Kim Caldwell (Rookie Coach of the Year-WBCA) is named Head Coach of Iconic Lady Vols WBB

I get it. You were on top of the world after guessing right on KJH getting fired (and tip of my hat to you). But you were wrong on just about every aspect of the search process and are now working through the seven stages of grief. You gotta do what gotta do to cope.

But you have been hammering of anti-Caldwell narratives, like she is the bargain bin coach because White, against your predictions did not want to spend the $. Just not cool.

Related to that your assumption is that every coach in the country wants to be at Tennessee because it is the best job in the country.

We now know the Indiana coach--who would have been a great hire--did not think so. Dawn was never leaving SC; Hammon was not going to leave the best WNBA team and the list goes on. Leaving one program where you are established, have a good thing going, and roots planted for essentially a rebuild job in East Tennessee carries a lot of risks.

As for the "brand," The LVs have not been to the final four since 2008-- that is a lot of tarnish.

To any coach at a thriving program (and there are many), the LVs job does not necessarily look like greener pastures,

But to an up and comer young coach, this job is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Very good chance that Caldwell was the best coach White could get (under the current circumstances and timeline).

It is a high risk-high reward hire so we will see. Caldwell has a great coaching reputation so the big unknown is how she can recruit when making this BIG jump.

If some of the more connected voices on this board are correct, she is walking into a much better NIL situation than Kellie so that should help. It will be interesting to see how she does in this year';s portal as a surprise hire with no track record at a Power 5 school. We will see soon enough. It appears that most of the current roster is staying put so that it is a positive.

Agree with most staying but they only have 1 year more anyway! Darby, Wynn, Striplin, Puckett, Jillian , Spears, and maybe Wells…
The only players with multiple years left is Ace with 2 years, Cooper with 3, and Boyd with 4….. And I haven’t heard for sure they are staying and then Brooks still coming? Scary times ahead ! 🤷‍♂️

Shocking. If I thought anyone would be stuck in the past, it would be MMC. Didn't recognize her at first with the long hair either.
Not meant as a dig at Maria but her job depends on good relations with the current coach. So If Kara had been hired, MMC's tweet would have been about the importance of maintaining the legacy.

It is a good story but I don't buy that either Holly or Kellie were limited by mourning Pat. Holly was doing great her first 3 seasons, winning conference titles and coach of the year honors but she could not sustain it.

Kellie in her 2nd season had the #3 team in the country going into the conference schedule (then of course came the inevitable team crippling injuries), She really never recaptured the magic of that almost season.

Last edited:
Agree with most staying but they only have 1 year more anyway! Darby, Wynn, Striplin, Puckett, Jillian , Spears, and maybe Wells…
The only players with multiple years left is Ace with 2 years, Cooper with 3, and Boyd with 4….. And I haven’t heard for sure they are staying and then Brooks still coming? Scary times ahead ! 🤷‍♂️
Agreed, the roster situation is not the best. Perhaps another reason not every coach was jumping at the job.

Caldwell, can piece together a decent squad this season if she can get 3 quality players from portal (particularly a post). Hopefully, they will also be players with 2 to 3 seasons left to play.

Then she will need a mix of solid signings from the class of 2025 and more portal help in the following season.

She is not stepping into an ideal situation, even with improved NIL resources.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Not meant as a dig at Maria but her job depends on good relations with the current coach. So If Kara had been hired, MMC's tweet would have been about the importance of maintaining the legacy.

It is a good story but I don't buy that either Holly or Kellie were limited by mourning Pat. Holly was doing great her first 3 seasons, winning conference titles and coach of the year honors but she could not sustain it.

Kellie in her 2nd season had the #3 team in the country going into the conference schedule (then of course came the inevitable team crippling injuries), She really never recaptured the magic of that almost season.
Kellie in her 2nd season with the #3 team in the country was a bit of an illusion. They still had to make a bunch of comebacks, but had to go about all of this with Rae largely unavailable. Losing Keyen Green should not have cause the team to go off the rails as much as it did. She really seemed to struggle on how to integate Horston and Burrell and neithe rof them seemed to know their role. That to me felt like the bigger issue vs. the injury to the backup center.

Agree with your point at MMC. Probably was just shocked to hear something that went against the thinking for long term fans.

I will eat a cat turd out of my litter box live on facebook for you all to watch if TN hires Marshall's coach. Danny White does not fire a former Lady Vol who went to two sweet 16's to hire a coach who's been in D1 for one year. NOT. HAPPENING. It's counter intuitive to everything we know to be true in how he sees the program.
Still waiting for you to post it to VN. Please @ me when you do.

That last paragraph made everything else u say invalid. I promise her being attractive has nothing to do with peoples worry of her. Most people have a genuine concern of if her coaching and recruiting will work for a team like tennessee. Her looks won’t make her a good coach or save her from being fired. Again tho, i have faith in DW and hope she works out. She seems like a genuine lady

I clearly stated “as a casual fan of women’s basketball“. Good looking women making just about anything more attractive to me.

Yeah, for someone who spent three posts talking about how "hot" Mark Sear's mom is, that last paragraph pretty much sums up the extent of your interest in women's sports.

Borne out by your near-complete absence from the Lady Vols forum over the past year. Have to agree with your self-description as a "casual observer."

What does Mark Sears mom have to do with women’s basketball? 🤷🏻

I’m shocked and saddened. And don’t blame Keep Kellie syndrome. Nothing to do with her, except we had every right to expect someone proven better than her. What egg on the face of the home run hire crowd. This is a popped up bunt.

I certainly didn’t realize we were in burn it down and start from scratch mode. And also build back cheaply mode. Can’t imagine how bad this makes us look nationally, especially after what KY just did. Only alternative answer is he got this far down the list bc no one else wanted it. Which also ain’t a good look.

This almost feels unfair to this poor woman. Does she know what she’s in for? Does she know what the SEC is going to look like? I’m sure she’s a perfectly nice woman and a decent coach. But we’re looking at a years long rebuild and that’s if she can recruit this level.

Bingo.

Obviously. And we’ll probably get our moneys worth.

If she doesn’t clean up in the portal, which is hard to see happening, those things will definitely happen. I don’t think people who think otherwise watch WBB very closely.

That just actually happened. Make it make sense.

That’s right and it’s awful. Because now that’s who we have, with no hope of the coach bringing better players along. Also hard to see such an unknown doing well in the portal. The roster situation is dire even if everyone come back.

We’re about to find out about unthinkable lows. IMO unless there’s a portal miracle now the rest of your prediction is nonsensical. Do you know SEC rosters at all.

God what a thought. Just when I think it can’t be worse.
You don’t know if it is a bunt or a grand slam at this point. We couldn’t keep going down the path to mediocre that is for sure. Folks didn’t think Heupel was a great hire till it was. I like everything I read about Caldwell, White is the best AD Tennessee has ever had. The only ones that don’t believe that are a portion of Lady Vol crowd that wants to hang on to the past crowd. Nearly every sport is competitive nationally except women’s basketball. Once Caldwell wins folks will jump on the wagon and most will deny they ever didn’t believe in Danny White. GBO!!!!

Agreed, the roster situation is not the best. Perhaps another reason not every coach was jumping at the job.

Caldwell, can piece together a decent squad this season if she can get 3 quality players from portal (particularly a post). Hopefully, they will also be players with 2 to 3 seasons left to play.

Then she will need a mix of solid signings from the class of 2025 and more portal help in the following season.

She is not stepping into an ideal situation, even with improved NIL resources.
And after 5 years and our roster looking like it does goes along way into why White made the change. GBO

VN Store

Back