JUCO Linemen

he didn't say its butches fault, just that we should be concerned with the lack of talent we have. missed on #1 player in the state, that sux!!! no depth, and low level talent(no offense to current players), and thats going to be our downfall this year

Absolutely! Richmond isn't the reason I have been stating my concern about our o-line. I have some people I highly trust who are more right than wrong usually, and they are very close to UT. Ones even held season tickets for over 30 years. They have all expressed their concern toward o-line recruiting. The Eric Fisher BS is so over played. He's a freak athlete, and a 1 out of 10,000 player out of high school. We need more then just one great T. We need 4 or 5. The best teams put young guys at RT first, then over time move them to LT. Thomas, Kendrick, Jones, and possibly Hall fit that description. That leaves Blair and Kerbs as upperclassman who can play LT. This should be our philosophy. We should be landing 1-2 OT every year, with one being a highly saught after player, FYI go by offer list not what 247 and rivals says to determine how highly ranked players are compared to their competition, and then we should take those highly saught after OTs and put them at RT and let them learn the game a few years. Once they gain some SEC game experience and master their techniques, we can then move them to LT. You do this year in and year out and you will never have to worry about your o-line.

Now in terms of Richmond I'm hoping CBJ and Mahoney havent made their first big recruiting mistake. If you are going to turn down very good OT prospects because you are going all out on one player, then you might want to make sure you know without a doubt he's yours come NSD. Memphis isn't our breeding ground. Those kids don't bleed orange. They aren't exposed to UT like kids from Nashville or Chatt. are. In the end, how CBJ and Mahoney handle this until NSD may end up being the single most important factor in us becoming a SEC contender in 2016. We land Shy, Sapp maybe, a top DB, maybe Phiilips, and we have rebuilt our defense to a top 25 one come 2016. We have our QBs, our WRs, TEs, and RBs as well. We even have a great start at replenishing great depth at guard, but the T position, especially LT, is a huge concern. We need 2-3 more solid T prospects, especially with Hall hurt now. We also need a true C prospect sometime before 2016 as we'll.

Last edited:
Boulware and Jones might be able to play RT, but Stewart is definitely an OG.

Absolutely! Richmond isn't the reason I have been stating my concern about our o-line. I have some people I highly trust who are more right than wrong usually, and they are very close to UT. Ones even held season tickets for over 30 years. They have all expressed their concern toward o-line recruiting. The Eric Fisher BS is so over played. He's a freak athlete, and a 1 out of 10,000 player out of high school. We need more then just one great T. We need 4 or 5. The best teams put young guys at RT first, then over time move them to LT. Thomas, Kendrick, Jones, and possibly Hall fit that description. That leaves Blair and Kerbs as upperclassman who can play LT. This should be our philosophy. We should be landing 1-2 OT every year, with one being a highly saught after player, FYI go by offer list not what 247 and rivals says to determine how highly ranked players are compared to their competition, and then we should take those highly saught after OTs and put them at RT and let them learn the game a few years. Once they gain some SEC game experience and master their techniques, we can then move them to LT. You do this year in and year out and you will never have to worry about your o-line.

Now in terms of Richmond I'm hoping CBJ and Mahoney havent made their first big recruiting mistake. If you are going to turn down very good OT prospects because you are going all out on one player, then you might want to make sure you know without a doubt he's yours come NSD. Memphis isn't our breeding ground. Those kids don't bleed orange. They aren't exposed to UT like kids from Nashville or Chatt. are. In the end, how CBJ and Mahoney handle this until NSD may end up being the single most important factor in us becoming a SEC contender in 2016. We land Shy, Sapp maybe, a top DB, maybe Phiilips, and we have rebuilt our defense to a top 25 one come 2016. We have our QBs, our WRs, TEs, and RBs as well. We even have a great start at replenishing great depth at guard, but the T position, especially LT, is a huge concern. We need 2-3 more solid T prospects, especially with Hall hurt now. We also need a true C prospect sometime before 2016 as we'll.

So doesnt this mean Kendrick plays LT for now, Blair finishes getting in shape. We eventually slide Thomas over and develop Jones at RT and eventually slide him over to LT? Same with Hall. All have the requisite height and weight. Technique is a matter of coaching.

Reactions: 1 person
So doesnt this mean Kendrick plays LT for now, Blair finishes getting in shape. We eventually slide Thomas over and develop Jones at RT and eventually slide him over to LT? Same with Hall. All have the requisite height and weight. Technique is a matter of coaching.

It's what I'd do. I'd move Kerbs over to LT for now, even though I believe he's best at RG/LG. I'd put Kendrick and Thomas at RT. Come next year, I'd have a 5 man battle for all spots on the o-line. That means Jackson's spot as well. Come 2015 I'm putting the best five on the field no matter the last name. Right now, we are going to lick our wounds and plug and play. Kendrick and Thomas will both be getting looks at both T spots by years end IMO, and both will gain needed game experience for the future. I'm a big fan of both Kendrick and Thomas, I'm a really big fan of Robertson; however, Kendrick and Thomas have no business playing LT right now. What do you do if you are CBJ and Mahoney :dunno: There's just no real solution this year, and that's not our current staff's fault. Still, it has to be fixed fast through great recruiting. Like I said, I like our potential guards, I like Thomas, Jones, and Kendrick as well, but quality depth wise we are a long ways away.

