Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

Wes is where Kellie has never been as a coach. It’s called the Final Four.
He FINALLY made it this year. Prior to that he's really no better.

#14 class for recruiting isn't all that impressive either.

Reactions: madtownvol
The LV Mafia has made it very clear: Men need not apply. And that’s why we’re in this mess. Fulmer caved in to the LV Mafia. Facts is facts. Phil should have told them to go pound sand. Regardless of male/female - Hire the best. This hire should be for the program.
As DeerPark (who I'd love to hear from) pointed out the other day, the so called "LV Mafia" is either enjoying their eternal reward or are still with us and well into their 90s. Their heyday was 20 years ago and they were elderly then. He also pointed out there have been complete personel changes in the athletic department about 3 times since them. They.are.not.a.factor.

That said, there is a pocket of fans who believe for the reasons madtowne laid out it should always be a woman. But I think that group is pretty small too and will not influence the decision much. If the best home run hire turns out to be a woman, great, everyone is happy. But please this time, just hire the best coach.

No doubt this is a hard one because it actually does signify a final break from anyone who played for Pat, worked for Pat, actually ever even knew Pat. I get that and it is sad. But it was going to happen over time anyway so we need to move forward in a constructive way, not dragged kicking and screaming. We can't let 'the Legacy' become a drag, that would really be unfair to Pat.

Of course Pat will always be shared and legacy will live. Go listen to JP on the podcast talk about how it was presented to her, how it sustained her while she was here, and how she'll carry it forward. The legacy is safe.

I think Kenny Brooks would have been a great choice. But we let UK snatch him up. To me I think the main targets should be (in no particular order) Cori Close, Lindsay Gottlieb, Scott Rueck, Becky Hammon and Wes Moore. I’ve heard Gail Goestenkors might be in the running.
A wise list indeed

Names I really like are... (in no order)

- Lindsay Gottlieb(USC) 294-160=65% 10+ yrs exp

- Lisa Fortier (Zags) 265-63= 81% 10 years exp

- Brenda Frese (MD) 639-191= 77% 20 yrs exp

- Lindy La Rocque(UNLV) 102-22= 82% 4 yrs exp

- Kim Stephens/Caldwell (Marshal) 217-31=87% 8 yrs exp

- Niele Ivey (ND) 89-32= 74% 4 yrs exp

- Becky Hammon(WNBA) 60-16= 79%

- Carla Berube(Princeton) 484-113= 81% 20 yrs exp

- Jennie Baranczyk (OU) 266-122=69% 13 yrs exp.

- Jeff Walz (Louisville) 464-135=78% 17 years exp
I think the coach is on this list won’t settle for a mid major coach tho

I would take JR Payne over a lot of these tho personal bias ofc

Reactions: ERvolsfan
I know, it's a very exciting time! My dad took me to watch them back when they played at Stokely and Shelley Sexton was on the team back in the 80s. I was also in the Pride of the Southland marching band and the pep band for the women's games during Pat's years in the late 80s/early 90s.

In terms of the political stuff, what may be important to some may not be to others and I would rather not get into it, honestly. But thank you for your interest!
I respect that. I'm just always looking for opportunities to get my brain out of the convenient echo chambers. And the way things are now, we all tend to access only one side of an issue, and things that are very important to one person won't even be on someone else's (or their news source's) radar.

I'm about convinced that we have been intentionally divided for a long time, because we'd probably agree on about 80% of things if we could agree on a common political language and drop all symbols for awhile. And then, what would the ______________s do? ;-)

Reactions: dazzleme
As DeerPark (who I'd love to hear from) pointed out the other day, the so called "LV Mafia" is either enjoying their eternal reward or are still with us and well into their 90s. Their heyday was 20 years ago and they were elderly then. He also pointed out there have been complete personel changes in the athletic department about 3 times since them. They.are.not.a.factor.

That said, there is a pocket of fans who believe for the reasons madtowne laid out it should always be a woman. But I think that group is pretty small too and will not influence the decision much. If the best home run hire turns out to be a woman, great, everyone is happy. But please this time, just hire the best coach.

