Kills me to say this but it's the sad truth...

You will get bashed because it is stupid. Almost every team has games that can go either way. Are we supposed to apologize for winning them now? We could also be 6-1 using your logic or you could say that we started with 7 bowl eligible teams, what other team can say that?

You could also say Bama is a couple of steps above everyone else.

GO VOLS!!!

Reactions: 1 person
We could very VERY easily be sitting at 3-4 just like we were last year. If App State kicker didn't completely suck and miss that field goal and PAT which probably would have sealed it, if Jauan Jennings doesn't catch that Hail Mary... our season is looking a lot different. We would not be in contention for even the SEC east let alone getting a playoff spot. Listen I love Butch and I think he should have a spot somehwhere in our program but I'm starting to worry if he's the guy who will bring us SEC/National titles. Obviously injuries is a big factor in why we lost the Alabama game but there's been no excuse other than poor coaching for us to come out every game and be down 20+ points. I'll probably get bashed for this but it's just how I feel the reality of our season has been. Go Vols! Let's win these next 5 games!!

You are exactly right. App State should have bet us and that is before the injury bug.

Or you know, maybe we could just be happy that we actually won those games regardless how we won it. The scoreboard is what counts, not the other teams mistakes.

That's true. And I agree with Jones on "not apologizing for a win". Its infinitely better to beat Appy St, UF, and UGA.

Having said that you can take a lot away from how the game was played and play that back in later games to see why you are where you are. Some of those same issues that dont get fixed in a game 4 win result in a game 6 loss.

We could very VERY easily be sitting at 3-4 just like we were last year. If App State kicker didn't completely suck and miss that field goal and PAT which probably would have sealed it, if Jauan Jennings doesn't catch that Hail Mary... our season is looking a lot different. We would not be in contention for even the SEC east let alone getting a playoff spot. Listen I love Butch and I think he should have a spot somehwhere in our program but I'm starting to worry if he's the guy who will bring us SEC/National titles. Obviously injuries is a big factor in why we lost the Alabama game but there's been no excuse other than poor coaching for us to come out every game and be down 20+ points. I'll probably get bashed for this but it's just how I feel the reality of our season has been. Go Vols! Let's win these next 5 games!!

3 offensive lineman out.... 4 stars on D out ....Backups out 3rd and 4th stringers playing.. and It all came to a head against Bama I hope we are healed up in the rematch.

Oh, they'll win 10 and go to Atlanta.

The rest of the schedule is cake.

My question was about the long term.

I don't know the roster as well as you all. Is there another Barnett coming? Is there another Hurd and Kamara? Malone? Etc. I don't know.

But, obviously we all know what we are chasing. We are all asking ourselves if the people in charge of getting our programs to reach that level can do just that.

I feel more confident in saying that we are still chasing that level from a distance. I still question how well this staff develops and schemes toward what they have. My opinion this is Jones high water mark.

Reactions: 4 people

We've found ways to win and we shouldn't apologize for them. How lucky was bama during kiffin's tenure at UT? That was a national championship team that managed to block 2 field goals and get lucky that our kicker missed 2. Right now we have so many injuries, there's no way we were competing with that team yesterday. People can spout next man up quotes all you want but I guarantee that if I told anyone that we'd have 4/5 starters from the o-line last week gone, that 3 of the guys were freshmen, and that we'd have like 8 guys on def injured, no one would believe we'd compete. Expecting 2nd and 3rd string guys to compete with the number 1 team in the nation is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 people
Better hope some of our injuries heal up fast or we can lose to Vandy and/or Ky. again. Vandy is getting better, ask Chubb!

I also find it funny that when Tennessee finds a way to win, we're lucky. But when another powerhouse school like Clemson, Houston, Michigan, whoever, it's just because they're good. Funny how that works. Lol

I also find it funny that when Tennessee finds a way to win, we're lucky. But when another powerhouse school like Clemson, Houston, Michigan, whoever, it's just because they're good. Funny how that works. Lol

Besides a couple of posters, No one has said that

Preach brother.

Clemson won yesterday because NC State missed FG. They are so lucky. They should fire Dabo. He will never bring them a NC

Things have a way of evening out and right now I think the record is where it should be.

The disappointing thing is a lot of people thought this team could contend for a title and based on yesterday, they aren't close.

So, the only "big" questions to ask would be....."is this as good as it gets or can Butch take it up another level". Can they replace the personnel they are going to lose with equal or better personnel?

I completely agree with you but think we could have been a one loss team if we had held onto the ball at aTm.

From a talent perspective I think we win out and the recruiting continues to improve so our talent improves. The number one question we have next year is at QB and if the passing game can step up. We have the talent at WR but have yet to capitalize on it.

I don't recall seeing any threads or posts about Clemson, Michigan, or Houston. Can you sticky them?

Guess we were unlucky last year when medley missed a ton of FG that would have essentially won the games we lost including Bama.

