own judgment about how much sway she holds as a private citizen...

No disrespect but I doubt she's on DW's roladex.

He probably had a target list. But he targeted two football coaches before hiring the guy down the hall in football. You don’t always get your first choice but I have confidence in him.
Tennessee had the NCAA stuff hanging over their heads at that time. Different situation. White had just gotten here. It was a clown show when he got here, and a coach worth much wouldn’t jump in not knowing it was stable and that the NCAA wouldn’t hamstring him with restrictions or bowl bans.

The athletic department and admin is stable now and has been for a few 3 years. Totally different circumstances now. You are right, though, he may swing and miss a time or two on a big hire, but I’d rather that than not swinging.

VN Store

Back