Kentucky fans/media losing their minds over "back to back home losses."

Their rosters are too young for modern day college basketball and Cal doesn't coach at a level to overcome that.
Who does? Our 5* 1&D guys haven’t made crazy huge impacts either. Seems like there’s only a couple of those each season who are hugely impactful and they are typically surrounded by some quality upperclassmen.

After seeing their 7 footer with his leg shaking on the bench after Awaka confronted him….
Well need I say more!

I hate them as much as anyone, but they lost in the Elite Eight on a buzzer-beater in 2017 and in OT in 2019, and lost in the waning seconds of the Sweet Sixteen in 2018, so they could very well have had a couple more Final Fours since then. They have been garbage in March the last three seasons.
Do you know Cals birthday?

Until you've spent time in Lexington, you simply cannot grasp just how much losing to Tennessee at Rupp sticks in their collective craws. The fact that Barnes is three out of his last 5 there rankles them worse than losing to Florida does to us,

@90 VOL will vouch for this.

EVERYTHING, all year round, revolves around basketball.

Back when I was selling food, I spent at least one week a month in Lexington. Between being admonished to "Tubby-size" my drink at various C-stores and them somehow working "Go Big Blue" into EVERY radio and local TV ad (even for funeral homes!), I felt as a pilgrim in an unholy land.

EVERY conversation revolved around UK basketball. That, and beating Tennessee.

There is a nagging suspicion in my mind that as long as they beat UT twice in basketball and beat Louisville, even if they lost the rest of their games, they'd consider it a successful season.

You think Knoxville is focused on UT sports? Bah! We are rank amateurs.

Hell, Sunday I was considering asking some of my contacts in the food biz if they'd hire me for this week just to go to Lexington and bask in it all.

Until you've spent time in Lexington, you simply cannot grasp just how much losing to Tennessee at Rupp sticks in their collective craws. The fact that Barnes is three out of his last 5 there rankles them worse than losing to Florida does to us,

@90 VOL will vouch for this.

EVERYTHING, all year round, revolves around basketball.

Back when I was selling food, I spent at least one week a month in Lexington. Between being admonished to "Tubby-size" my drink at various C-stores and them somehow working "Go Big Blue" into EVERY radio and local TV ad (even for funeral homes!), I felt as a pilgrim in an unholy land.

EVERY conversation revolved around UK basketball. That, and beating Tennessee.

There is a nagging suspicion in my mind that as long as they beat UT twice in basketball and beat Louisville, even if they lost the rest of their games, they'd consider it a successful season.

You think Knoxville is focused on UT sports? Bah! We are rank amateurs.

Hell, Sunday I was considering asking some of my contacts in the food biz if they'd hire me for this week just to go to Lexington and bask in it all.
You are right about this. I’ve lived in Kentucky for 20 years and the obsession with BBN is downright nauseating.

You are right about this. I’ve lived in Kentucky for 20 years and the obsession with BBN is downright nauseating.
Same. Been here 14 years and it's accurate. Seeing a glimmer of hope in football has only made it worse. They legitimately think they're something until early-mid October when their 5-0, 6-0 record starts collecting Ls, and they finish 7-5. The support for slightly above average results in football and now basketball is actually quite impressive.

The sensitivity UK fans have over not being the bestest ever of all times at basketball is just a five care pileup of comedy gold. You think they're entitled down in Tuscaloosa? Hold my beer, Kentucky basketball fans are here. They're practically besides themselves over the fact they lost back to back games. And don't even start them on the idea of Gonzaga beating them at home next week. Kentucky has never lost three consecutive games at home, and they'll be damned if they accept that. Yada yada, so on, so forth. Just utterly hilarious to see them have to deal with even the prospet of having only an above-average year.

Remember Matt Jones? Mr. "Tennessee will never be relevant in football again" himself, who ran around on ESPN chortling about how Tennessee would never again be a great program? He's absolutely adamant that Kentucky's current state is unacceptable. Again, their team is 15-6, but it is completely unacceptable. "We are playing at a level that is not the Kentucky standard."

But why stop there? Let's take a peek in the ol' Rupp's Rafters to see how it's going -

"We could make the Final Four with Calipari this year and I’d still want him gone."

"Calipari is a misfit and history will record him as the worst hire in UK basketball history [...]"

"They can do whatever they want, but after 45 years it’s it for me. I don’t even recognize what I’m watching anymore. It’s certainly not Kentucky Basketball."

"Force him out: stop going to games, stop watching them, boo him."

If I had been the AD or the President of UK, I would have told he will issue an apology asap, and I would have told the team, if there is another incident like that one, that the season will be shut down and they will not be living in the basketball lodge."

"It is going get EXTREMELY rough on him from EVERYONE now. National media, local media, fans, boosters, etc are going to BASH away on him and it is not going to let up."

