Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

No longer on the roster. She has already retired.

Spear, Cooper, Boyd, Puckett and Hollingshed are probably the priorities to keep, with the latter two becoming less critical if the new coach can bring some size with them.

That's why I wrote "I would have said". Although, if I'm the new coach I'd still hard sell her on returning. Here are my thoughts from a few days ago...

Hard sells to stay - Spear, Key, and Boyd
Soft sells to stay - I have Puckett, Cooper, Wells, Strickland
The rest

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
That's why I wrote "I would have said". Although, if I'm the new coach I'd still hard sell her on returning. Here are my thoughts from a few days ago...

Hard sells to stay - Spear, Key, and Boyd
Soft sells to stay - I have Puckett, Cooper, Wells, Strickland
The rest
I'd probably put Cooper in the hard sell category. She is technically the highest rated player on the roster, even if she's a bit of an unknown quantity right now

There’s a poster said it was him few days ago I’ll look at see if I can find it
He has been retired for four years after a severe concussion, without a peep of anything related to WCBB.

The world of college basketball has radically changed in those years.

Seems unlikely, very unlikely.

So schools are buying players now. Are the Coaches of each sport supposed to be knocking on business doors asking for money to buy recruits? I don’t think so. This sounds like Danny White’s responsibility, but he put donations he received into the stadium or other places, instead of the Lady Vols basketball program
One of the few rules remaining for NIL is schools can't be involved in the funding. Neither the coach or AD can be involved. There are outside collectives who do the fundraising and distributing. At UT, the men's and women's is seperate and the women's is sort of amateurishly run and not very effective with the big stuff. Of course the AD stays aware of what the collective has to offer bc the new coach will want to know. I posted an article in the Kenny Brooks thread where he explains how that worled to get him to KY.
I think that Jon was criticized because the hardcore Kellie fans couldn't bring it on themselves to hold her accountablle.
LOL finally the truth! Jon was a whipping boy. Two groups objected and it's funny bc they're so opposite. A group of woman object bc they think if the hubby is present, he's definitely overshadowing and mansplaining to the wife. The other is mostly men who can't stomach Mommy being the boss and Daddy being the underling. Both use nepotism, which certainly has built in drawbacks, to justify. I always thought if the obvious nepotism is ok with the institution, it's ok w me. This was a non issue blown up wildly.

Also, we're swimming against the modern tide on this. Lots of family combos, hubby/wife, father/child etc across college bb coaching.

That would be weird imo. He was great at UK, but his health issues forced him out for a few seasons and I’d have reservations about someone who has been out of it a few years. Maybe he knew this was coming and he passed on UK, or maybe UK passed on him. IDK. He’s a great coach, but that would be an odd hire, imo.
I'll expound. Matt and Jenna are friends of my sister and BIL. Longtime neighbors in Lexington (incidentally, I watched the 2017 football debacle in the Mitchells' skybox at Commonwealth...really nice people). According to my sister, he's cruising the possibility of coaching again and would do so if the right job offer came his way. He has the itch. She said he's received some feelers in the last week, but doesn't know who from (she didn't pry...I assume that info came from Jenna, since they speak fairly often).

So I don't know if Tennessee was one of those feelers or if UT is at all interested. But putting all that together, as well as the timing of "in the last week," I think he may be in play. They certainly don't need the money, so I'm guessing he'll be picky about which job he would accept. Tennessee would certainly fit the bill of being "the right offer," I would assume.

X/O knowledge is the best-- you can do more with less. As LSU had Angel, UCONN had Paige, Iowa has Caitin, we had Rickea. We should have had better results, IMO. When she wasn't there, they looked terrible.
Only answer

If not, go to the local JUCO and offer 100K and a lifetime paid membership to planet fitness to the head coach.

I'll expound. Matt and Jenna are friends of my sister and BIL. Longtime neighbors in Lexington (incidentally, I watched the 2017 football debacle in the Mitchells' skybox at Commonwealth...really nice people). According to my sister, he's cruising the possibility of coaching again and would do so if the right job offer came his way. He has the itch. She said he's received some feelers in the last week, but doesn't know who from (she didn't pry...I assume that info came from Jenna, since they speak fairly often).

So I don't know if Tennessee was one of those feelers or if UT is at all interested. But putting all that together, as well as the timing of "in the last week," I think he may be in play. They certainly don't need the money, so I'm guessing he'll be picky about which job he would accept. Tennessee would certainly fit the bill of being "the right offer," I would assume.
Thanks. As I said, he’s a great coach and has had a great reputation, I’d just be surprised. I may be wrong. I wouldn’t be shocked if UT has talked to him, but I’d be surprised just due to the years off. I am, however, thrilled that he is healthy again.

