JP Morgan = Lane Kiffin of finance/banking

What did they do wrong? Own oil tankers? Owning stock in electric, mines and oil companies is wrong? The guy blames republicans but Clinton signed those laws.

Let's see. They were originally convicted of bribing multiple government officials and brokers over at least seven years to win municiple bond auctions at below market interest rates. I don't know how much they stole from taxpayers, but it's a $3.7T per year market and GE was willing to pay $70M just to make it go away.

They got off on a technicality.

Last edited:
Did y'all know that "tesla" would be the richest folks in the world had GE and the like hadn't screwed the family?

We are talking trillions.....

Bill gates would be this guys butler.

Let's see. They were originally convicted of bribing bribing multiple government officials and brokers over at least seven years to win municiple bond auctions at below market interest rates. I don't know how much they stole from taxpayers, but it's a $3.7T per year market and GE was willing to pay $70M just to make it go away.

They got off on a technicality.

They got off b/c the prosecution star witness was in jail and tried to kill himself. Not exactly creditable.

They got off b/c the prosecution star witness was in jail and tried to kill himself. Not exactly creditable.

Where are you getting this info? The guys were convicted in spite of the witnesses attempted suicide during a break in his testimony. Here is a quote from reuters regarding the overturned conviction.

"But in their appeal, the defendants claimed that the July 27, 2010 indictment came too late, where the statutes of limitations are five years for conspiracy and six years for conspiracy to defraud the United States by violating tax laws."

Part of the defense lawyer's appeal was that the defense was not able to cross examine the witness but I haven't seen anywhere where the judges ruled that was the reason for overturning the conviction. Everything I have read is that on appeal 2 of the 3 judges ruled that the prosecution had not provided enough evidence that the criminal activity continued within the timeframe of the statute of limitations.

I recommend any of Matt Taibbi's Rolling Stone articles to get an idea of the type of fraud committed by the Wall Street banks. There may be some minor technical issues with his articles, but they capture the overall corruption.

As for being the world's best bank, let me borrow hundreds of millions of dollars at absurdly low interest rates, give me advanced information on federal reserve policies, and then let me risk that money on the stock market and I'd be rich too. Especially since the too big to fail banks know any major losses will be eaten by the taxpayer. Keep in mind that during the bailouts, the government decision makers were Goldman Sachs alumni.

What did they do that was so bad? How about rigging every market. The LIBOR scandal, gold price fixing, municipal bond rigging, aluminum market rigging, and that's just off the top of my head without even mentioning mortgage backed securities.

All these small fines have done is validate their business model.

You read and get info from Rolling Stone. L-O-L

Reactions: 1 person
Your timing is terrible...

The biggest banks have paid $180 billion in fines since the financial crisis - MarketWatch

The study determined that the heavy fines banks have faced during the post-crisis era are now seen as a cost of doing business.

U.S. banks, including J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. JPM, +2.30% and Goldman Sachs Group Inc. GS, +2.32% have paid a total of $115 billion in fines, while banks in Europe, including HSBC Holdings Plc HSBC, +1.47% and Barclays Plc BCS, +1.77% have paid $63 billion since 2009 through September of this year, according to the BCG study.

MW-BS528_jp_mor_20140114141316_MG.jpg

VN Store

Back