Kevin Carter talks Vols & SEC east

Finally, my chance for my very own "cool story bro".............one of my best friends I served with had a sister who dated Kevin Carter back around 2002. She was about 5ft and about 100lbs soaking wet. You're welcome

Cool story bro

I saw this on Finebaum yesterday. Not sure why I do it, but I DVR it, and listen to the audio while doing "constructive things" in the evening. Carter had some pretty good points - UF is going to have a good defense.

It's fun, this time of year, to hear the callers.
For those who don't listen (or even care - ha tell you anyway) here's a readers digest version.
1) Every team is undefeated - Freshman look great - it's going to be a banner year.
2) Kentucky and Vanderbilt at their cockiest now. One Kentucky caller said "The Sleeping Giant had been awakened".
3) OSU still rubbing it in on Bama.
4) Bama looking at OSU's schedule and laughing. One top 25 opponent the whole season.
5) Brock Huard crowing about the PAC-12 South, gonna beat each other up.
6) Coker or Barnett at QB at Bama? Doesn't matter, they will win the National Championship with either because Kiffen is a genius
7) No love for MSU. Back to a bottom feeder with Vandy.
8) Jeremy Johnson next Cam Newton at Auburn
9) VOLS still haven't beaten anybody significant
10) Spurrier is too old, but can outlast younger coaches tenure in the SEC
11) Missouri cocky and doesn't yet realize that they entered the SEC at the right time. Will be another Kentucky given time.
12) Golden fumbles a lot and isn't as good as he thinks he is. FSU will make him starter
13) Kiffen or Smart to eventually replace Saban?
14) Bama is the best team ever to play every season even if they lose, it doesn't matter
15) LSU down. All they need is a QB and they will be up.

Common thread - Everyone excited about the upcoming season. It's started.

Reactions: 1 person
Say what you want about Muschamp, but he could damn sure coach a defense. He is gone and so is Fowler. Floridas defense will not be as good this year, plus the great many offensive problems they will have and it looks very, very good for the Vols this year in the swamp. Tennessee hasn't had this much talent on its roster in almost a decade.

Reactions: 2 people
Kevin Carter is an idiot. He said "we" when referring to Florida several times, he just couldn't contain his love for the swamp lizards. He'll be brought to reality soon enough when the verdict is given. Final Score: UT 24 Florida 7

Our defense had it won last year. Our O blew every opportunity given. Should have been over at the beginning of the third.

Reactions: 2 people
Our defense had it won last year. Our O blew every opportunity given. Should have been over at the beginning of the third.

But didn't you hear his words: McElwain won't allow Florida to beat itself on offense! I'll believe THAT when I see it.

But didn't you hear his words: McElwain won't allow Florida to beat itself on offense! I'll believe THAT when I see it.

i think KC was correct in that assessment. i think you'll see CJM do a lot of the same things CBJ did his 1st year....the goal will be to keep the games as close as possible by relying on the defense and not asking the offense to do too much.

last year, we got, how many turnovers? and still lost.

i don't think you can go in to any game counting on 2-3 or more turnovers.

i expect us to come out (in most games we play) and try to dictate to the defense instead of read/react. i expect FL to be somewhat conservative offensively, and really lean on the defense to get 3 and outs, turnovers, and change field position. long story short...give the offense as many opportunities as possible, and as short a field as possible.

if you want to beat UF this year, keep their defense on the field with long drives...TOP will be a significant stat playing UF. take way their offensive opportunities and it puts more stress on the offense to HAVE to make plays.

i think KC was correct in that assessment. i think you'll see CJM do a lot of the same things CBJ did his 1st year....the goal will be to keep the games as close as possible by relying on the defense and not asking the offense to do too much.

last year, we got, how many turnovers? and still lost.

i don't think you can go in to any game counting on 2-3 or more turnovers.

i expect us to come out (in most games we play) and try to dictate to the defense instead of read/react. i expect FL to be somewhat conservative offensively, and really lean on the defense to get 3 and outs, turnovers, and change field position. long story short...give the offense as many opportunities as possible, and as short a field as possible.

if you want to beat UF this year, keep their defense on the field with long drives...TOP will be a significant stat playing UF. take way their offensive opportunities and it puts more stress on the offense to HAVE to make plays.

As always, the team that controls the ground will win the game. We have to pound the rock consistently to loosen up Florida's tough secondary and create opportunities through the air.

Say what you want about Muschamp, but he could damn sure coach a defense. He is gone and so is Fowler. Floridas defense will not be as good this year, plus the great many offensive problems they will have and it looks very, very good for the Vols this year in the swamp. Tennessee hasn't had this much talent on its roster in almost a decade.

true, but you'll never convince the usual suspects.

UF's Defense was top 15 or better his 4 years (top 10 in 3 of those). It's just to hard for some to admit there was a talent differential to overcome.

Momentum is shifting the other way now...gotta believe this is the year!

I think he's right about our defense having to beat their offense...that's where we should definitely have a decided advantage. They should still have a very good defense. If our defense can't control the game, put our offense in very good field position and perhaps even score, we're gonna have a difficult time with them IMO.
No doubt about it, their defense is the strength of the gator team this year. If we can make it a war of attrition, force their offense into a bunch of 3 and outs, where we can score or pick up first downs on offense, keeping their D on the field, we'll wear them down and win in the second half. Our defense has to win that game, they should win that game for us.

I detected no unprofessional homerism at all from this fine member of the media that referred to one particular school he was commenting on is "we".

McElwain didn't have a great defense at Colorado St. He'll have better talent at Florida, but I would still think they'll take a major step back from where they were last year. It may take them a few years for CJM to get players that fit his system. We have no business losing to Florida this year, IMO.

Edit: I'll add that last year, Worley made a big deal about Florida D having confusing schemes that would be problematic. Well, the schemes as everything else with them will be new this year. And no knock on Worley's intelligence, but Dobbs ability to read a defense and understand the schemes shouldn't be a problem either.

Last edited:
Florida will be good on defense, i have little doubt about that. different, yes. but still pretty darn good.

Florida will be good on defense, i have little doubt about that. different, yes. but still pretty darn good.

IDK. I think they take a significant step backwards with a new coaching staff. And as bad as CWM was as HC, he knew defense. Right now, I think TN will put up 30+ in that game. Sounds crazy, I know. Just remember where you heard it. :)

I think Tennessee wins cause:

1) Tennnessee damn well knows they let it get away last yr and they know they are better than Florida now (last yr wasn't sure)
2) lack of offense will expose the gator defense and they will fold late due to lack of depth, especially in DL
3) Tennessee offense will have another dimension that uf has rarely had to deal with...a QB who can run some.

IDK. I think they take a significant step backwards with a new coaching staff. And as bad as CWM was as HC, he knew defense. Right now, I think TN will put up 30+ in that game. Sounds crazy, I know. Just remember where you heard it. :)

i will, and i'll be hoping you're right for sure.

I think Tennessee wins cause:

1) Tennnessee damn well knows they let it get away last yr and they know they are better than Florida now (last yr wasn't sure)
2) lack of offense will expose the gator defense and they will fold late due to lack of depth, especially in DL
3) Tennessee offense will have another dimension that uf has rarely had to deal with...a QB who can run some.

i definitely think the intangibles are in our favor. if we aren't well prepared, focused and playing THAT game with our hair on fire...i don't know what i'll say.

VN Store

Back