Josh Smith and Johnathon Johnson were our leading receivers yesterday...

I love it. I posted in another thread that at this point our starting 3 should be that top 3 you listed - Johnson, Smith, and North. What's crazy is how little anyone knew of Johnson - I don't even know where he's from, who else recruited him, etc. I'm sure someone will post a link on him, so thanks in advance. :)

Texas

He should have caught it, but drops happen to the best of them. Hopefully he won't dwell on it and will make the most of his next opportunity.

have to catch it but for a guy his size, over the outside shoulder and looking a little backwards is a tough catch

I guess, but to me it's not too surprising since it's Crooms first year playing and Worley's first year starting. They'll get together more (they'll have to in big games) and I think he'll have a breakout game in the next few weeks

Having said that, it would have been awesome if he caught that ball yesterday. Potential big confidence booster for both him and Worley

I see what you're saying, but it's Johnson and Smith's first year also. I think Croom will come around, I just expected him to catch a few passes in these first two games.

Both off the bench. Thoughts?

Josh Smith 3-36;
Johnathon Johnson 2-57;
Marquez North 2-27;
Alton Howard 1-8;
Marlin Lane 1-7;
Jacob Carter 1-6;
Brendan Downs 1-1.

I had the same thoughts and wondered why I hadn't heard of anyone on VN talking much about these guys. Everyone seems to favor North, Howard, Downs, etc.

I'm not really putting much stock into anything that UT has done up until this point though due to the quality of the opponents. After Fla, we'll know alot more about this team, players and coaching staff.

Reactions: 1 person
He should have caught it, but drops happen to the best of them. Hopefully he won't dwell on it and will make the most of his next opportunity.

I don't think our coaches will let him dwell on it. Maybe he'll get the same opportunity against Oregon next Saturday and the outcome will be much different.

Everyone has been bashing Worley for the past couple of weeks, but I can't help but notice that his throws to those guys yesterday were on the money. I think he has better chemistry with the two of them at the moment.

BTW. The deep throw to Johnson yesterday was only completed for 37 yards, but Worley threw it more than 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage and didn't really step into it.

Both off the bench. Thoughts?

Josh Smith 3-36;
Johnathon Johnson 2-57;
Marquez North 2-27;
Alton Howard 1-8;
Marlin Lane 1-7;
Jacob Carter 1-6;
Brendan Downs 1-1.

I love it! Don't know where those 2 came from but they've put out.
Really wanna see Crooms put it all together.
Most of all, I think our TEs have to do more. I like Downs, just needs more looks.

Smith is a legit receiver. Coach has to figure out better ways to get playmakers involved. Not disappointed in the results. GBO!!

Love watching J. Smith catch the football. No matter where it's put he reaches out and grabs the ball with his hands. Good receiver there.

He's got classic TE size. Wouldn't he be ideal for TE? I don't know how he blocks, but we aren't very good at TE, and he would seem to fit the bill.

Johnson and North made bigtime catches. Johnson's was underthrown or he could've had a TD. North's catch was thrown at his feet; he had to dive and bobble the ball off his body to catch it. Our young receivers showed a lot of promise yesterday.

Worley's best passes have been to the slot or crossing routes. So far he hasn't shown the arm strength or ability to hit the out or fly routes. I really hope they keep him to the short passes against Oregon.

I was the biggest critic in signing Smith out of high school but I like him a lot. I think he could be our 3rd down guy for the next several years - Alla Gerald Jones w/o the negative recruiting.

Worley's best passes have been to the slot or crossing routes. So far he hasn't shown the arm strength or ability to hit the out or fly routes. I really hope they keep him to the short passes against Oregon.

This. He can zip it to the flat but all of his deep throws are slightly short.

I think it's clear that Worley is not ready for down the fied throws. Much more effective with the short routes. I think we need to really work on slants and screens for him to develop some confidence. Then you can incorporate some pump and go routes and catch them when they start sitting on the quick outs, etc.

Reactions: 1 person
Pig, Smith, Johnson, Dallas, and carter all have sure hands and can run after the catch on short passes.

That's why I've honestly been a little confused with some of the offensive play calling. I respect what they've wanted to do with the deep passes and it's a good plan, but it's not in Worley's repertoire.

That's why I've honestly been a little confused with some of the offensive play calling. I respect what they've wanted to do with the deep passes and it's a good plan, but it's not in Worley's repertoire.

My only thought is that they are trying to get everyone involved or just trying plays out in live games. And will resort to what works best when necessary to stay in or win close games.

wish croom could have hauled in that long one. Also thought we would have seen more RB/WR screens in the first two games.

We've seen the last 2 weeks why Coach Jones called Croom a work in progress with a long way to go. Let the slant pattern go through his hands which would've been a TD vs APSU. And of course the dropped pass yesterday that might gone for 6. Sure hope the light turns on for this kid... talented, physical beast.

That being said, give us more Josh Smith. Looks great and is much more athletic than most wanna give him credit for being. Sure as hell doesn't look like a 3 star recruit to me.

Reactions: 3 people
FWIW, Hubbs said on Sports Talk a few weeks ago (prior to start of season) that Jo. Smith is in a position to see significant play on this team because he's a true receiver that has primarily played this position this entire life. More fundamentally sound than most of our other WRs.

Like another poster said, he'll be our possession receiver while he's here.

VN Store

Back