No doubt this is a hard one because it actually does signify a final break from anyone who played for Pat, worked for Pat, actually ever even knew Pat. I get that and it is sad. But it was going to happen over time anyway so we need to move forward in a constructive way, not dragged kicking and screaming. We can't let 'the Legacy' become a drag, that would really be unfair to Pat.

Of course Pat will always be shared and legacy will live. Go listen to JP on the podcast talk about how it was presented to her, how it sustained her while she was here, and how she'll carry it forward. The legacy is safe.

I think when many think “LV Mafia” they aren’t thinking the original bunch that coined that name. Right or wrong, many see the LV Mafia as people who are stuck in the mindset of hiring former LV players. So as I told DeerPark, the groups being referred to are different but the same name is being used.

I think the coach is on this list won’t settle for a mid major coach tho

I would take JR Payne over a lot of these tho personal bias ofc
JR Payne was also born in TN. Her overall record is not that great but she has been coming on strong in the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: VolFuture
JR Payne was also born in TN. Her overall record is not that great but she has been coming on strong in the last 3 seasons.
I agree she is a what have u done for me lately coach. Also did it with little “talent” (hype) a builder and a leader

I think when many think “LV Mafia” they aren’t thinking the original bunch that coined that name. Right or wrong, many see the LV Mafia as people who are stuck in the mindset of hiring former LV players. So as I told DeerPark, the groups being referred to are different but the same name is being used.
They don't exist is what DP tried to tell us.

Of course there are fans who feel certain ways and you could consider them a group. But they don't have meetings or tshirts and more importantly, have no influence over the current administration.

There are no doubt individual donors with all kinds of different agendas political and otherwise, and they are the ones who count.

or more. Really, I don't know of anyone we could hire that would be a bigger splash. Aside from the splash, she's had the best coaching, and proven performance with the Aces. She's not going to be satisfied with mediocre performance from players. I think her coaching skills would bring out the best in our players. Hope we get to find out.
Give Dawn and Mulkey money if it takes that to get her here. By the way does anyone think she’s the one that @Stoerner Fumbles was talking about making the highest paid women’s coach before in his post

Someone asked me the other day how Tennessee went from 12,000+ in yearly attendance to to 8,000 a year in attendance for the Lady Vols. I quipped.."they died." That sounds really bad to say, but I think it's true. When I was a rabid LV fan, attending SECT games in Duluth 15 years ago, the fans were always older. With a declining fanbase, we haven't drawn the interest of a ton of "new" fans. It's a simple math equation there, and the reason why getting this hire right is going to be the pivotal moment in whether the LV brand returns to the legacy of the past, or becomes an average, regular program moving forward.

Pat would want us to hire the best coach. Man or Woman. Thats how you honor her legacy.

Because everything ultimately, must be a conspiracy. Sometimes I just want to be a contrarian and rename myself Occam and swear that everything is exactly as it appears to be at all times.
Well, just be careful and don't cut yourself. ;-)

I can only speak for myself. I'm over-educated so I've always dismissed anything conspiratorial. Back in college days, I worked summers with a roofing crew. Most came from the Sequatchie Valley and had dropped out after 9th grade. They'd tell these wild predictions of what was going to happen politically or socially, and I'd tell my college friends and we'd laugh. Called it "roofer wisdom."

Yet within 20 years, every unimaginable thing that they had predicted--had come true.

Lesson learned: people at the bottom of the economic food chain have the best radar for what's coming, because they have the least capability and fewest resources to accommodate sudden change.

As a lady at the other end of the economic spectrum, who was a big wheel on Wall St. put it, "When I left Wall St. I was amazed to learn that people thought of conspiracies as a bad thing! We spent every day conspiring! That's how things get done in the real world at that level and above."

So I figure, when the game gets into the trillions of dollars, with the computing power of AI, cooperating multinational intelligence agencies, and corporations with assets greater than all but 2-4 countries... yeah, count me with the great unwashed herd. I'm laying aside my "higher" degrees and wearing my aluminum fedora with a jaunty tilt.

Last edited:
You can check things I’ve shared over the last three years in football, recruiting or basketball forums and decide for yourself. It didn’t come from White, but it came from someone very connected who has given me 100% accurate information before. He’s swinging for a big candidate.
Stephanie White. Think of it. College experience in SEC. TN relationships. WNBA experience. Young. Woman....

VN Store

Back