"UK Basketball is a dead man walking! I refuse to spend another dime or anything UK related until Cal is gone!"

"Shouldn't come as a surprise, Calipari's been losing to inferior coaches for years"

"The fact that as Kentucky fans we are even having a discussion about making the tournament says a lot."

"It is a scary time to be a UK fan. It has never been this bad. Not Sutton, Not Tubby, Not Billy Clyde. This is the pits of hell engulfing a program."

"He has earned my hatred. Downright hateful disgust at that man."

"There just sin't any justification for this season and the way Cal has handled it. The record is awful and completely unacceptable."

"Weak wimps all of them. Especially Askew and Boston."

Again, just to underline the point - they're 15-6. How the population of Kentucky wasn't cut in half by that 9-16 year is beyond me.
In all seriousness how is this any different from these same forums when a game is lost in FB or BB? All fan bases are severely bi-polar.

It’s all they have. No pro sports, no music scene , no beach ect.A lot of folks in states like Kentucky tie their happiness and self worth to the success of their college sports teams, Tough way to live because there is only one champ every year.

The last time they had a problem they solved it by trying to find the best coach in America and gave him the biggest contract ever seen in college basketball. In other words buy their way back. They even stole 2 recruits from Memphis to get them started. All they have proven is you can't take 6 or 7 - 5 star, one and done, first round pick players every year and win the NCAA championship. The continuous rub is that I have never seen them recruit a player for his defensive prowess, other than shot blocking. There are 2 sides to every basketball court and you can't learn how to play defense in 6 months.
No what they have really proven is that Calipari can't do that.

Reactions: volfaninky
Kentucky got a head start on everybody in the SEC in basketball. To their credit, they took it seriously first. Most SEC programs were letting football assistants coach the basketball team for a while. Over the years when other programs started to pour money into their programs, it’s become impossible to dominate the conference like they once did. Their fans are delusional and don’t understand it
They figured football was a lost cause.

They are flying high and trying to decide who they will play in the first game of the final 4 after dog whipping Vanderbilt.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The sensitivity UK fans have over not being the bestest ever of all times at basketball is just a five care pileup of comedy gold. You think they're entitled down in Tuscaloosa? Hold my beer, Kentucky basketball fans are here. They're practically besides themselves over the fact they lost back to back games. And don't even start them on the idea of Gonzaga beating them at home next week. Kentucky has never lost three consecutive games at home, and they'll be damned if they accept that. Yada yada, so on, so forth. Just utterly hilarious to see them have to deal with even the prospet of having only an above-average year.

Remember Matt Jones? Mr. "Tennessee will never be relevant in football again" himself, who ran around on ESPN chortling about how Tennessee would never again be a great program? He's absolutely adamant that Kentucky's current state is unacceptable. Again, their team is 15-6, but it is completely unacceptable. "We are playing at a level that is not the Kentucky standard."

But why stop there? Let's take a peek in the ol' Rupp's Rafters to see how it's going -

"We could make the Final Four with Calipari this year and I’d still want him gone."

"Calipari is a misfit and history will record him as the worst hire in UK basketball history [...]"

"They can do whatever they want, but after 45 years it’s it for me. I don’t even recognize what I’m watching anymore. It’s certainly not Kentucky Basketball."

"Force him out: stop going to games, stop watching them, boo him."

If I had been the AD or the President of UK, I would have told he will issue an apology asap, and I would have told the team, if there is another incident like that one, that the season will be shut down and they will not be living in the basketball lodge."

"It is going get EXTREMELY rough on him from EVERYONE now. National media, local media, fans, boosters, etc are going to BASH away on him and it is not going to let up."

"UK Basketball is a dead man walking! I refuse to spend another dime or anything UK related until Cal is gone!"

"Shouldn't come as a surprise, Calipari's been losing to inferior coaches for years"

"The fact that as Kentucky fans we are even having a discussion about making the tournament says a lot."

"It is a scary time to be a UK fan. It has never been this bad. Not Sutton, Not Tubby, Not Billy Clyde. This is the pits of hell engulfing a program."

"He has earned my hatred. Downright hateful disgust at that man."

"There just sin't any justification for this season and the way Cal has handled it. The record is awful and completely unacceptable."

"Weak wimps all of them. Especially Askew and Boston."

Again, just to underline the point - they're 15-6. How the population of Kentucky wasn't cut in half by that 9-16 year is beyond me.

The most disturbing thing, and it isn't limited to Kentucky fans, is how seriously and personally so many people take college (and pro) sports these days. Not that there wasn't always this element, but social media and gambling has amplified it x 1000. The venom and hatred is borderline psychotic.

" 9-1-1--what's your emergency"
caller " I'm a Kentucky fan"
9-1-1--" are there any adults in the house ?"
caller-- NO

Reactions: Volanta

VN Store

Back