Just hire Steele

I would assume even if are paying him that it's a really bad idea having Steele talk to recruits if you can't promise them he is going to be on the staff if they come? If I was a recruit I would absolutely want to know that the guy who is making the pitch will not be gone a few weeks later when the new staff is announced. And Steele is unlikely to have any other position on the Heupel staff other than DC (assuming he even wants that).

I haven't heard he was talking to new recruits since the signing days have past. He may be talking to players at UT now on the fence for some reason but as far as 2022 class recruits I doubt it.

Maybe some people will start to realize there's more to it than just throwing money at a coach and thinking he'll accept.

We're not an attractive job right now. Dysfunctional admin. Unknown sanctions. And I wonder how much having to be a defensive coordinator under a Heupel quick scoring offense may turn away some DCs. That will put a lot of pressure on the defense and might make a defensive coordinator look bad if his defense is always on the field.

why would you say such! You would run off anyone close to deciding if they will take the job. Maybe you are not a vol fan

What the heck does this even mean? Why would the defense have to be compatible with the offense?
Well let’s say you have a fast pace O that scores with a quick tempo and the D is a sit back or 3 and Chavis style. you need a D that attacks aggressively to cause havoc and turnovers via int, fumbles, three and out, or turnover on downs to give the O extra plays.
I’m not saying Steele can’t do this, I’m just saying Steele has not done this consistently while at Auburn. Auburn had quality O playmakers and on the D side. Some games were tarnished by the D not getting the turnovers it needed.
o

Well let’s say you have a fast pace O that scores with a quick tempo and the D is a sit back or 3 and Chavis style. you need a D that attacks aggressively to cause havoc and turnovers via int, fumbles, three and out, or turnover on downs to give the O extra plays.
I’m not saying Steele can’t do this, I’m just saying Steele has not done this consistently while at Auburn. Auburn had quality O playmakers and on the D side. Some games were tarnished by the D not getting the turnovers it needed.
o

We had a similar problem during Dooley's final year - explosive offense and Sunseri defense that was aggressive scheme by design. The problem of course is that top talent/speed is required to run that type of defense which is why it worked at Bama (for Pruitt as well) but not at UT. Given that our defense talent level right now is very suspect (especially with some departures) it's doubtful anyone can be hired to run this type of aggressive defense right away and be successful (and even more doubtful our fans will be patient enough to give someone couple of years to get that working assuming we can even close the gap in recruiting and bring in the required talent).

Just make Steele the DC and move on. The longer we drag this out and get turned down by position coaches for the DC position the worse it looks. It's embarrassing as a program that the damn LB coach at Ohio St doesn't want a huge pay raise and promotion to a major P5 school

It’s the Curse, everyone’s scared

The only people stressing out over this is some of you on this site. Heupel nor White appear to be concerned about the timing. As long as he gets who he believes he needs by the time spring practice starts, all is good. It would appease a lot the fan base to have one now but that is not Heupel's objective with this hire.
I think the more pressing issue is you have guys sitting there needing to know who DC coord is and how they fit in .. trying to assess the tranfer Portal or releases .. and also guys that are in the transfer Portal that might be interested dont know who the coaches are gonna be .. the longer it stretches out the more likely these kids move on ...

Reactions: TGVol
I think the more pressing issue is you have guys sitting there needing to know who DC coord is and how they fit in .. trying to assess the tranfer Portal or releases .. and also guys that are in the transfer Portal that might be interested dont know who the coaches are gonna be .. the longer it stretches out the more likely these kids move on ...
While I certainly understand your concern for the present recruiting I fully support CJH for getting it right and one that HE thinks will work for HIS program. The transfer portal will be there apparently for a while and I would think the norm for many teams moving forward would be to "reserve" a scholarship or two (depending on the situation you are in) to be used for transfers. I'm as impatient as anyone but I'd soon wait and get it as right as possible.

Reactions: Border Vol
We will end up massively overpaying just to lure a first time DC to this cluster.

If we do get anyone with legit DC experience we will have to overpay them as well.

Not many people want to be at UT right now and you can't blame them.

Just make Steele the DC and move on. The longer we drag this out and get turned down by position coaches for the DC position the worse it looks. It's embarrassing as a program that the damn LB coach at Ohio St doesn't want a huge pay raise and promotion to a major P5 school
I can coach defense and call plays!!! Heupel should read volnation for next DC....we are all experts!!!

I would assume even if are paying him that it's a really bad idea having Steele talk to recruits if you can't promise them he is going to be on the staff if they come? If I was a recruit I would absolutely want to know that the guy who is making the pitch will not be gone a few weeks later when the new staff is announced. And Steele is unlikely to have any other position on the Heupel staff other than DC (assuming he even wants that).

Why would he want the DC slot and all the crap that will go with it and put the same money in the bank by coaching a position here? Pretty sure AU money and UT money will spend the same! He can pretty much take a year off and wait for other offers in better shape than we will be after the NCAA is done. OR he can go to the house and do whatever he wants if we run him off. Our call.

Since we have a pretty good idea we will be getting an unproven DC, why put up the big money? Let's pay low money and expect meh results.

Kevin Steele is a fine coordinator, but his defenses aren't as aggressive as we need. With the up tempo offense, you have to have a defense that is as aggressive as possible. Steele is solid, but that's not his style.

Why would he want the DC slot and all the crap that will go with it and put the same money in the bank by coaching a position here? Pretty sure AU money and UT money will spend the same! He can pretty much take a year off and wait for other offers in better shape than we will be after the NCAA is done. OR he can go to the house and do whatever he wants if we run him off. Our call.

He would want it because if we offered him the actual DC position (Steele was not brought in as DC as far as I know) he would make much more money (probably $1.5M per year vs $500K)?

He would want it because if we offered him the actual DC position (Steele was not brought in as DC as far as I know) he would make much more money (probably $1.5M per year vs $500K)?
He gets same 2.5 combine from Auburn and Tenn ...we aint paying him more .. if we paid him 1.5 then Auburn would only pay 1 million .. noway Jose .. Auburn on hook for 2 million .. gonna stay that way..

I honest to god can not figure out WHY they just won't hire Steele...He is a proven DC...Unless they have something more in store for him or maybe he doesn't want the stress and wants to collect that buyout money and relax for a little while....Just seems odd that we got us a good DC right under our nose and they won't give him the job or even mention him for the job...Crazy

Reactions: CJBlaze
I understand the tempo thing but shouldn't ALL defenses be aggressive and try and cause turnovers?

Reactions: OllVol

For the first two years until we pay him more than 2.5 mil it is not more money in his pocket!!! Every dollar we pay him comes out of his money from AU.....

VN Store

Back