The priors on Cooper and Boyd are really good so maybe let's not kick them to the curb so quickly.

Even if Jewell works on her game this off season, she has never done well in 5 vs. 1 matchups. She will need some teammates.
This is the worst and lowest discourse here 🤮

The line I cant.

Reactions: brittannica
The bar was set way too high for Kellie and Hollie to overcome. For Hollie it was too close to Pat's time and for Kellie she was expected to do better than Hollie (you could argue "yes" and "no" about whether she did) and that still seemed too close to Pat because she played for Pat and won national championships for Pat. I would hope that the next coach would be given a chance to make the program his or hers and not a Pat Summitt program. That's never going to happen. Pat was one of a kind and to put someone under that microscope is unfair. Tennessee has the fan base and the recourses now they just need to find the right person. I am sad that Kellie didn't work out. You could never question her love of the program, but I always wondered if she had her own vision or if she was trying to be version of Pat. That was never going to happen. Good luck in your search. Tennessee will be back no doubt about it.

Thanks. As I said, he’s a great coach and has had a great reputation, I’d just be surprised. I may be wrong. I wouldn’t be shocked if UT has talked to him, but I’d be surprised just due to the years off. I am, however, thrilled that he is healthy again.
Doesn't MM have LV ties? Wasn't he an asst or grad asst under Pat at one point?

So schools are buying players now. Are the Coaches of each sport supposed to be knocking on business doors asking for money to buy recruits? I don’t think so. This sounds like Danny White’s responsibility, but he put donations he received into the stadium or other places, instead of the Lady Vols basketball program. So, even though we had just gone to the Sweet Sixteen twice, and recruits visited and were interested, they went elsewhere, because Kellie had no money to outbid other schools. We knew of several of those players.

So now, to cover his own failure, DW says/implies that our donors did not want to support Coach Kellie, (even after 2 Sweet Sixteen finishes), and he fires her. So now, better late than never, the new Coach will have money to outbid other schools for players.

Yeah, it better be a big hire, and one that can win.

Dawn Staley and Kim Mulkey pounding pavement for their programs in this regard is precisely part of their success in that realm.

Dawn Staley and Kim Mulkey pounding pavement for their programs in this regard is precisely part of their success in that realm.
Not sure what you mean by "pound the pavement", and Kim looks like she may have experience in that, but coaches and schools can't be directly involved in NIL fundraising. As far as other publicity stuff, the LVs staff does just as much. Crowd relations was never the problem. Recruiting, winning big games, and donor confidence was.

June 14, 2022:

She was a "special assistant to the head coach" since then, not an assistant coach. Probably does stuff like break film down between games. And, as I said, Elzy stopped winning as soon as she quit being an assistant coach. Actually, I'm sort of glad for that, because if Elzy had made it to the NCAAs the past two seasons, she'd probably be in line for Tennessee. Thanks for (semi) retiring, Gail.

But as a head coach, I think she lost her mojo when she left Duke. I'd love to have her in a behind-the-scenes role.
Oh shoot. That is disappointing, but I see your point and agree.

The bar was set way too high for Kellie and Hollie to overcome. For Hollie it was too close to Pat's time and for Kellie she was expected to do better than Hollie (you could argue "yes" and "no" about whether she did) and that still seemed too close to Pat because she played for Pat and won national championships for Pat. I would hope that the next coach would be given a chance to make the program his or hers and not a Pat Summitt program. That's never going to happen. Pat was one of a kind and to put someone under that microscope is unfair. Tennessee has the fan base and the recourses now they just need to find the right person. I am sad that Kellie didn't work out. You could never question her love of the program, but I always wondered if she had her own vision or if she was trying to be version of Pat. That was never going to happen. Good luck in your search. Tennessee will be back no doubt about it.

Silly post. The program's past success and tradition should have made it EASIER for the subsequent coaches, not harder, even if women's college BB had gotten more competitive since PS's time at UT. The bar was set too high? Total nonsense. We haven't been to the Elite Eight i, what, nine or ten years? Warlick was not qualified to take over a major program--period. That was very evident. The longer she coached, the worse the program got. Harper was given 5 years to show what she could do with the program, and she didn't push the program forward--period. What, you think a school is going to give a coach a decade to prove themselves. Please. And stop with all the Pat stuff. That's past history and has nothing to do with the state of the program now.

Reactions: YankeeVol
Doesn't MM have LV ties? Wasn't he an asst or grad asst under Pat at one point?
He was a graduate assistant. In some ways, this kind of checks out, if he is healthy.

Being out of the game so long, seems like a big negative. He ain't bringing a load of transfers with him and his star has faded through inaction.

On the flipside, there aren't that many "gettable" coaches out there with his resume.

He definitely made a mark at KY.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back