Kim Caldwell comparisons to Heupel

Adjustments literally means working around the weaknesses of your players to find ways to exploit the other teams shortfalls.

If you have to wait a season or more the find players who can make plays necessary for your system to work, that is not making an adjustment. In fact that is the exact opposite of adjusting.

My system will be the "best" in the country. I just need one player like Candace Parker, one like Caitlin Clark, one like Birttany Griner, and one like Sabrina I. for it to work....

This first statement is what GREAT coaches are good at. Then there are coaches that have good systems, but they need specific players to make it work. If they have the right players the year turns into something special, if they don't their ability to make adjustments is the key. Then there are coaches who have GREAT players but can't win even though they do.

I think a lot of that has to do with lack of Talent when Heupel took over. Just like Kim is probaly going to struggle the first year. I do believe she will get talent to the Lady Vols.
Losing Rickea is a big deal, but I think the portal additions and KC's system will at least make up for that. Just better coaching and a firm grasp on what they're trying to do on the court should be an improvement. Maybe I'm wrong because I'm certainly no basketball expert, but last year's team's game plan seemed to be to get the ball to Rickea or just toss up a shot before the shot clock ran out. I don't see them doing any worse and I actually think they could improve. Competing with South Carolina and LSU is another deal, but I don't think next season is going to be a struggle.

Reactions: rickyyrs
I don't get how some of you take swipes at other UT programs. It's as if it brings you joy to totally ignore context in an effort to argue that another UT coach isn't doing a good job...and the aim is usually at the football and baseball programs that have been pretty successful lately and certainly programs that are improving. Hell of a way to be a "Vol fan".

Not taking swipes but being honest about past successes and failures. For football, this season will tell a lot - the magical season IMO, was all about Hooker. He was special and was surrounded by a cast of players that made it happen. We are overdue to beat UGA - would you be satisfied if we beat everyone but lost to them year after year after year. Heupel has to get over that hump and that is the game IMO he will need to concede somewhat on his style to win the game.

For basketball, CKC has to be able to beat the South Carolinas, LSU and UConn's. They will have better players. They will have enough players that the "wear them down" concept will not work. It will take great coaching and scheming to exploit their weaknesses to do so. Those three teams are just as capable in terms of running full court presses and fast-paced offense.

Can we start a thread comparing to Kim Caldwell to Adele? There is a slight resemblance though Kim says she can not sing.

And then we can get historical-- Kim Caldwell compared to Florence Nightingale who invented a new system for treating wounded soldiers during the Crimean war that greatly reduced deaths from infection.

After that we can compare Kim Caldwell to Velma Dinkley, the brainy one from Scooby Doo. Ruh roh....

Last edited:
Can we start a threat comparing to Kim Caldwell to Adele? There is a slight resemblance though Kim says she can not sing.

And then we can get historical-- Kim Caldwell compared to Florence Nightingale who invented a new system for treating wounded soldiers during the Crimean war that greatly reduced deaths from infection.

After that we can compare Kim Caldwell to Velma Dinkley, the brainy one from Scooby Doo. Ruh roh....

No,,,The obvious comparison should be Kim Mulkey,,,after all they are both named Kim

Can we start a threat comparing to Kim Caldwell to Adele? There is a slight resemblance though Kim says she can not sing.

Kim has gotten better since 21. Kim doesn't dress wounds, she inflicts them. Kim is smarter, not scatterbrained, and looks better in orange.

Not a knock on the great Adele or the blessings of medicine.

Interesting point. So, the ‘system” is a mystical entity which exists in an ethereal realm independent of coaches, players, plays, and execution? Got it.
All of this discussion is in general terms, but I think we can say some intelligent things comparing a new "philosophy or style" of play in different sports.

Just like the wing-T in its day, or the triple-option, or west coast offense, Heupel's "new" offense (or CKC's system or approach) diminishes certain defensive advantages and creates exploitable opportunities on offense.

It's the old rock-paper-scissors aspect of any good game. It creates new ways to win. Instead of competing against better teams by trying to assemble a bigger, better rock to out-smash their rock... you create paper.

Chavis had great defensive personnel going up against the Gators, but Spurrier had a system that allowed him to quickly complete passes by finding the one receiver who was defended one-on-one and delivering the ball to a location where it was either a completion or out of bounds. It negated whatever advantages we might have had at 10 other positions.

There was a time when time-of-possession determined the winner of most football games. Then the key stat was rushing yardage on first down. Then it became avg. yards per pass completion. Each "winning" stat reflected a change in the way the game was being played and defended.

So now CKC is going to see if she can make "number-of-offensive-possessions" become the new key winning stat in women's basketball.

Should be more fun to watch than the current men's basketball winning stat: "longest you can stay in the lane without a whistle."