People are upset still because Blair hasn't been the savior of our offensive line. I think it would have been a possibility earlier in the cycle, but we have probably missed out on the guys that could provide the most assistance immediately. It is also pretty apparent that we can't rely on JUCO to help with depth. We need sustained depth. Guys who have been in the system a while, have been through our S&C, our film sessions, etc. We need HS guys that we our coaches can teach, not one and done JUCOs.

True but we are in a unique situation. Dooley signed zero OL in 2012 and it has killed our depth at the position. Ideally we would want only HS guys who we can develop. However when you're trying to rebuild depth at the position, JUCO guys can become a vital piece of the puzzle. Just because Blair has not panned out yet doesn't mean he stinks or all JUCOs are unreliable.

Given our current situation and the recent injury to Hall, I think we have to look toward some JUCO guys. CBJ is building depth but it's a couple of years away. Just look at this season to see what no depth will get you. We need some JUCO guys. It's that simple.

I know we missed on Richmond and people are down and out, but I've been pleased with our OL recruiting. We return all but one opening day starter next year and have seen really good things out of guys like Robertson despite him just recently getting moved. We have our future RT in Thomas and I truly believe that next year with Kendrick and Blair getting another year in the system we will have a serviceable LT to go along with a very experienced OL.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, no to a JUCO, and if we do take 1 or 2, we are in more trouble than we think along the OL.

I have been happy with OL recruiting as well. However the injury to Hall changes things a little.

True but we are in a unique situation. Dooley signed zero OL in 2012 and it has killed our depth at the position. Ideally we would want only HS guys who we can develop. However when you're trying to rebuild depth at the position, JUCO guys can become a vital piece of the puzzle. Just because Blair has not panned out yet doesn't mean he stinks or all JUCOs are unreliable.

Given our current situation and the recent injury to Hall, I think we have to look toward some JUCO guys. CBJ is building depth but it's a couple of years away. Just look at this season to see what no depth will get you. We need some JUCO guys. It's that simple.

Looking at the JUCO players for this cycle I would say take some HS guys instead. There are not any impressive tackles in the JUCO ranks that I can find.

This is entirely too logical and simplistic to accept on VN. Rework this and try again. :)

Coleman Thomas played Center in HS, so he is always an option. Wiesman and Raulerson are trained backups for Center as well. I'm more concerned with Tackle position. I almost expect Mosley to go there next year and I wouldn't be surprised if Robertson moves there as well. I believe he has the frame for it.

My name's not Shirley, but two JuCo OTs smells like someone's panicking a tad too much. If there's one can't miss prospect ready to come in day one and start, I'm all for it(though Blair hasn't worked out), but we can't throw 2 schollies at JuCo OTs imo.

VN brother, it seems like you have an axe to grind with our O-line coach. I am concerned about our whole O-line not just OT. WE ARE ADDRESSING THESE NEEDS, AND LIKE EVERY TEAM DOES, WE MISSED ON A RECRUIT TODAY. We had focused on Drew and be it $, peer pressure, or he just plain preferred OM then so be it. But do not blame this O-line coach for our current problems. Blame the real culprits, the dam Dofus Dooley coaching staff that did not recruit worth a dam and went one whole class and did not sign a single, not one single, offensive lineman. CBJ and his staff are having to piece together a line because they were not left with many parts to build one. In four years then it is on CBJ, but not now, not this year and not next year.

Good post! Glad somebody else realizes that the lack of offensive lineman goes back to Dooley's inability, or lack of priority to recruit quality line prospects each year. Still puzzles me how you don't take one freaking offensive lineman in a recruiting class. Guess that's what you get when you hire a coach with a famous last name from La Tech. God I'm glad the Dooley era is over, but hate that we are still suffering from his time here.

Surely I'm not the only one who would like to see us take about two Juco offensive linemen? Preferably offensive tackles.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

They can't be like Blair though. They have to show up on campus in shape and ready to play and not red shirt.

When you recruit a JUCO, you expect them to play as a starter immediately but in the case of Blair, he is likely to be red shirted.

This tells you how badly the coaching staff missed on this guy.

They can't be like Blair though. They have to show up on campus in shape and ready to play and not red shirt.

When you recruit a JUCO, you expect them to play as a starter immediately but in the case of Blair, he is likely to be red shirted.

This tells you how badly the coaching staff missed on this guy.

Along with almost every other major college coaching staff in the country. The coaches cannot force him to eat properly and workout to be in shape when he arrives on campus. That responsibility is on him. Look at how many of our freshman came in physically ready to compete from day one, and because of it, they are playing significant minutes, along with the fact that we have a thin roster.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back