HooahVol

Josh Heupel's record after 3 years.​

renderTimingPixel.png

Overall: 27 – 12
Home: (18-4)
Away: (9-8) Includes neutral site and bowl games
Ranked: (8-8)
Bowl: (2-1)
2021 – 7-6 (4-4 SEC) Home: (5-3) Away: (2-3) Ranked: (1-3)
2022 – 11-2 (6-2 SEC) Home: (7-0) Away: (4-2) Ranked: (6-1)
2023 – 9-4 (4-4 SEC) Home: (6-1) Away: (3-3) Ranked: (1-4)
Record vs SEC: 14-10
1-0 VS -- Bowling green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, Ball State, Akron, UT Martin, Virginia, Austin Peay, UTSA, UConn
Pittsburgh - (1-1)
SEC Opponents
Vanderbilt – (3-0)
Kentucky – (3-0)
Texas A&M – (1-0)
LSU - (1-0)
Missouri – (2-1)
South Carolina – (2-1)
Florida – (1-2)
Alabama – (1-2)
Ole Miss – (0-1)
Georgia – (0-3)
BOWL Opponents
Purdue – (0-1)
Clemson – (1-0)
Iowa - (1-0)

Personally, considering the absolute mess he came in to I still consider this an A+ performance. That Florida record is my only needs improvement comment. As a fan I am still feel very fortunate he is our coach.

C (Average)
Looks like he js set at QB
Minus Florida, beat the average and bad teams.

Needs to improve on the road.
Recruiting needs work.
Major concerns with offensive line and wr.
Defense is a potential liability that can bite the team in close games next season.
Failed to improve coaching staff in the offseason.

Last edited:
Solid B+, Needs more wins against FL, Bama, GA then he gets an A.

Good point. I will not be too butt hurt if we lose to Georgia in Athens next year, Georgia is at peak program right now. But a loss to Bama under a new coach in Neyland and a loss to a really poor Florida team, again at home, would ruffle my feathers.

B minus. Some definitely memorable performances. Short yardage play calling and end of half time management is atrocious and he seems very limited on what staff he’s willing to work with.

I am concerned that he is loyal to a fault to his coaching staff.

I am concerned about his recruiting abilities.

I am concerned about his ability to manage a team on the road.

I am excited about his ability to win at home.

I am excited that he was able to find success with an explosive offense (22)

I am grateful that he beat Saban before he retired (nobody else could)

I will reserve my judgement until after this season. There is no doubt he inherited a dumpster fire, followed up by an inept QB and Secondary. But there are plenty of reasons to be both excited and concerned.

2-9 against FL, GA, AL is not good. Is he recruiting well enough? Does not seem so

You bring up a good point. He has, IMO, had a bit of free pass starting with nothing. Is year 4 the year the pass starts to expire? He now has his guys in place. Players he has developed. Again, I am very happy with how he has done and adjusted on the fly to deficiencies but it is starting to become his program now.

That is yet to be determined. Next two years will tell us a lot.
I think 3 years (especially with a transfer portal) is fair amount of time to judge. Is his recruiting terrible? No. But we should not be where we are in the secondary and offensive line.

In a way, maybe a 9 and 4 season this year was a blessing. Another 11 and 2 season and Bama might have tried to poach him. I am halfway serious here

Reactions: MemphisVol77
He's been twice as good compared to what he had the decade before him. The next 3 years we will get to see the players he recruited and the culture he built. It feels better than it ever did under Butch who was the last coach we got to see long enough to evaluate at this level.

C (Average)
Looks like he js set at QB
Minus Florida, beat the average and bad teams.

Needs to improve on the road.
Recruiting needs work.
Major concerns with offensive line and wr.
Defense is a potential liability that can bite the team in close games next season.
Failed to improve coaching staff in the offseason.
In the 2022 season we had our first real contender since 2001 and you gave him a C? I know the 2023 season could have been better but most reasonable fans predicted 8-9 wins. IMO, 8 or 9 wins feels like the floor with Heupel. The recruiting can be better but it is far from bad. Heupel has brought in his fair share of highly rated players in the last 3 classes. Hard to fault him too much for the 2021 signees. OL acquisitions in the portal are a must right now though. Are you grading on his overall record for the past three seasons or what you expect next year to be?

B minus. Some definitely memorable performances. Short yardage play calling and end of half time management is atrocious and he seems very limited on what staff he’s willing to work with.
The clock stuff is one of the few criticisms I've had of him. I think he stays a little too married to using tempo in late clock situations rather than clocking it or taking timeouts.

In the 2022 season we had our first real contender since 2001 and you gave him a C? I know the 2023 season could have been better but most reasonable fans predicted 8-9 wins. IMO, 8 or 9 wins feels like the floor with Heupel. The recruiting can be better but it is far from bad. Heupel has brought in his fair share of highly rated players in the last 3 classes. Hard to fault him too much for the 2021 signees. OL acquisitions in the portal are a must right now though. Are you grading on his overall record for the past three seasons or what you expect next year to be?
Overall. As for next season, I don't know what to expect. Hoping we will see improvement from last season. I don't expect the Vols to make the playoffs, so I am not going into next season with any unreal expectations.

Besides beating Florida, I would like to see him steal a win on the road or at home against an team he is not favored to beat.

Last edited:
The clock stuff is one of the few criticisms I've had of him. I think he stays a little too married to using tempo in late clock situations rather than clocking it or taking timeouts.

I don’t know where you do your game watching, but I have to admit that being in an almost all UT bar and hearing 40 grown men screaming “call time out “ at the same time is pretty funny.

Overall. As for next season, I don't know what to expect. Hoping we will see improvement from last season. I don't expect the Vols to make the playoffs, so I am not going into next season with any unreal expectations.

Dude if your overall grade of Heupel during his 3 years is a C, then you must have been underneath a rock from 2008-2020 or straight up trolling.

Josh Heupel's record after 3 years.​

renderTimingPixel.png

Overall: 27 – 12
Home: (18-4)
Away: (9-8) Includes neutral site and bowl games
Ranked: (8-8)
Bowl: (2-1)
2021 – 7-6 (4-4 SEC) Home: (5-3) Away: (2-3) Ranked: (1-3)
2022 – 11-2 (6-2 SEC) Home: (7-0) Away: (4-2) Ranked: (6-1)
2023 – 9-4 (4-4 SEC) Home: (6-1) Away: (3-3) Ranked: (1-4)
Record vs SEC: 14-10
1-0 VS -- Bowling green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama, Ball State, Akron, UT Martin, Virginia, Austin Peay, UTSA, UConn
Pittsburgh - (1-1)
SEC Opponents
Vanderbilt – (3-0)
Kentucky – (3-0)
Texas A&M – (1-0)
LSU - (1-0)
Missouri – (2-1)
South Carolina – (2-1)
Florida – (1-2)
Alabama – (1-2)
Ole Miss – (0-1)
Georgia – (0-3)
BOWL Opponents
Purdue – (0-1)
Clemson – (1-0)
Iowa - (1-0)

Personally, considering the absolute mess he came in to I still consider this an A+ performance. That Florida record is my only needs improvement comment. As a fan I am still feel very fortunate he is our coach.
Man, I have become a Josh fan for the mess he inherited and how he goes about business without drama but A+?

Maybe A-, he inherited a mess and he has made mistakes that he needs to grow from but considering what he started with, the results, the win over Bama and the trajectory over the program, I am not sure many could have done much better.

Reactions: ReelfootVol

VN Store

Back