Not taking swipes but being honest about past successes and failures. For football, this season will tell a lot - the magical season IMO, was all about Hooker. He was special and was surrounded by a cast of players that made it happen. We are overdue to beat UGA - would you be satisfied if we beat everyone but lost to them year after year after year. Heupel has to get over that hump and that is the game IMO he will need to concede somewhat on his style to win the game.

For basketball, CKC has to be able to beat the South Carolinas, LSU and UConn's. They will have better players. They will have enough players that the "wear them down" concept will not work. It will take great coaching and scheming to exploit their weaknesses to do so. Those three teams are just as capable in terms of running full court presses and fast-paced offense.

Well Hooker came here as a very average transfer, why do you think he had the season he had? And most every team not named bama is over due to beat ga.

Hate to point it out but Heupel has not been able to adjust enough against the top of the SEC. That is my worry about the new system. Works against the lesser teams but can we beat SC, Tx and LSU with it. Time will tell.
Well let’s see
Heup is:
2-1 vs SC
1-0 vs LSU

I would say so!

All of this discussion is in general terms, but I think we can say some intelligent things comparing a new "philosophy or style" of play in different sports.

Just like the wing-T in its day, or the triple-option, or west coast offense, Heupel's "new" offense (or CKC's system or approach) diminishes certain defensive advantages and creates exploitable opportunities on offense.

It's the old rock-paper-scissors aspect of any good game. It creates new ways to win. Instead of competing against better teams by trying to assemble a bigger, better rock to out-smash their rock... you create paper.

Chavis had great defensive personnel going up against the Gators, but Spurrier had a system that allowed him to quickly complete passes by finding the one receiver who was defended one-on-one and delivering the ball to a location where it was either a completion or out of bounds. It negated whatever advantages we might have had at 10 other positions.

There was a time when time-of-possession determined the winner of most football games. Then the key stat was rushing yardage on first down. Then it became avg. yards per pass completion. Each "winning" stat reflected a change in the way the game was being played and defended.

So now CKC is going to see if she can make "number-of-offensive-possessions" become the new key winning stat in women's basketball.

Should be more fun to watch than the current men's basketball winning stat: "longest you can stay in the lane without a whistle."
You make a lot of good points but let's focus just on the basketball side.

"Number of offensive possessions" is already an important metric but it is captured through stats like rebound and turnover differentials.

Playing at a faster tempo and spreading the floor with 3 point shooters is how the game has evolved but a faster pace does not guarantee more possessions.

Example, if my teams scores at 5 seconds or 20 seconds on the shot clock, the opponent still takes the ball out of bounds for their possession turn; That remains a 1 to 1 possession ratio. If I score more baskets quickly, they get their possession turn faster and everyone has more possessions. Tempo does not change the basic rules of the game

If my team misses a shot at 5 seconds or 20 seconds on the shot clock and my opponent gets the rebound - that is still a 1 to 1 possession ratio.

The only factors that tip possessions in my team's favor is whether they get the rebound or force a turnover (not how quickly we get shots up).

My point is that CKC's "system" is not that radically different from that deployed by many other teams and, at the end of the day, its success will still depend in large part on defense (forcing TOs), rebounding, and converting possessions into points. Even with more possessions, a team will still need to shoot a decent % from the field and FT to make those possessions literally count.

The Achilles heel of the LVs over the last two season really has not been scoring, even if the offensive scheme left something to be desired. It has been defense. Too often, opposing guards had their game of the season (or even careers) against the LVs. It happened too often to just be bad luck.

So, CKC has brought in two portal players who can defend on the wings and I suspect she will better utilize players like Wynn and Hollingshead on the defensive side.

Last edited:
IIRC, the '91-92 Tulane "posse" collected +8 per game. I'm guessing at least +12 for us. It's not just that we're pressing the ball defensively. It's also that we'll be limiting our own turnovers by putting up shots before the defense has transitioned, rather than settling into our own half-court offense.

I expect eventually some team which has the roster for it will come at us with three 6'2" or taller players, attempting to overhand pass their way up the court and into some kind of double-post half-court offense.

But, like football coaches going up against Heupel's offense, it's going to force teams to devote multiple practices to preparing for something they'll not see or use against any other team. And we should expect to hear, if successful, accusations of "gimmick basketball." It's the pioneers who take all the arrows.

Should be fun, if we fans have the patience to let the players and coaches work out all the kinks and get it fully implemented. And I think our girls--especially those returning--are going to have so much fun being the aggressors!

Lady Volunteers score 100 points on a few SEC squads.

Getting beat so bad in the 1st round of the ncaa against VA. Tech concerns me.
I wouldn’t worry too much about it…. Her roster was a below average sunbelt team…. She only had three girls that was 6’0 or taller…. two at 6’0” and one at 6’1”…. three of her top players were 5’4”, 5’5”, and 5’6”. It will be interesting to see what she can do with this roster.

VN Store

Back