I think we were a much better team last year

Overall, we played much better football

Im at a loss for why we are so consistently horrid in the first half of games

Reactions: 2 people
Oh, they'll win 10 and go to Atlanta.

The rest of the schedule is cake.

My question was about the long term.

I don't know the roster as well as you all. Is there another Barnett coming? Is there another Hurd and Kamara? Malone? Etc. I don't know.

But, obviously we all know what we are chasing. We are all asking ourselves if the people in charge of getting our programs to reach that level can do just that.

Barnett is exceptional another coming in the immediate future, more than likely no but could be on the bench right now. Plus it is a team sport so the others around him have also contributed to his success.

Has there been another Reggie White, or a Henderson-Haynesworth duo or a set of linebackers like Reynolds, Mayo, Thompson, Wilson. There will be others.

Defense wins Championships.

I completely agree with you but think we could have been a one loss team if we had held onto the ball at aTm.

From a talent perspective I think we win out and the recruiting continues to improve so our talent improves. The number one question we have next year is at QB and if the passing game can step up. We have the talent at WR but have yet to capitalize on it.

With O-line play like ours has been (and looks like it will be), the best QB and WRs will have a bad time until the QB gets injured. Then what?

He has improved the season by 2 wins every year since being here. Let's see how this season plays out. 5-7-9-?

The season is not over with yet.

The problem with that argument is that this will be the best roster he will ever have here. Eveyone talks about the injuries but those are guys that most likely won't be here next year anway. Then you add in the losses on the O and look at the 3*'s butch is bringing in to replace them.

We will struggle to be #3 in the East next year and the following years will be worse.

I think we were a much better team last year

Overall, we played much better football

Im at a loss for why we are so consistently horrid in the first half of games
Honestly I think talent and depth wise this team is better. They just start so damn slow. You can't spot that many FBS teams double digit points and come from behind and win so much without talent.

Now spotting those leads is another issue. We have to fix that to move to the next level.

Things have a way of evening out and right now I think the record is where it should be.

The disappointing thing is a lot of people thought this team could contend for a title and based on yesterday, they aren't close.

So, the only "big" questions to ask would be....."is this as good as it gets or can Butch take it up another level". Can they replace the personnel they are going to lose with equal or better personnel?

If you buy into the star power theory, they have 2 4 star LB's in Bates and Bryant that can't even get a starting nod with the injuries at the position.

99, this is very valid. Can't believe I am agreeing with a Gator. It isn't like we do not have talent. we do, but it isn't nearly as developed as the talent of a Saban coached team. People can blame injuries, and I am sure that played a part, but if Bama has a player go down, the next guy is ready to step in, and you never notice a decline in performance.

I believe our glaring weakness is with the O-line coaching, and O game planning. The O line couldn't give Dobbs more than 1 second to throw, couldn't open up a hole that a mouse could scurry through, and couldn't fire off the ball more than three ties the entire game.

Debord couldn't adjust to Bama's blitz, refused to move the pocket, and stuck to a 2 yard or less passing attack that was getting destroyed time and time again. No adjustments. There was nothing we did that would come close to stretching the field, and challenging the defense to play honest at the line.

I do not see next year being any better if Butch ticks with the same o line coach and same o coordinator.

Reactions: 2 people
99, this is very valid. Can't believe I am agreeing with a Gator. It isn't like we do not have talent. we do, but it isn't nearly as developed as the talent of a Saban coached team. People can blame injuries, and I am sure that played a part, but if Bama has a player go down, the next guy is ready to step in, and you never notice a decline in performance.

I believe our glaring weakness is with the O-line coaching, and O game planning. The O line couldn't give Dobbs more than 1 second to throw, couldn't open up a hole that a mouse could scurry through, and couldn't fire off the ball more than three ties the entire game.

Debord couldn't adjust to Bama's blitz, refused to move the pocket, and stuck to a 2 yard or less passing attack that was getting destroyed time and time again. No adjustments. There was nothing we did that would come close to stretching the field, and challenging the defense to play honest at the line.

I do not see next year being any better if Butch ticks with the same o line coach and same o coordinator.

I wasn't making statements, I was just asking questions.

Florida honestly was not national championship good under Spurrier until his 6th year. They were good. They were capable of playing with most teams on any given day, especially at home.

But, they had a weakness here or there that the FSU's of the world could expose.

There's no crime in getting beat by Alabama, even badly.

It just has to be asked if the people in place are capable of bridging that gap.

Honestly I think talent and depth wise this team is better. They just start so damn slow. You can't spot that many FBS teams double digit points and come from behind and win so much without talent.

Now spotting those leads is another issue. We have to fix that to move to the next level.

Having a game or 2 like that early wouldnt be much of a concern. It lingering into 6 or 7 games against pretty much everyone on the schedule is troubling.

VN Store

Back