Kentucky is fools gold

I've watched a couple of their games...I dunno if they are markedly better talent wise, but they are definitely a better coached team than in the past. They are young in some spots, but in the spots that matter they have experience and depth. Only time will tell.

They have athletes in places they didnt have em last year. They still lack depth but they.have better players at several positions and definitely look better coached questionable schedule or not.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see why that's so hard to believe. Even though we beat them for almost 3 decades straight there were several good games in there. Especially when Rich Brooks was there.

Never said it was "hard to believe" that they are much improved, just that it's sad we are concerned with them at this point mid way through the season..

They're a improved team. You have to hope our oline improves over the course of the year. If not something else is wrong besides youth and inexperience.

It only leaves coaching and lack of ability. The real problem is if it turns out to be both.

I was all for dropping the OU game, may not be such a bad idea for next year. Schedule Kansas if we need to play a big 12 team that bad.

Already on the schedule...we play them at home...gonna be awesome.

UK has also played five of their 6 games at home. They're better, better be ready to play them.

KY has the edge over TN at OL, DL, QB, DB's and at RB with Hurd hurt. That leaves LB's, WR's, punting, and kicking field goals. Medley has made 9 out of 12 attempts. But you usually don't win in the SEC kicking field goals.

You lost me after OL.

UK is a team with nothing to lose and playing good ball. Sometimes I think the current UT players are at a disadvantage with all the past UT mystique and the 102k rabid fans. Like the UF game I think they let the emotional baggage weigh them down. We played UF worse than UK did.

I would have to say that they are more disciplined and better coached than we are at the moment. We will just have to wait and see how both of our seasons turn out but I would not sleep on them.

Everybody has jumped on the Kentucky bandwagon. Why? Because they beat South Carolina. The same team Texas A & M beat badly which caused pundits to jump on their bandwagon. Since, The Aggies have proven to be fools gold and is headed for a four loss season. Missouri got a big bump in the ratings. Why? South Carolina. They are trending down and Matty Mauck is playing terribly. Everybody has used Carolina as a gauge and over rating their opponents.

The SEC has four really good teams, two pretty good teams, seven teams that can beat each other on a given day, and one lousy bum. I don't believe there is a great team in this league, in spite of the ratings.

Looking at the schedule, and when we play opponents, 7-5 is not out of the question.

Kentucky isn't supposed to beat S. Carolina. Ever. And they usually don't. USCe isn't as good as advertised, and Mark Stoops has UK playing better than expected. I haven't seen a lot of "bandwagon" jumping for them, but for good reason, people are surprised they're sitting at 5-1.

They obviously loaded up the first half of the schedule with 3 non-conference teams they knew they should beat. ULM was the real question mark. Just ask Alabama & Arkansas. Scheduling those games was smart, and they likely counted on beating Vandy as well, so there's 4 W's. Smart scheduling for a young team. Build their confidence, then throw'em to the SEC wolves and see what happens.

Like others have said, the back half of their schedule is just a lot stronger, but even with that, I don't see a single team on there maybe other than Miss. St. that they're not capable of beating. And that certainly hasn't been the case in previous years for sure.

Either way, GO VOLS!

I find it funny that after UK beat South Carolina, they become the Seattle Sea Hawks of the NFL. Yes, they are a much improved team but they're schedule hasn't actually been as hard as ours. Talent wise, we should win, plus we get them at Neyland so I'm pretty comfortable that we'll win.

Everybody has jumped on the Kentucky bandwagon. Why? Because they beat South Carolina. The same team Texas A & M beat badly which caused pundits to jump on their bandwagon. Since, The Aggies have proven to be fools gold and is headed for a four loss season. Missouri got a big bump in the ratings. Why? South Carolina. They are trending down and Matty Mauck is playing terribly. Everybody has used Carolina as a gauge and over rating their opponents.

The SEC has four really good teams, two pretty good teams, seven teams that can beat each other on a given day, and one lousy bum. I don't believe there is a great team in this league, in spite of the ratings.

Looking at the schedule, and when we play opponents, 7-5 is not out of the question.

Well I didn't see this coming. Figured you'd start a thread about how Kentucky's rb Heard is better than UTs rb Hurd.

Kentucky is 1 win away from being bowl eligible, Tennessee is 3 wins away. Now UK hasn't played the schedule that Tennessee has but they have a ton of momentum right now and those guys would run through a wall for stoops. They have decent QB play and a good OL, throw in their decent running game I would compare them to vandy from last year. They may not have all the talent but they've been coached up and they believe.

Agreed. They have athletes all over the field, you can see it when they play. They'll come into Neyland a talented and very confident team. We'll struggle to beat them imo.

KY has the edge over TN at OL, DL, QB, DB's and at RB with Hurd hurt. That leaves LB's, WR's, punting, and kicking field goals. Medley has made 9 out of 12 attempts. But you usually don't win in the SEC kicking field goals.

i disagree on DL, DB's, and at RB. Towles is better than Worley though

So basically you're saying we shouldn't take Kentucky serious again? We should just count it as a win. So what if South Carolina is overrated, Kentucky has been playing exceptionally well. They could upset us and we need to play our A game that day.

I think that the main thing that people need to remember is that if Spurrier doesn't go full potato, USCjr wins that game going away. It was clear to anyone watching the game, including the announcers, that if the Gamecocks would have keep the game on the ground, UK couldn't stop them. Why they decided to go to the air and keep it there is beyond me.

If you look at them through that light, they are 4-2 with their best win a 17-7 win over vandy. Yes, they played close against Florida on the road, but they also gave up 30 points to a horrible Florida offense. I am not saying they are a bad team, but I think we beat them by 10 to 14 points.

Agreed. They have athletes all over the field, you can see it when they play. They'll come into Neyland a talented and very confident team. We'll struggle to beat them imo.

Sounds to me like the exact same evaluation that many had about Utah State and Arkansas State. Lots of wins. Lots of confidence.

The problem is that the evaluation doesn't include any consideration of the quality of win. Besides SCAR there is no indication that KY is a team over performing and a look at SCAR indicates, to me, that team is uncharacteristically struggling.

Kentucky has a very tough row to hoe between now and our match up that will show their real improvement. It could also easily cancel out any supposed swagger that you believe they might have.

Kentucky is Kentucky.

Texas players were saying the same thing about Baylor a couple of weeks back - they lost 28-7.

Historic inadequacy will have no bearing on their ability to beat us next month. Having a 2 game losing streak to Vanderbilt should have already taught you that.

UK has taken advantage of a week schedule. Mark it down. They won't win another game this year!
@LSU- loss
MS St- loss
@Missori-loss
UGA- loss
@UT- loss
@Louisville- loss
Their best shot at a win is against us and that's not going to happen. This will be another UK team that will not go bowling. I'll take our chances over theirs any day of the week.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back